- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Truth Design Build (truthdesignbuild.com) is looking to hire a Lead Carpenter.
This is a W-2 hourly position. We firmly believe in the idea of having the right people to do the right things, and so we are seeking someone whose values align with our own-- who takes pride in their craftsmanship, believes both in teaching and learning, and doesn't see this as just a paycheck, but a joint collaborative venture, and will contribute to making Truth a better company.
At Truth, we strive to provide a unique customer experience rooted in an unwavering commitment to transparency, creativity, and attention to detail; we focus on building lasting relationships with everyone that we work with, whether a client or trade partner, and we do our part to minimize our ecological footprint, and promote justice and equity in our community.
What You Bring
- Legally authorized to work in the U.S.
- Minimum of 5-10 years carpentry experience
- Valid driver's license and reliable transportation that can carry your own tools and materials (there is the possibility of using a Truth work truck in the future)
- Ability to lead and perform demo, site protection, framing, windows, siding, and trim carpentry
- Basic math and geometry skills
- Must be able to organize trade partners and communicate with home owners in a professional manner
- Experience assisting Project Managers in keeping jobs on track and on time (we use BuilderTrend project management software)
- Strong work ethic, prioritization and time management skills. MUST be self-regulated and know how to take initiative to get things done on time and to a high standard of excellence
What You Will Do
- Attend hand-off meeting to gain an in depth understanding of each job
- Assist Project Manager in architectural layout discussions and plan implementation on site
- Provide assignments, direction and support to other carpenters, apprentices, and various trade partners
- Thoroughly document work and notes daily in BuilderTrend
- Upload daily progress pics into Builder Trend
- Attend weekly meetings with PM and client
- Perform demolition, framing, siding, window installation, and trim work (will vary per job)
- Provide daily mentorship and training to assistant carpenters/apprentices
What You Have Mastered
You are confident executing all of the following without supervision, with little if any support and few to no mistakes. You will also be able to officially supervise rising carpenters, confidently teaching these skills to others and provide them with support in order for them to successfully expand their own skills. In conjunction with a Project Manager, you’ll be responsible for keeping jobs on track, coordinating subs and employees, and conducting quality assurance checks. You’ll be able to communicate with clients, architects, apprentices, designers, and engineers with a high degree of expertise and professionalism. Demonstrating the following skills will help you get there;
Hand tool operation including
tape measure, tool bag/belt, hammer, drywall knife, cat’s paw, flat bar, chalk line, multitool, impact, ½” chuck drill, speed square, circular saw, level, pneumatic nailers, chop saw, table saw, & sanders, and basic protective equipment (ears, eyes, knees, toes)
In depth understanding of safety protocols, OSHA 10 Certification at minimum
Problem Solving: Consistently demonstrate creative thinking by finding creative solutions to real life conditions.
Focus on professional development. Actively pursue new knowledge to build your craft.
Consistently demonstrate flexibility in thinking. Learn multiple methods to do the same thing. This will allow flexibility on site to adapt quickly and easily.
Consistently and accurately recognize different methods of construction through various historical periods. Before starting anything, get an understanding of the time period the house was built, the materials and techniques used to build it, and the appropriate methods for working with those existing conditions. For example, floor joist construction, framing techniques and materials, various ways foundations are constructed & dimensional lumber vs engineered lumber. Recognize that every house is different, and there are specific ways to approach these various conditions.
Have perfected a workflow that cuts down the steps it takes to do every task. Be mindful of efficiency to support development of muscle memory and minimize wasted time and resources
As a Lead and in conjunction with the Director of Field Ops, you will teach the following skills in an “I do- we do- you do” format. You may need support in planning teaching opportunities and effectively executing.
Install windows and doors, including proper flashing techniques, AAMA & AAMA Guidelines (Methods A & B).
- Framing (structural, floors, walls, roofs)
- Decks and roof covers
- Kitchen/Bath cabs
Custom finish carpentry
Bookshelves, benches, floating shelves, closet systems, mantles, accent walls, wainscott, crown molding, Interior trim
- Safety protocols, know what is safe to do and what is not
- Locate and turn water and electricity on and off
- hook up appliances like dishwashers or sinks
- replace like for like switches/outlets
- install (but not wire) ceiling and exhaust fans
- paint touch up
- drywall spackle
Learn/develop methods for materials handling/inventory control, create a system to make it easy for everyone to find what they need with minimal rework (looking through piles of boxes over and over)
Learn how to read site plans, blueprints and design documents
What We Bring
- Health insurance (Kaiser) after 30 days
- Paid holidays
- 2 weeks paid vacation per year (increasing to 3 weeks after 2 years of strong performance.
- 1 additional week of PTO at Christmas
- Profit sharing at the end of the year (based on performance)
- $1000 annual stipend for tools
- Job performance bonuses
- Professional development opportunities
Truth Design Build
Get fresh Design Build Construction jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.