You will serve as a AIR CONDITIONING EQUIPMENT MECHANIC in the Maintenance Division of MARINE CORPS BASE HAWAII.
Learn more about this agency
- You will install, repair, and modify large/complex systems that provide for a variety of air conditioning functions such as heating, cooling, humidifying, dehumidifying, cleaning, filtering, and circulating.
- You will repair and maintain a variety of large commercial and industrial refrigeration and air conditioning systems and supporting equipment with complex problems and extensive repairs requiring judgment to locate malfunctions.
- You will calculate airflow and pressure-temperature characteristics and make repairs to faulty equipment to keep inoperative time to a minimum.
- You will select tools, decide on methods and techniques to use, and install a variety of parts including major portions of assigned systems and equipment, applying and interpreting information in blueprints, charts, and sketches.
- You will check for the probability of leaks by visual and audible examination of equipment, by application of prescribed test procedures and equipment, and by exploration of probable reasons for equipment failure.
- #### Job family (Series)
- Heating Installers
- Installers, Heating
- Installers, Refrigeration
- Refrigeration Installers
Conditions of Employment
- Relocation/Recruitment incentives may or may not be authorized.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify/.
- Selectee must be willing and able to obtain and maintain a valid state driver's license.
- Selectee must be willing and able to submit to a pre-employment physical exam prior to employment.
- Selectee must be willing and able to lift and/or carry loads/items up to 50 pounds in weight.
- Selectee must be willing and able to accept an "Emergency Essential" position. This entails continued performance of duties and responsibilities during periods of national emergencies and/or mobilization.
- Selectee must be willing and able to maintain good grooming standards in order to properly wear protective equipment while performing the duties of this position.
- Selectee must be willing and able to use protective clothing and gear and observe safety precautions.
- Selectee must be certified in the use of a respirator.
- Selectee must attend Electrical Code refresher course annually.
- Selectee must possess and maintain a EPA universal certifications. (NOTE: A copy of your certification must be submitted with your application. Failure to submit the required Certification will render you ineligible for this position).
Although a specific length of time and experience is not required for most trade and labor occupations, you must show through experience and training that you possess the quality level of knowledge and skill necessary to perform the duties of the position at the level for which you are applying. Qualification requirements emphasis is on quality of experience, not necessarily the length of time.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the job elements and screen out listed below.
This job has a screen-out element which will be used to determine minimum eligibility for this job. Applicants who do not receive a minimum of two points on the screen-out element(s) will be found ineligible. The Screen-out Element for this position is: making repairs to faulty equipment to keep inoperative time to a minimum.
Applicants must meet the requirements of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Job Qualification Handbook for Trades and Labor Occupations. Additional qualification information can be found at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/federal-wage-system-qualifications/#url=Overview
This position is covered by the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.
Additional vacancies may be filled by this announcement.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
If you are unable to apply online and request information about the Alternate Application process, please contact the Department of Navy's Employment Information Center.
Federal annuitant information: The selection of an annuitant is subject to the Department of Defense and Department of the Navy policy on the employment of annuitants. Policy information may be found at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf
ICTAP Applicants: To be considered well-qualified and exercise selection priority as an ICTAP candidate for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a rating in the highly qualified category or higher. For more information about ICTAP eligibility please review the following link: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/working-in-government/unique-hiring-paths/federal-employees/ictap/
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
In order to qualify for this position, your resume must provide sufficient experience and/or education, knowledge, skills, and abilities, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are being considered. Your resume is the key means we have for evaluating your skills, knowledge, and abilities, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your experience.
When the application process is complete, we will review your resume to ensure you meet the hiring eligibility and qualification requirements listed in this announcement. You will be rated based on the information provided in your resume and responses to the Occupational Questionnaire, along with your supporting documentation to determine your ability to demonstrate the following job elements:
- ABILITY TO DO THE WORK OF THE POSITION WITHOUT MORE THAN NORMAL SUPERVISION
- ABILITY TO INTERPRET INSTRUCTIONS AND SPECIFICATIONS, INCLUDING BLUEPRINT READING
- ABILITY TO USE AND MAINTAIN TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
- KNOWLEDGE OF EQUIPMENT ASSEMBLY, INSTALLATION, REPAIR, ETC.
- KNOWLEDGE OF MATERIALS
- TECHNICAL PRACTICES (THEORETICAL, PRECISE, ARTISTIC)
If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of three categories:
Best Qualified- Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for announced position.
Highly Qualified-Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for announced position.
Qualified- Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for announced position.
If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
If after reviewing your resume and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you inflated your qualifications and/or experience, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities or you may be found ineligible/not qualified.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
All qualifications requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required Documents
YOU ARE REQUIRED TO DOCUMENT IN YOUR APPLICATION PACKAGE EVIDENCE THAT SUPPORTS YOUR ELIGIBILITY AND QUALIFICATION CLAIMS. You are required to upload the a