Other companies make products. We make a difference! Click Here!
Contribute to a Safer, More Secure, and More Sustainable World. At UL, we know why we come to work. Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with one common purpose - to make the world a safer, more secure, and more sustainable place to live. We clear the way for our customers to introduce the latest products, technological advances, and systems in an increasingly complex world so they can provide peace of mind to the market. Our integrity is woven throughout our company and shapes the way we approach and deliver our solutions. We are proud that the work we do every day has a meaningful contribution to society. We continue to build upon our legacy of trusted expertise and partnership to keep our communities safe and secure as we march forward into the future. This helps us to sleep better at night, and we are confident that the millions of people we touch rest easier too.
A Field Engineering career with UL puts the safety of the world in your hands! Watch this video to learn more!
Under limited supervision, independently executes the timely completion of assigned work orders and other Inspection Center projects by analyzing scope and determining requirements, evaluating complex product and systems to establish requirements and preparing reports. Maintains the integrity of the UL Mark by conducting various product, device, process, system and material inspections at various site and factory locations to ensure that they are produced and marked in compliance with various applicable technical requirements. Assists in the promotion, marketing and selling of new and existing UL services. Works with internal and external customers to resolve technical and administrative issues. Analyses, evaluates, and where necessary, proposes changes to Field Services policies and manuals and Follow-Up Services programs. May participate in review and interpretation of quality assurance programs.
Candidate must be located in or willing to relocate to the Houston, TX area.
- Independently performs safety and non-safety certification inspections and field evaluations in accordance with the required performance standards and requirements. Analyzes and evaluates examination and test results against applicable requirements. Uses technical judgment to determine whether noncompliance variations compromise the continued application of the UL Mark and may determine if alternative is acceptable. May audit customer quality management/assurance programs.
- Interprets and analyzes examination and test results against UL requirements, verifying the accuracy of manufacturers' measuring equipment and reviewing production and inspection records. Periodically reviews manufacturers' programs of production, inspection, and shipping to ensure products are produced and marked in compliance with UL requirements. Evaluates and facilitates options for corrective action where variations from UL requirements are noted. Understands construction and test acceptance criteria in FUII and requirements of applicable sections of Standards, FUIIs and/or procedures for "Special Competency" required categories.
- Communicates with manufacturers and customers, Authorities Having Jurisdiction and others to conduct non-safety and safety certification inspections. Investigates the misuse of UL Mark. Provides general information on policies and procedures for the varied UL services along with promoting and explaining the benefits of new and existing services. Discusses procedures, test methods, test results, sample selection and variations in products, devices, processes, systems and materials as necessary to resolve problems, implement changes to existing requirements or help develop new requirements.
- Provides technical assistance in several product categories and/or inspection methods.
- Uses instruments to perform inspections, such as micrometers, voltmeters, ammeters, and other UL supplied equipment. Observes the use of manufacturer's equipment necessary to meet UL requirements. Confirms the proper calibration of manufacturers' measuring equipment and may perform calibration of UL supplied equipment.
- Documents examination, variations and test results to appropriate UL forms. Maintains logs for scheduling inspections, time and expenses. Performs various calculations in more than one specific engineering field such as electrical, mechanical, chemical, or fire protection.
- Participates in proposing changes to the UL Policy Manuals such as the Field Services Manual. Reviews and submits comments on the new Follow-Up Services programs. Coordinates with other UL staff on conducting the field portion of File Reviews.
- Resolves process, management system and possibly engineering issues associated with Variation Notices by analyzing and reporting on the acceptability of the variations. Understands and applies HBSE (Hazardous Based Safety Engineering) principles and concept correctly when necessary during VN handling.
- Integrates continuous improvement concepts and techniques into all aspects of the job.
- May participate in reviewing the work of other staff.
- May participate in reviewing and interpreting quality assurance program requirements to assist in implementation of alternate quality-based inspection programs.
- Performs other duties as directed.
Working towards a BSME or BSEE, seeking current students in their Junior year.
- ASQ certification a plus
- General electronics background, and strong mechanical and technical aptitude with the abili