Health Technician (Orthopedic)
Department of the Army
U.S. Army Medical Command
Department of Surgery, Orthopedic Services
- ##### Open & closing dates
- ##### Service
- ##### Pay scale & grade
- ##### Salary
- ##### Appointment type
- ##### Work schedule
1 vacancy in the following location:
Tripler Army Medical Center, HI 1 vacancy
About the Position: This position is with Tripler Army Medical
Center, Department of Surgery Orthopedic Services located in
Honolulu. Oahu is the third largest island in the Hawaiian chain.
Honolulu is the state capitol and the 11th largest U.S. Metropolitan
city. Waikiki, the most world renowned site in Oahu, and is the top
visitor destination of the state. The island is very diverse with
mountains, rainforests, volcanic craters, beaches and much more.
Learn more about this agency
- Prepare treatment areas, insuring that supplies and
prior to treatment.
- Assist Orthopedic Physician, Orthopedic Physician Assistant,
procedures performed in the clinic.
- Serve as the back-up medical support assistant, performing a
patient care and treatment.
- Prepare patients for examinations, minor procedures and clinical
Physician, Orthopedic Physician Assistant, and/or Podiatrist.
- Perform various clerical, record keeping, and miscellaneous
- #### Job family (Series)
- Assistants, Medical
- Medical Assistants
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness
- This position requires regular contact with children under the
- The position requires the completion of a pre-employment
ensure fitness to perform the duties of the position.
- This position is subject to a pre-employment drug screening, and
reasonable suspicion and testing due to direct involvement with
an on-duty accident.
- This position requires the incumbent to obtain and maintain a
with, the American Heart Association and American Red Cross.
- This position has a mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience
requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid
experience, including volunteer work done through National Service
programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations
(e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community;
student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying
experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly
describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education,
your transcripts will be required as part of your application.
Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which
includes 1) Monitoring patient vital signs to ensure conditions are
stable; 2) Preparing patients for medical procedures; 3) Providing
post-procedure care to patients; 4) Ensuring medical exam rooms are
sterile prior to and/or during procedures; and 5) Ensuring patient
forms are complete and accurate prior to medical procedures. This
definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at
the next lower grade/level position in the federal service
Education: Four year course of study leading to a bachelor's
degree with a major study or at least 24 semester hours in subjects
directly related to the position, such as, healthcare administration
and/or biological/physical sciences.
Combination of Education and Experience: A combination of education
and experience may be used to qualify for this position as long as
the computed percentage of the requirements is at least 100%. To
compute the percentage of the requirements, divide your total months
of experience by 12. Then divide your semester hours of education
beyond two years (total semester hours minus 60) by 60. Add the two
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in
the following areas:
- Clinical Analysis
- Health Care Facility Administration
- Pre and Post Procedural Instruction
- Safety and Quality Care
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in
foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification
requirements, you must show the education credentials have been
evaluated by a private organization that specializes in
interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has
been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S.
education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at
a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information,
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested
the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you
agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced
employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive
selection priority for this position. To receive selection
priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be
rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the
appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To
be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority
applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the
position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional
information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you
information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is NOT
the Government interest.
- Recruitment, Retention and Relocation Incentives are NOT
- Defense National Relocation Program (DNRP) not authorized.
- Further certification from this announcement may take place up
- This position may be scheduled to transfer to the Defense Health
provisions of Section 702 of the National Defense Authorization
Act for Fiscal Year 2017, Public Law 114-328. The Act directed
the DHA to take responsibility for the administration (i.e.,
authority, direction, and control) of military treatment
facilities beginning 1 Oct 18. Employees will become DoD
employees upon transfer to the DHA.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application
package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the
questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the