The Certified Medical Assistant/Licensed Practical Nurse assists the ambulatory care physician or other professional healthcare providers with the administration of direct and indirect patient care. Performs basic medical assisting procedures necessary to provide for care, comfort and safety of patients.
- Compensation Range: Competitive wages in consonance with position/years of experience
- Locations: Positions are available in Family Practice, Specialty, and Acute Care settings.
- Employment Type: Full-Time, Part-Time, and PRN opportunities available.
- Knows and adheres to all laws and regulations pertaining to patient health, safety and medical information.
- Accurately assesses patient symptoms, reactions, and physical condition and records data in the medical record. Documents vital signs and any other measures indicated by the condition or diagnosis of the patient per office protocol.
- Evaluates acute patient telephone calls and adds to daily schedule as appropriate. Provides counseling and/or direction to patient based on physician/healthcare provider preference or after consultation with provider.
- Performs office laboratory procedures, which may include assisting with collection, testing, handling, transporting, and documenting of specimens.
- Properly sets up exam room and prepares patients for examinations and procedures. Assists with procedures and examinations per physician/healthcare provider preference, i.e. gynecological exams, minor surgeries, electrocautery, biopsies, sigmoidoscopies, casting, sterile technique procedures, and specimen preparation.
- Demonstrates the ability to perform responsibly in emergency situations based on the assessed needs of the patient.
- Identifies a wide range of patient problems by having demonstrated age-specific competencies, and communicates patient needs to appropriate physician/healthcare provider and provide follow-up when indicated.
- Documents assessments, telephone calls, medication renewals, etc. in the medical record per established guidelines. Maintains the medical record by filing/scanning test results, charting lab results, and other filing as indicated.
- Performs selective clinical procedures as approved by policy and maintains appropriate knowledge and skill level. Examples: medication preparation and administration, dressing applications, suture removals, first aid, vision screening, audiometry, non-stress test, EKG, irrigations, etc.
- Schedules tests, admissions, etc. for patients with area hospitals and facilities as ordered by the physician/healthcare provider. In doing so, maintains a good rapport and cooperative working relationship with all members of the office, other provider offices, hospital services, and community agencies.
- Provides a clean, safe environment for patients and associates. Assists in the care, preparation and maintenance of supplies adhering to the stewardship principals of the organization.
- Maintains knowledge and skills of front office operations. Assists as necessary with
- Knowledgeable of third party payor policies and procedures, documentation requirements, and patient instruction procedures.
- Maintains scheduled office visits.
- Maintains technological competencies, organization, and neatness in the work area. Completes all mandatory in-services in required timeframe. Regularly assists co-workers as needed. Utilizes resources in a manner that reflects an understanding of proper stewardship.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Education: High school graduate or equivalent and/or graduate of: (1) a one-year medical assistant program (2) an accredited two-year medical assisting program OR an accredited school of practical nursing with licensure in the State of Indiana. Previous experience/training in general medical office skills and procedures. Proficient/knowledgeable in medical terminology.
- Licensure: Certification and/or registration as a medical assistant or licensed practical nurse must be active at the time of hire, or in some situations be attained within 90 days of hire.
- CPR certification required.
- Experience: One to three years' experience in a medical or physician office preferred. Basic business office, clinical skills, and computer skills preferred
- Must be tactful in handling patient problems often of a highly personal and confidential nature; Must be able to maintain self-composure during frustrating interpersonal situations.
- Sustained mental attention required. Moderate to high levels of stress should be anticipated on a daily basis.
- Must be able to respond and react to emergency and changing situations calmly, professionally, and in an expedient manner.
- May need to occasionally travel to other SJPN locations within the three county area
- Assigned hours within shift, starting time, or days of work are subject to change based on departmental and/or organizational needs.
Job Number: 00176446
Location: Mishawaka, IN
Organization Name: Saint Joseph Health System
Facility: SJHS - Mishawaka Medical Center
Employment Type: Full time