About the Position: This position is located at US Army Medical Department Activity, Maternal Newborn Unit, Fort Wainwright, Alaska.
A recruitment or relocation bonus maybe authorized.
Salary negotiation is available for those candidates who are new to federal service.
Federal employees in Alaska are currently entitled to receive a 3.27% Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) in addition to the base salary. This is subject to change.
This is a Direct Hire Solicitation.
Learn more about this agency
- Assist physicians and anesthesia providers with complex procedures such as insertion of internal monitors, placement of epidural catheters, placement of invasive monitoring lines and induction of general anesthesia.
- Formulate a nursing plan of care relative to patients physiological, psychological, and sociological condition in order to provide ongoing and in-depth assessment of patient problems, strengths and limitations.
- Operate and/or monitor the performance of sophisticated equipment used in the care of compromised neonates.
- Provide specialized and comprehensive antepartum, intrapartum and postpartum nursing care to normal to high-risk obstetrics patients.
- #### Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- This position is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations. Appointment to this position will be required to sign a statement (Condition of Employment) consenting to seasonal influenza vaccinations or must provide a recognized exemption.
- This position is a Testing Designated Position (TDP) subject to applicant testing and random drug testing. Tentatively selected applicants will be required to sign DA Form 5019 requiring participation in random drug urinalysis testing.
- A pre-placement medical examination is required.
- Immunization screening is required. Hepatitis B immunization is required for all positions with direct patient contact. Applicants may be required to show proof of other immunizations depending on the type of position.
- All Health Care Providers must be able to obtain and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) Training and certification.
- Applicants must be able to fulfill credentialing requirements and obtain and maintain appropriate/relevant clinical privileges.
- This position has specific initial background investigation and periodic re-verification requirements since its duties require interaction with children and youth under the age of eighteen (18) years of age on a recurring basis.
- Position is designated as Inclement Weather Essential. The incumbent must make every attempt to report for work on time and/or remain on duty during severe weather conditions.
- This position will required moderated to heavy lifting.
- Applicants will need to acquire a current Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) certification within 6 months of being hired.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Basic Requirement for Nurse (Clinical/Obstetrics-Gynecology):
- Degree: A graduate or higher level degree, bachelor's degree, associate degree, or diploma from an accredited professional nursing educational program is required. This education must have been accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs, Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education, or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained.
- Degree from Foreign Nursing School:Official certification from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools is required for individuals who graduated from foreign nursing schools.
- Licensure: Applicants must have passed the National Council Licensure Examination and possess a current, active, full, and unrestricted license or registration as a professional nurse from a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
- Qualification Requirements: In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
- Education Substitution: Successful completion of a PhD or equivalent doctoral degree from a professional nursing educational program or related medical science field; or
- Degree and Experience: Possession of a diploma, associate's degree, bachelor's degree, or master's degree from a professional nursing educational program and at least one full year of professional nursing experience (equivalent to the GS-10 grade level). Professional Nursing Experience is defined as: One year of experience which includes providing nursing care to obstetrics-gynecology or medical patients, administering medications, and providing patient or staff education.
Please see the qualifications section for education requirements.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) - 53 position.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- This position is scheduled to transfer to the Defense Health Agency (DHA) no later than 30 Sept 2021 in accordance with the provisions of Section 702 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2017, Public Law114-328. The Act directed the DHA to take responsibility for the administration (i.e., authority, direction, and control) of military treatment facilities beginning 1 Oct 18. Employees will become DoD employees upon transfer to the DHA.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
Background checks and security clearance