Perform tasks involving physical labor at building construction projects. Work may be performed both indoors and outside. May clean and prepare construction sites, dig trenches, set braces to support the sides of excavations, erect scaffolding, and clean up rubble and debris. May operate hand and power tools of all types. May assist other craft workers in their trades.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Pick up, collect, sort, and dispose of (or recycle) jobsite construction debris.
- Perform general construction cleaning activities including sweeping, mopping, or vacuuming floors, wiping down horizontal and vertical surfaces, and moving and organizing jobsite construction materials, tools, and equipment.
- Mop, brush, or spread paints, cleaning solutions or other compounds over surfaces to clean them or to provide protection.
- Operate jackhammers and drills to break up concrete or pavement.
- Place, consolidate, and protect case-in-place concrete or masonry structures.
- Position, join, align, and seal structural components, such as concrete wall sections and pipes.
- Shovel cement and other materials into portable cement mixers; and mix, pour, and spread concrete.
- Signal equipment operators to facilitate alignment, movement, and adjustment of machinery, equipment, and materials.
- Smooth and finish freshly poured cement or concrete, using floats, trowels, screeds, or powered cement finishing tools.
- Spray materials through hoses to clean, coat, or seal surfaces.
- Tend machines that pump materials through spray-guns for application to ceilings and walls.
- Tend pumps, compressors, and generators to provide power for tools, machinery, and equipment.
- Lubricate, clean and repair machinery, equipment, and tools.
- Apply caulking compounds by hand or using caulking guns.
- Build and position forms for pouring concrete, and dismantle forms after use, using saws, hammers, nails, or bolts.
- Clean and prepare construction sites to eliminate possible hazards.
- Dig ditches or trenches, backfill excavations, and compact and level earth to grade specifications, using picks, shovels, pneumatic tampers, and rakes.
- Erect and disassemble scaffolding, shoring, braces, traffic barricades, ramps, and other temporary structures.
- Load, unload, and identify building materials, machinery, and tools, and distribute them to the appropriate locations, according to project plans and specifications.
- Mix ingredients to create compounds for covering or cleaning surfaces.
- Provide assistance to craft workers, such as carpenters and concrete finishers.
- Demolish structures and salvage useful materials.
May perform other duties as necessary or required.