To promote the well-being of the underserved by providing access to high-quality healthcare for all, regardless of ability to pay. Our services, activities and governance reflect the Islamic values and moral principles which inspired our founders. These include the core values which are universally shared and revered by society at large: Service, Compassion, Human Dignity, Social Justice, and Ethical Conduct.
Working at UMMA
UMMA is looking for passionate and mission-driven Staff who look to make an impact on the lives of our patients and the members of our community. These roles include Physicians and Medical Staff, Behavioral Health Staff, Administration, and more! For more information on the services we provide, Click Here
Benefits and Compensation
UMMA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package with comprehensive and cost-effective medical plans. Benefits package includes Medical, Dental, Vision, AD&D and Supplemental Life Insurance, Employee Assistance Program Tuition Reimbursement, loan repayment opportunities, 403(b) savings plan, employee discounts, extended lunch on Fridays, and more!. Our compensation plan also includes paid Holidays, Paid Time Off (accruals begin on the first day of hire), Employee Recognition, and more!!
Under the supervision of the Chief Medical Officer, the Clinic and Compliance Registered Nurse will work within a multi-disciplinary health care team in the delivery of comprehensive services for patients in a primary care setting. In addition to patient care, the RN and Compliance Officer assists the primary health care team, compliance department, and quality improvement department in the development and preparation of clinical compliance audits at the local, state, and federal level; inclusive of those associated with various health plans, HRSA, and other regulatory bodies.
The Clinic and Compliance RN will assure quality care for clinic patients and will coordinate patient care with providers and other clinical support staff to ensure quality patient outcomes are achieved. The Clinic and Compliance RN will work directly with the CMO and the Compliance Director to ensure UMMA’s compliance in FQHC policies and regulatory requirements and coordinate clinical compliance review and monitoring activities.
Clinical Driven Duties
- Provide clinical support to medical providers before and after primary care visits to ensure the timely delivery of quality medical care.
- Responsible for the processing of patients through the clinic to achieve an optimum patient flow, for maintaining open communication with providers, nursing and other clinic staff, and for promoting efficient utilization of nursing/MA staff services
- Responsible for assuring that nursing and clinic quality control and risk management measures are implemented
- Administer vaccines to patients per UMMA clinical guidelines.
- Responsible for providing patient education, for providing patient counseling on the patient’s health care plan and for documenting accordingly in the patient’s EHR
- Provide and appropriately document health education to patients.
- Participate in quality improvement activities as directed (e.g. data analysis and measurement of outcomes, document and report the results and accomplishments of quality improvement initiatives.)
- Triage patients who walk-in to clinic or call with acute medical concerns.
- Assist front office staff in making appropriate arrangements for patients who arrive late for appointments or for whom an appointment needs to be rescheduled, by reviewing the medical record and determining how soon and where the patient should be seen.
- Provide guidance for the clinic LVN and MAs by supporting the front and back office staff with the aim of maintaining efficiency, professional demeanor and courtesy toward patients. This may include serving as back up for the front and back office leads when needed.
- Participate in chronic disease management for selected patients with special
- Communicate lab results to patients.
- Performs nursing electronic health record (EHR) documentation reviews to assure compliance with EHR documentation policy and procedures.
Compliance Driven Duties
- Assist in the clinic transformation for FTCA compliance
- Collaborate with compliance team members to implement the compliance program.
- Proactively identify systemic issues and recommend solutions to update compliance materials, policies, and standard operating procedures.
- Oversee implementation of clinic emergency operations and emergency preparedness plans
- Prepare for clinical compliance audits at the local, state, and federal level; inclusive of those associated with various health plans, HRSA, and other regulatory bodies.
- Performs clinical systems compliance audits
- Conducts internal investigations involving general compliance and clinical issues under the direction of the director of compliance
- Educate and train clinical staff on ways to recognize, prevent, report, and resolve instances of conflict of interest, medical record documentation errors involving fraud, waste, and abuse, HIPAA privacy violations, and other compliance concerns
- Co-Chair monthly safety meetings
- Risk management assessments
- Monitor industry regulatory changes and distribute related communications. Access internal resources for information on compliance with laws and regulations relating to new or revised products and service offerings
This position may have supervisory responsibility to medical assistants and licensed vocational nurses. He or she may be expected to provide leadership and instruction to volunteers, students and less experienced staff.
All employees are expected to provide the very highest level of service to Clinic patients and their families. In addition, their work ethic is expected to reflect the Islamic values and moral principles that inspired its founders. These include the core values that are universally shared and revered by society at large:
The environment for this position is medical clinic that is clean and comfortable. It may include some minor annoyances such as noise, odors, drafts, etc. The incumbent is in a non-confined setting in which he or she is free to move about at will.
The employee may occasionally be exposed to emotionally upset patients/family members and be required to use personal protective equipment when participating in the treatment of patients with potentially communicable diseases.
EXPERIENCE / KNOWLEDGE:
To perform effectively in this position, the incumbent must have:
- Certificate to practice as a Registered Nurse by the CA Board of Registered Nursing.
- Leadership and/or management skills preferred.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Minimum 1-2 years’ experience in community clinic nursing and compliance (FQHC preferred)
- Knowledge of industry standards for Medicare, Medicaid, and regulatory standards for HRSA and FQHC regulatory standards
- Experience in compliance and HIPAA privacy regulations, policies and processes
- Experience with eCW (eClinical Works) electronic health records system
- Valid California Driver’s license
- Current CPR Certificate
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing preferred
- Graduate of an approved Accredited School of Nursing
In the course of performing this work, the incumbent:
- Will spend substantial time walking, standing, sitting, speaking and listening
- Must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- May travel via personal vehicle or public transportation to other facilities throughout Los Angeles
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
UMMA Community Clinic