- Provides clinical support to physicians as it relates to patient care.
- Maintains examination rooms by ensuring they are clean, well-stocked, and up to date.
- Assists the providers in treating patient symptoms, and provides routine information to patients regarding their condition, diagnostic results (non-abnormal), and medications.
- Completes related paperwork.
- Prepares patients for physician by taking vital signs (blood pressure and weight, and temperature when symptoms warrant), obtaining chief complaints and relevant history.
- Locates and enters missing information in chart at physician request.
- Ensures that patients are in rooms and ready to be seen by physicians on schedule.
- Communicates results of patient preparation to physician (i.e., information requested but not shared by patient, etc.).
- Assists physicians in exams and procedures as requested.
- Performs tests and procedures, including, but not limited to, urinalysis, suture removals, injections, etc..
- Perform routine Lab procedures.
- Arranges patient transportation to the hospital, ensuring physician H&P, surgery forms and progress notes accompany patient.
- Assists patients with answers to questions or other requests.
- Assists in scheduling tests, return visits, and filling out requisition forms as necessary (patients may schedule own tests whenever possible).
- Ensures exam rooms, procedure rooms, lab area, med room, specialty trays and equipment are in clean condition, stocked and in good working order.
- At physician request, make routine (non-abnormal) information calls to patients regarding their condition, diagnostic test results, and medication.
- Triages incoming calls based on patient symptoms, and contacts physicians with time-sensitive or urgent information.
- Calls other departments for patient information as needed or requested.
- Documents phone contacts, medications and other relevant information in patient electronic medical record.
- Completes HMO and physician clinics referrals at physician request.
- High school graduation or equivalent
- Certification or certification-eligible in a discipline that certifies graduates; eg. MA, RT, EMT, etc.
- Medical Setting experience 0-2 years if graduate of program or 4-5 years of experiential employment as a medical assistant if not a graduate of a program.
Job Number: 00175317
Location: Livonia, MI
Organization Name: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Facility: SJSEMI - St. Mary Hosp Livonia
Employment Type: Part time
Shift: Day Shift