Job Description Summary The 6S NeuroScience unit is a Step Down ICU. Patient Population is Total Care (Stroke, Brain/Spine Surgical, Seizure/Altered Mental Status (Non Psych) and Medical overflow. This unit is located in our beautiful state-of-the-art South Patient Care Tower and the unit is integrated with our Intelligent Patient Care system, a network of life saving technologies. There are 8 camera rooms outfitted with in room cameras for our patients at greatest risk for falls. Real Time Live system is utilized to monitor proper hand hygiene as well as indicating when a care team member is in the room through a display system in the hall. Throughout the unit the presence of the Healing Arts program is visible through murals and other mediums of original works all created by Michigan artists.
The registered nurse is a collaborative member/leader of the care team and is accountable for practicing both the art and science of nursing, delivering care as prescribed by the American Nurses Association (ANA) Standards of Practice and Professional Performance. In addition, registered nurses are accountable to practice in accordance with the standards established/endorsed by St Joseph Mercy Oakland (SJMO) leadership and by external regulators and accreditation agencies. The registered nurse actively promotes SJMO nursing and the nursing profession, and supports advancing practice in fulfillment of the SJMO Quality Plan for Nursing. Registered nurses at SJMO have authority, responsibility and accountability for nursing practice through the formal nursing shared governance structure, and are expected to abide by the ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing is preferred.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
- Active license to practice nursing in the State of Michigan.
- Certification by a nationally recognized nursing organization is preferred.
- Membership in a professional nursing organization is preferred.
- BCLS for all inpatient bedside care areas, and inpatient and outpatient surgical services required within 45 days from date of hire or transfer.
- ACLS for specified care areas as follows: AICU, CCU, PACU, cath lab, ambulatory surgery, emergency department, radiology/special procedures, and endoscopy required within 6 months from date of hire or transfer.
- ENPC and TNCC for specified care areas as follows: emergency department, clinical decision unit and critical care NRP required within 12 months from date of hire or transfer.
- NRP for specified care areas as follows: labor and delivery, neonatal intensive care required within 12 months from date of hire or transfer.
- Electronic Fetal Monitoring Certification (EFM-c) is required for specified areas as follows: Labor and Delivery, Antenatal, and Maternal-Fetal Medicine, required within the first 12 months from date of hire or transfer.
- NIH Stroke Scale for specified care areas such as follows: AICU, CCU, emergency department, critical care NRP, and neuroscience required within 6 months of date of hire or transfer.
- FIM credentialing for specified care areas such as follows: inpatient rehabilitation required within 6 months of hire or transfer.
- Two years of experience in a health care related field preferred.
- Continuously seeks opportunities to improve the quality of patient care delivery through innovative and creative resolution finding, becoming expert at point of care resolution through use of critical thinking.
- Demonstrates responsiveness to needs of patients, other care team members, and self.
- Ability to serve as a teacher, mentor, and coach to patients, students, new nurses, peers, other colleagues, and staff, to advance the profession of nursing and optimize patient outcomes.
- Ability to organize and prioritize, in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to use and effectively integrate positive communication approaches to meet diverse patient needs, optimize resources, and adapt care processes to accommodate changing patient acuity and unit needs.
- Ability to use critical thinking, logic and reasoning to address complex situations.
- Excellent interpersonal service skills necessary in order to form and maintain positive relationships with customers and other healthcare professionals.
- Ability to use and effectively integrate positive communication approaches to meet diverse patient needs, optimize resources, and adapt care processes to accommodate changes in the healthcare environment.
- Excellent customer service orientation skills necessary in order to deal effectively with various levels of hospital personnel, outside customers and community groups.
- Provides patient care that reflects respect for patients' rights, dignity, values, culture preferences, and expressed needs and attention to providing comfort, relieving pain, and alleviating anxiety.
- Demonstrates principles of Relationship-based Care to cultivate and maintain therapeutic relationships as a means to optimal healing and collegial functioning as interdisciplinary care team members.
- Utilizes research and evidence-based practice in the delivery of care, to advance nursing practice, and to improve nurse and patient satisfaction, and quality of care.
- Implements care in accordance with the multi-disciplinary plan of care collaborating with and delegating appropriately to other care team members as needed.
- Uses and effectively integrates technology to support nursing care and practice.
- Uses data and evidence to drive decisions at point of care that improve and optimize care delivery, clinical outcomes, and patient and nurse satisfaction.
- Actively engages and participates in resource planning to advance nursing practice, quality of care, and nurse and patient satisfaction, through staffing, acuity response, supply management and budget planning.
- Actively engages and participates in unit-based and other committees and initiatives that promote patient and workplace safety, optimal clinical outcomes, and satisfaction.
- Supports and participates in nursing shared governance and interdisciplinary decision-making.
- Seeks and incorporates feedback concerning improvement in one's own practice, through participation in peer review nursing case review, and self-appraisal.
- Contributes to the positive image of nursing and enhances the SJMO culture of excellence by modeling professional behavior both in the organization and in the community.
- Embraces change and lifelong learning, taking personal accountability to seek out experiences that promote personal and professional growth in order to advance skills and competence.
- Embraces change and lifelong learning, taking personal accountability to seek out experiences that reflect current practice in order to maintain skills and competence in clinical practice and role performance.
- Integrates principles of the Personal.Connected.Journey and demonstrates Trinity Health Guiding Behaviors to provide excellent care of self, patients, and care team members.
- Utilizes process excellence tools and processes to improve the quality of patient care delivery.
- Utilizes technology to support nursing care and practice.
- Utilizes data and evidence to guide best practice and continuous improvement.
- Demonstrates and actively promotes an understanding and commitment to the mission of St. Joseph Mercy Oakland through performing behaviors consistent with the Trinity Health Values.
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations, the Trinity Health Organizational Integrity Program, including the Standards of Conduct, Code of Ethics, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behaviors.
- Supports and conducts one's self in a manner consistent with customer service expectations.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Job Number: 00165561
Location: Pontiac, MI
Organization Name: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Facility: SJSEMI - On Camp Hosp-Tax
Employment Type: Full time