- Posted: 11 days ago
- Benefits: 401k, dental, medical, vision,
University of Maryland Department of Transportation Services (DOTS) is seeking safety minded and personable individuals to add to our team of high performing CDL Driving Instructors. This role is a key contributor to the DOTS operations.The CDL Instructor will be responsible for all driver training functions for the CDL training program on campus.
The CDL Instructor trains and educates student employees in the necessary skills to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License in the State of Maryland. This position reports to the Safety and Training Manager and works with a team of CDL instructors. This role coaches and provides written and verbal feedback to all newly hired eligible drivers, in the operations of medium and heavy duty commercial passenger vehicles in accordance with Shuttle-UM policies, operational procedures, as well as State and Federal regulations.This position operates motorcoach and transit vehicles on assigned charters and other fixed route shifts, including some overnight and long distance travel for athletic team events. The CDL Instructor is responsible for training eligible drivers in motorcoach operation and best practices.
- Promote and maintain a positive learning environment
- Work with a training team of 8-10 CDL Instructors
- Train students employees in all areas of operation of medium and heavy-duty commercial passenger vehicles
- Instruct employees on safe and proper pre-trip, en-route and post trip vehicle inspections and procedures
- Conduct daily and routine safety checks of equipment prior to and during use, ensuring safe operation
- Instruct employees on safe and proper road driving
- Teach employees safe and proper backing, parking, and docking procedures.
- Deliver a standardized curriculum to prepare student employees for the CDL Exam
- Maintains accurate, up-to-date records of newly hired Shuttle-UM student drivers and full time drivers progress, performance, and attendance, using the tools and technology provided by UMD DOTS, as required by operational policy and procedure
- Delivers instructional material and draws on firsthand experiences to relate the material presented
- Maintains a safe environment for all students, faculty, and staff
- Abides by all Federal, state, and Shuttle-UM compliance rules and regulations.
- Serves as a charter driver in a motor coach vehicle within the borders of the continental United States
- Performs other job related duties as assigned
Benefits: The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package.
High School Diploma, GED or equivalent.
Three years in the operation of medium or heavy-duty commercial passenger vehicles. At least some experience in instructing others.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- General knowledge of the care and operation of motorized equipment.
- Skill in driving buses in all kinds of weather and road conditions and to assist passengers as required.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to problem-solve and respond appropriately to a variety of complicated passenger and driving issues.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in a learning environment and teach oral and written instructions.
- Ability to design training plans and assess skills of driving staff.
Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for the full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
- Associate’s Degree, or at least 60 credits toward a Bachelor’s Degree, at a regionally or nationally accredited higher learning institution
- Prior background in customer service environment(s), and exemplary performance within that/those environment(s)
- Experience and proficiency in operating and troubleshooting PC-based audio/visual/multimedia equipment and software
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Google Workspace products, particularly Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to write with standard English grammar
- Valid Maryland Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with passenger endorsement and NOT restricted for airbrakes.
- Current valid Class B CDL with Passenger Endorsement
- Current valid USDOT medical driver certification
- Age 21 or older (required by USDOT for interstate trip driving
- Good driving record & history with respect to accidents and moving violations
- Employees will be subjected to drug and alcohol education and testing as required under Federal Highway Administration and the State of Maryland regulations.
8537 Paint Branch DriveCollege Park, MD
Transportation and Storage
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?