Purpose of job:
The Director of Children’s, Youth, and Family ministries shall create a loving, Christian education environment for children from infancy through 12th grade and their families both in Tuscola United Methodist church and in the community, nurture them as disciples, and equip them for ministry. In this way, they will equip students to lead their peers not only at TUMC but also at their schools and in their communities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Promote, participate in, supervise all areas of children, youth, and family ministry.
- Integrate the children’s, youth, and family ministries into the life of the congregation so there is cohesion and connection with the rest of the church.
- Recruit and equip Christian education and ministry personnel for all children from birth through twelfth grade for:
o Nursery care
o Sunday school
o Mid-week children’s ministries
o Vacation Bible School
o Children’s church
o Youth Group
o Kid's Night Out Program
o Other ministries that may emerge
- Promote and work with volunteer and paid staff to give oversight to all areas of children’s, youth, and family discipleship ministries.
- Supervise children’s and youth volunteers, conveying to them the philosophy, rules, and other regulations of youth and family programs. Ensure youth volunteers adhere to said rules and create an annual training plan for leaders and volunteers
- Effectively communicate the activities of the ministry with parents and youth volunteers through newsletter, web site, social media, and other venues about ministries to assure strong communication between church and home.
- Create opportunities for families to know and support one another through events beyond Sunday mornings
- Keep church personnel and business information confidential. Employee will not converse with family members or friends about church personnel or sensitive church issues.
- Lead and collaborate with the Children’s Council to discover ways to enhance children, youth, and family discipleship and reach out into the community
- Nurture personal relationships with children, youth, and families to facilitate the discipling of young people and their families
- Coordinate and/or teach parenting classes at least two times per year drawing on the expertise within the congregation for presenters and facilitators
- Maintain an understanding of current trends in children’s, youth, and family ministry and participate in educational opportunities for personal and professional growth
- Attend biweekly planning and visioning meetings with the Pastor
- Set annual goals for the youth ministry that are in line with our vision for the church.
- Spend time in the community where students gather and get involved with the local schools
- Develop, implement, and maintain a strategy for reaching and assimilating new children, youth, and families
- Develop age-specific ministry goals and provide strategies and programs to accomplish the goals
- Oversee and perform continued development of the Safe Sanctuary Policies and Procedures in compliance with The United Methodist church and adhere to all Safe Sanctuary rules and procedures.
- Assist in worship when requested by the Pastor
- Direct the purchasing and use of children’s, youth, and family curriculum
- Work as a servant and as a team play with the staff of TUMC toward the mission while supporting the core values of our church
- Strong Christian faith with a genuine love for children and youth and a dynamic and enthusiastic attitude about being with children and youth
- Demonstrated understanding of United Methodist beliefs, doctrines, traditions, and social principles of the church, exemplifying Christian character through a life of prayer, spiritual discipline, and leadership in the life of the church
- Maintain high standards of honesty and integrity
- Skills and abilities in developing and leading opportunities for spiritual growth
- Experience in teaching or Christian education
- Strong management skills (planning, organizing, staffing, leading or directing)
- Flexibility to meet a variety of changing events and schedules
- Demonstrated awareness of modern culture, social trends, and how they relate to a child’s and youth’s faith journey
- Proven ability to work with various types of people and collaborate with all levels of staff members
- Seek to grow and mature as a vital follower of Jesus and as a Christian leader
- Associates or college degree or better in child care, education, religion, youth ministry, or similar related field preferred
- CPR/AED certification or willingness to obtain
- Work experience (volunteer or paid) with children/youth
- Participation in continuing education opportunities is expected in consultation with the Pastor
- Valid Driver’s License
This is a great position for someone who has recently or will recently graduate from college. While this is a full-time position, we offer flexible hours that allow the right candidate to continue to work towards their degree, a Master’s, or work part-time in the school system or other venue. The salary is $28,000 with some housing assistance offered. If you feel that God is calling you to be a part of the TUMC family, please send a resume and a cover letter that tells us why you feel drawn to work in ministry with children, youth, and families. God Bless.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $28,000.00 /year
- paid or volunteer children/youth: 1 year (Preferred)
Tuscola United Methodist Church