Mercy Medical Center in Springfield, MA is seeking a Nurse Practitioner (NP) or certified Physician Assistant (PA-C) for our developing Perioperative Medicine Clinic. This clinician works collaboratively with the physician, Director of Perioperative Medicine/Woodland Anesthesia Associates, pre-op nursing staff, and community surgeons, to perform history, physical examination, and careful chart review of complex, acutely and chronically ill patients having a planned outpatient or inpatient surgical procedure. This medical assessment will include evaluation of the pre-existing medical record, collation and/or ordering of needed lab studies and other tests, and a final assessment of the medical state and overall fitness for the planned procedure to be relayed to the anesthesia team and the primary surgeon.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
1. Participates in the preparation of patients for surgery by coordinating care, testing, education, and support for adult surgical patients during a patient appointment or through a telephone assessment. Such duties may include but are not limited to:
a. Assessing and documenting the patient's medical history.
b. Integrating clinical findings of the history and physical with accurate clinical knowledge to adequately screen the patient for the procedure and anesthesia modalities.
c. Coordinating care, testing, education, and support.
d. Working with PAE RNs to identify and personally consult on patients at higher risk of adverse events from the planned operation or anesthetic, based on preliminary nurse phone screening
2. Orders diagnostic tests pertinent to the clinical situation and standard Pre-Anesthesia Evaluation guidelines:
a. Interprets the results of tests, as a component of the perioperative evaluation including but not limited to: discovery or identification of a disorder or disease which may affect anesthetic safety.
b. Verifies an already known disease, disorder, or medical condition or alternative therapy which may affect anesthetic care.
c. Communicates medical assessment with the attending surgeon and anesthesia provider.
3. Coordination of care:
a. Consults with other healthcare providers i.e. PCP, Cardiology, and/or Pulmonology.
b. Consults with the anesthesia provider and the surgeon concerning recommendations for rescheduling or cancelling the surgical procedure.
c. Communicates with referring or primary care provider regarding patient care and treatment.
4. Prescribes appropriate pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic modalities to accomplish the plan of treatment.
5. Provides patient education to patients and their families about the planned procedure, the experience of both inpatient or home-based convalescence and recovery, and provides counseling on clinical protocols such as Enhanced Recovery paradigms and narcotic-sparing multimodal analgesia.
6. Participates in and attends weekly and monthly educational programs and applicable committees provided by the Medical Center.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Graduate of an Accredited Nurse Practitioner School, ARC-PA, or predecessor accredited program required; Master's Degree preferred.
2. Nurse Practitioner: Duly licensed to practice as an NP in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts with a valid current DEA registration and MA Controlled Substance Registration certificate required. Certification through the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) or the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Certification Board (AANP) required.
3. Physician Assistant: Licensed to practice as a Certified Physician Assistant in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Valid current DEA registration and Massachusetts controlled substance registration required. Current Certification by NCCPA (National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants) required.
4. At least one (1) year, and preferably three (3), of internal medicine experience required. Preference will be given to candidates with a history of experience in a perioperative medicine/ PAE/ PAT/OR setting.
5. Candidate is required to have previous experience in medical and perioperative risk stratification and the ability to develop evidence-based strategies to optimize patients' condition and minimize the risk of adverse periop events.
6. BLS Certification required.
7. Proven record of collaborative and multidisciplinary patient care. Possesses leadership skills and the ability to work alongside a diverse team focused on creating and improving protocols that improve the delivery of surgical care at MMC. Possesses experience in quality and process improvement.
8. Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel and Power Point
1. Regular and routine exposure to occupational hazards or contagious diseases which require Universal Precautions.
1. Reports directly to the physician Director of Perioperative Medicine; works in collaboration with the Chiefs of Anesthesia and Surgery and the Director of Perioperative Services.
2. Has no responsibility for leading or supervising the work of other colleagues.
*Job Number:* 00128833
*Location:* Springfield, MA
*Organization Name:* Mercy Medical Center
*Facility:* SPMA - Mercy Medical Center
*Employment Type:* Full time
*Shift:* Day Shift