The medical secretary position supports medical staff including physicians, physicians assistants etc. The role requires an administrative professional who is detail oriented, responsible, dependable, efficient, and has the ability to multi task while remaining courteous, informative, and empathetic towards patients. Travel to several of the office locations may be required.
- Rooming patients/checking patients out – generating work notes, orders, etc. based on the providers directive; schedule follow up appointments; coordinate imaging studies, consults, etc.
- Assists patients in booking follow up appointments
- Answers and directs incoming calls promptly and appropriately; listen and return voicemails.
- Schedule Surgeries following proper procedure. Call Surgery patients to confirm surgery times & pre-op instructions
- Prep Surgery charts – making sure they are complete with the required pre-op reports & faxed to the appropriate facility; Fax surgery consents and pre-op orders where required.
- Insurance and workers comp authorizations and verifications.
- Ensures patient has signed any required documents including HIPAA and Financial Policies
- Verifies patient demographic information is complete and correct including address, phone number, email, pharmacy, referring Doctor and PCP information and ensures required “Meaningful Use” fields are complete. Changes the location and doctor patient is seeing as applicable.
- Reviews all patient forms for accuracy and completion according to office policies prior to accepting. Demographic & medical history forms to be updated with change or annually.
- Verifies the date on x-ray orders. Asks patients if they are bringing outside films on cd
- Respects and protects the confidentiality of all patient and Company information through the adherence of all HIPAA guidelines and regulations
- Review & distribute daily progress notes to primary doctors and referring doctors
- Manage provider schedules, Serve as the point of contact for the office, Assist the provider with other responsibilities as requested
- Assumes other responsibilities as requested
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Medical terminology
- Healthcare environment
- Medent experience preferred
Skills and Competencies Requirements
- Excellent communication and customer service skills required. Must be able to multi-task and desire to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.