Children Services Specialist - BILINGUAL
UMOM New Day Centers Phoenix, AZ
- Posted: over a month ago
The Children Services Specialist (CSS) is responsible for assisting with meeting the educational needs of children experiencing homelessness in shelter by connecting them with childcare providers, supporting school enrollment/attendance, applying for childcare subsidies, and coordinating exit planning. The CSS will support case managers by providing educational resources including maintaining strong working relationships with school districts, childcare providers, DES, and after-school programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as an ambassador of UMOM's children services strategy by supporting the regular implementation of educational services by program case managers. This includes training and supporting case managers to establish a comprehensive education/childcare plan for each child in the household as part of the family's overall case plan.
- Meet with all new parents to discuss the educational/developmental needs of their children.
- Help facilitate parents in completing their DES childcare subsidy applications, and enrollment paperwork.
- Assist parents with enrolling their children in school or childcare centers.
- Attend childcare tours with parents to assist in finding the most appropriate match.
- Complete enrollment visits and appropriate paperwork for new children enrolling in the after-school program.
- Organize transportation needs of children to ensure school stability in accordance with McKinney-Vento Act.
- Attend IFSP, Child Study Team, and IEP/504 meetings when appropriate with parents as a support.
- Identify children in need of intervention by completing developmental assessments and help coordinate, in consultation with case management staff, appropriate community resources referrals.
- Develop positive and professional relationships with school district staff to ensure that open lines of communication are maintained and provide technical assistance and/or training when asked as it relates to homeless children.
- Monitor school attendance when necessary and address any chronic attendance issues in partnership with student, parents and case management.
- Attend weekly case management staffing as it pertains to educational needs of children.
Qualifications and Competency Requirements:
Experience and Education
- Bachelor's degree required, ideally in a related field.
- Bilingual English-Spanish.
- Minimum 1-year experience working in a licensed childcare facility and/or school district required.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including occasional night and weekend shifts as needed.
- Knowledge of community resources and understanding of education and childcare system is preferred.
- Knowledge of non-profit sector; experience working with underserved or disadvantaged populations is a plus.
- Ability to develop strong relationships within a fast-paced, collaborative setting that values diverse opinions; enthusiasm for helping drive change as UMOM becomes a more data-driven organization.
- Basic computer literacy required, including, proficient in Windows operating system, Microsoft Outlook, web navigation, typing and text editing, and the ability to learn new software navigation.
- Valid Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card or the ability to obtain one
- Valid AZ driver's license and a driving record that falls within UMOM's policy
- Vehicle insurance in accordance with UMOM driving policy
- High level of attention to detail and ability to multitask
- Ability to exercise excellent independent judgment and ownership of decisions
- Ability to work independently and self-manage to achieve goals while being a strong team player
- Ability to organize, meet deadlines and prioritize appropriately
- Willingness to embrace and actively support UMOM's core values
UMOM New Day Centers
BusinessView all jobs at UMOM New Day Centers