Functions primarily as a member of the surgical team, and performs specific duties in an operating room or other areas of asepsis under the direction and continuous supervision of qualified professional nurses and surgeons. The responsibilities include skillful performance of selected duties before, during and after an operation as a scrub or circulating assistant, in conformance with institutional Mission and Philosophy and AORN Standards.
Supports the patient care unit and Department of Nursing in its efforts at providing high quality, cost-effective patient care.
- Performs all aspects of the position in accordance with the related departmental policy and procedures, standards, and guidelines.
- Demonstrates ability to organize work and manage time effectively by completing assignments in the allotted time.
- Verifies correct patient by checking name (first and last) and identification number on patient's wristband prior to initiating a treatment/procedure.
- Promotes good working relationships and good communication among staff and between departments and disciplines.
- Assists with staffing needs by willingly accepting reassignment to other patient care areas.
- Consistently demonstrates flexibility required for efficient department operations.
- Attends unit meetings and assigned in-services as evidenced by attendance sheet and individual educational file.
- Assists with development and implementation of unit goals.
- Participates in unit and department Continuous Quality Improvement activities.
- Adheres to line of authority by reporting/communicating directly to the immediate supervisor.
- Performs other related activities and functions as assigned.
- Assists surgeon as a scrub nurse using aseptic technique.
- Consistently wears scrubs, gowns, and gloves according to accepted standards of AORN and the institution following Universal Precautions at all times.
- Efficiently secures, prepares, and arranges the Operating Room equipment, instruments, and supplies which are required for various types of surgical procedures, aware of the individual surgeon's performances.
- Sets up sterile instruments, mayo stand and stable according to routine for a given surgical procedure.
- Anticipates the surgeon's need for instruments, supplies, equipment and passes such items needed to
- facilitate the surgical procedures or emergency requirements in such a way that the surgeon need not divert his attention from the operative field.
- Labels all medications and liquids in the surgical field.
- Must wear protective eyewear while scrubbing in on all surgical procedures.
- Under the direct supervision of the registered nurse, assists the circulating nurse with peri-operative patient care.
- Conscientiously follows the policy and procedure regarding patient identification.
- Transports or assists with transporting patients to and from the operating room area, using correct body mechanics and is respectful of each patient's privacy and dignity.
- Keeps supervisor/charge nurse notified of progression, changes and happenings in room in an on-going manner.
- Observes and reports to appropriate person apparent break in sterile technique in a timely manner.
- Assists in perioperative care of the surgical patient by gently shaving the operative area as ordered by the physician.
- Properly cares for and processes instruments, equipment, and supplies.
- Terminally cleans, restocks, and reassembles operating rooms as assigned, according to standard Policy and Procedures.
- Possesses knowledge of and operates unit sterilizers for the sterilization of instruments and processes items according to prescribed requirements.
- Documents consistently according to policy and procedure.
- Responds to patient/family requests and questions in a friendly, cooperative manner.
- Communicates appropriately and respectfully with members of the health care team.
- Approaches interpersonal relationships in a manner which avoids antagonism, reduces conflict, and prevents undue anxiety.
- Performs all responsibilities in a professional manner while providing quality patient care, in accordance with established policies/procedures and AORN Standards.
- Supports the Philosophy and Mission of the Mercy Catholic Medical Center and the Department of Nursing and the Operating Room.
- Demonstrates a positive and pleasant attitude with superiors and co-workers, and works cooperatively with all associates of the operating room (surgeons, residents, interns and the Anesthesia Department).
- Follows appropriate lines of authority.
- Presents in a professional appearance, in compliance with the established dress code.
- Displays punctuality as defined in Human Resources and Nursing Policies. Does not abuse or take advantage of sick time or personal days absent.
- Recognizes and performs duties which need to be performed, although not directly assigned by authorized personnel.
- Sets goals with his/her supervisor and strives toward their achievement.
- Attends in-service education programs to learn new treatments, procedures, developmental skills, etc., assuring persona responsibility for self-growth.
- Shows flexibility and willingness to adjust work hours to meet unit needs.
Adheres to applicable Federal, State, and local laws and regulations, Trinity Health's Integrity and Compliance Program and Code of Conduct, as well as other policies and procedures.
Job Number: 00141967
Location: Darby, PA
Organization Name: Mercy Health System of Southeastern Pennsylvania
Facility: MSEPA - Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital
Employment Type: Full time
Shift: Day Shift