Company Overview and Job Description Summary:
U.S. Legal Support provides court reporting and trial services nationwide and abroad. We work with a network of nearly 5,000 independent court reporting professionals and more than 85 locations around the country. We cover more than 350,000 depositions each year.
Become part of an exciting team as a valued professional in the court reporting industry. This exciting career opportunity will enable you to report on legal proceedings by capturing the record, so that a verbatim transcript can be produced. In this role you will be trained to operate, manage, and troubleshoot sophisticated recording equipment. Additionally, you will be responsible for typing simultaneous notes during the proceedings, keeping note of all speakers' identifications and keywords, as well as marking and maintaining disposition of exhibits.
- Follow instructions contained in rules, court orders, or stipulations regarding procedures for recording proceedings.
- Transport, set up, and operate electronic equipment including; audio and video recorders, laptop computer, mixers, and microphones.
- Type simultaneous notes during the proceedings and account for all exhibits.
- Be organized and capable of reprioritizing tasks as needed
- Ability to communicate effectively with management and clients
- Obtain and maintain required AAERT certification.
- Obtain and maintain a Notary in order to administer oaths.
- Other duties as assigned by management
- Associate Degree or higher in Legal Studies, Communication, Audio, Video, or a related field
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Polished and self-sufficient with a can-do attitude
- Familiarity with legal documents and terminology
- Two or more years of experience as a transcriber, typist or experience with legal administration (preferred)
- Typing speed of 60+ wpm with a high rate of accuracy
- Technical knowledge of audio & video equipment
- Knowledge of the US civil deposition processes (preferred)
- Paralegal Experience (preferred)
- Ability to sit for extended periods; bending stopping, lifting equipment up to 50 pounds
- Able to work a flexible schedule