Foreign Language Teacher-Hebrew (Assistant Professor)
U.S. Army Training and Doctrine CommandMonterey, CA
Posted: over a month ago
Foreign Language Teacher-Hebrew (Assistant Professor) =====================================================
##### Department of the Army
U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command
##### Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center (DLIFLC)
- ##### Open & closing dates
08/13/2019 to 12/11/2019
- ##### Service
- ##### Pay scale & grade
- ##### Salary
$73,573 to $124,826 per year
THE OFFERED STARTING SALARY FOR THIS POSITION IS $73,573.00 PER ANNUM
- ##### Appointment type
Temporary - Varies - Initial Appointment NTE 12 months, 1 day. May be extended based on future funding and workload levels.
- ##### Work schedule
Many vacancies in the following location:
##### Relocation expenses reimbursed
##### Telework eligible
- Duties ------
**About the Position:** Serves as Hebrew Assistant Professor for the European and Latin American Language School Division of Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center located in Monterey, CA.
Candidates must demonstrate a solid knowledge in theories, methods, and techniques in foreign language teaching, testing and curriculum development.
Learn more about this agency
- Preparation for instruction, collecting and adapting teaching materials, correcting homework, assessing student performance, and counseling students. - Teach customized maintenance and enhancement foreign language courses with the primary goal of improving learner's foreign language proficiency. - Work in concert with other faculty and staff in a multi-agency organization. - Analyze program effectiveness and student performance. - Develop new materials and adapts existing materials.
These positions are in the excepted service. Employment in the excepted service does not confer competitive status to apply to competitive service jobs in the federal civil service.
The position expiration date (not to exceed date) may be extended based on workload and funding availability and is not subject to regulatory time limits.
### Travel Required
##### Supervisory status
##### Promotion Potential
- #### Job family (Series)
1701 General Education And Training
- Requirements ------------
### Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation. - 300 word HANDWRITTEN essay in the Target Language (HEBREW) AND translation to English. - Valid U.S. work Authorization - Read, Write, Converse in Target Language - HEBREW - Read, Write, Converse in English
**Who May Apply: US Citizens and Non-US Citizens with valid U.S. Work Authorization.**
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
POSITIONS WILL BE FILLED AT ONE RANK: Assistant Professor (indicated as level 04)
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR QUALIFICATIONS: Doctoral degree or Master's degree with a major or minor in Foreign Language Education, Teaching English as a Second/Foreign Language (TESOL/TEFL), Linguistics, Language (English included), Literature, Education, Educational Psychology, Educational Technology, Translation & Interpretation, Cross-Cultural Studies, or Educational Administration. (NOTE: Attach a copy of your transcripts for verification); OR
Master's degree in any discipline and one year of directly related work; OR
Bachelor's degree in any discipline and two years of directly related work.
DIRECTLY RELATED WORK IS DEFINED AS: Formal classroom instruction of a language foreign to the students at high school level or above. Formal classroom instruction normally includes such activities as class preparation, course preparation/modification, testing, tutoring, and counseling in a structured, education environment.
If selected, applicant must pass a language proficiency test (OPI).
LANGUAGE EVALUATION: The minimum English proficiency is a Level 2 in speaking. The minimum proficiency for the language to be taught (HEBREW) is a Level 3 in speaking. If a dialect is required, the minimum proficiency is also Level 3. The proficiency levels are defined by the Interagency Language Roundtable (ILR) level descriptions and can be viewed at http://www.govtilr.org. Failure of any portion of the language tests will disqualify applicants for a period of 6 months. Applicants may re-apply after 6 months. Upon subsequent selection, retesting is allowed only once.
You must submit a 300-word HANDWRITTEN essay in HEBREW. You must also include a HANDWRITTEN English translation of the essay. The essay topic is how your background, education and training has prepared you to be a foreign language teacher. **NOTE:** Typed essays are NOT acceptable. The essay is not used to evaluate work experience, only for the purpose of evaluating the language writing proficiency.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas: - Computer Skills - Foreign Language - Oral Communication - Teaching Others - Writing
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
**FOREIGN EDUCATION:** If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
### Additional information
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration. - You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or valid authorization to work in the United States (U.S). One of the following documents are proof of valid U.S. Work Authorization: U.S. Passport, Permanent Resident Card, US Naturalization Certificate, US Birth Certificate, H1B, etc.). - One year trial/probationary period may be required. - Direct Deposit of Pay is required. - If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet. - This is a Career Program (CP)-32 position. - Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement. - Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement. - If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application. - Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest. - NOTICE OF VETERANS PREFERENCE: Department of Defense considers veterans' preference eligibility a positive factor for hiring. Applicants eligible for veterans' preference must include that information in their cover letter or resume and attached supporting documentation (e.g., DD Form 214, "Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty") to their submissions. Although the point-preference system is not used, applicants eligible to claim 10-Point preference must submit a Standard Form (SF) 15, "Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference," and supporting documents required for specific type of preference claimed. (SF 15, which lists the types of 10-Point Preference and the required supporting documents, is available from the Office of Personnel Management Website at www.opm.gov.).
### How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your r?sum? and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your r?sum? and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
**Basis for Rating:** **Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be evaluated for basic qualification requirements as described in this vacancy announcement.**
### Background checks and security clearance
##### Security clearance
##### Drug test required
##### Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
##### Trust determination process
- Required Documents ------------------
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. **If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further. This includes submission of a 300 word handwritten essay in Hebrew, and a handwritten English translation of the essay.**
**1. Your resume:**
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement. - If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy. - For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position. - For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
**2. 300-word HANDWRITTEN essay in HEBREW, to include a HANDWRITTEN English Translation (REQUIRED):** - 300-word HANDWRITTEN essay in HEBREW. You must also include a HANDWRITTEN English translation of the essay. The essay topic is how your background, education and training has prepared you to be a foreign language teacher. NOTE: Typed essays are NOT acceptable. The essay is not used to evaluate work experience, only for the purpose of evaluating the language writing proficiency.
**3. Other supporting documents:** - Cover Letter, optional - Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility. #### If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
- Benefits --------
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply ------------
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the **Required Documents** section above.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 12/11/2019 to receive consideration
- To begin, click **Apply** to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10577675). - Follow the prompts to **select your r?sum? and/or other supporting documents** to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. - After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and **click to continue with the application process.** - You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. **You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.** - It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan. - Additional information on how to complete the online application process and submit your online application may be found on the USA Staffing Applicant Resource Center.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
EY-APF-W1ECAA DEFENSE LANGUAGE INSTITUTE -DLIFLC & P DO NOT MAIL Presidio of Monterey, CA 93944 US
Learn more about this agency
### Next steps
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
- Fair & Transparent ------------------
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
### Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
### Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job. - An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace. - An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
#### Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability - Social security number request - Privacy Act - Signature and false statements - Selective Service - New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/542529900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.