he Field Service Technician (Millwright) / Welder is responsible for providing hands-on field repairs, welding, and technical support for Company customers and/or third-party contractors in existing and/or newly acquired retrofit/rebuild/replacement equipment. Project the image of Company as the service-oriented company to depend on for competent field service support on mining equipment for maintenance, repairs, upgrades, and operation. The Field Service Technician/Welder position requires strong experience as a Field Service Technician (Millwright) / welder with a background in mechanical and maintenance work as well as in depth knowledge of mining equipment.
Prior to arrival at field assignment location, study, plan, and prepare for field work based on the detailed scope of work, drawings, specifications, Company, and customer policies/procedures/rules/regulations/safety, specific instructions, etc.
- Provide technical and hands-on service during demolition and installation, checkout, start-up, and commissioning to ensure safety and proper equipment and system erection is in accordance with contract designs and drawing requirements.
- Perform various millwright tasks such as, but not limited to, installation and alignment of new ring & pinion gears, mill components or complete mill change-outs.
- Repair various types of process equipment such as crushers, conveyers, pumps, screens, mills, etc.
- Perform critical gear alignments, laser shaft alignments, precision surveying with Brunson Scope as well as dial indicator method of shaft alignments.
- Read Micrometers, Calipers, Machinist Levels, Pi Tapes as well as other precision measuring equipment.
- Troubleshoot fit/form problems and advise/assist on corrective action and repairs.
- Sets up and operates all common welding equipment including SMAW (Stick), GMAW (Mig) in a mining/heavy industrial setting.
- Efficiently cuts and excavates cracks with Air Carbon-Arc as well as cutting with Oxyfuel, Plasma and track burners.
- Checks, adjusts and regulates current and time cycle for varying conditions of materials to obtain proper welds.
- Removes rough spots from work piece, suing portable grinder, hand file, or scraper.
- Keep the project manager and Field Service Manager up to date on site progress, problems, delays, etc.
- Keep accurate records regarding job progress, delays, problems, deliveries, changes, extras, and engineering and fabrication errors.
- Submit internal daily construction reports covering activity at the jobsite.
- Document all job delays and their cause and ensure client comprehends and signs the documentation.
- Communications with the client to ensure satisfaction with job progress and quality.
- Insure client issues proper documentation for extra work and changes.
- Ensure client signs time verification sheets for Company personnel prior to leaving site.
- Timely submission of accurate expense reports according to Company’s travel policies and procedures.
- Work in liaison with the various technical support departments within the Company organization.
- Visit customers with the sales force to develop and grow service business opportunities.
- Perform work using safe and proper methods and procedures to maintain and repair Company equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Field Service Supervisors or Field Service GM.
- Overtime work often required (evenings, weekends, holidays).
5 years of welding experience in mining or heavy construction industries
- 3 years of field welding experience preferred, ideally on grinding mills, crushers, as well as other process machinery.
- Certified welder preferred
- Technical Degree or High school graduate with mechanical maintenance/millwright/welding experience preferred
- Previous MSHA training a plus
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Ability to pass DOT physical requirements
- Valid passport
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of process equipment such as crushers, conveyers, pumps, screens, mills, etc.
- Ability to complete assigned tasks with minimal supervision.
- Must have a talent for working with other people effectively; fellow employees, customers, contractors.
- Capability of making quick, accurate decisions relative to problem solution and problem liability.
- Must be well organized and able to maintain accurate records and communicate reliable information through detailed technical reports.
- Mechanical knowledge and abilities a must.
- Capability to understand the various product applications marketed by Company.
- Ability to read and interpret imperial and metric tape measurers, and, engineering and architectural drawings. Ability to use and interpret dial indicators, calipers, micrometers is a plus.
- Work directly with Safety, Supervisors and co-workers to conduct the work safely
- Ability to travel frequently (60%) with extended durations (1 week to 3 weeks).
- Good attendance record and willingness to work rotating shifts, or long hours (including evenings, weekends and holidays).
- Ability to stay in remote locations for extended periods and have the stamina to work long hours during emergency breakdowns and peak periods.
- Ability to use all extremities to efficiently operate manual tools, power tools, office and computer equipment.
- Ability to work in a variety of environments which may include exposure to extreme heat, humidity, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, loud noise, and all-weather conditions.
- Climbing of, and working on, stairs, ladders, and scaffolding, occasionally at extreme heights (while using heavy tooling such as 60 lb jackhammer, a 1" impact tool used overhead which weights around 25 lbs), is required.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus and ability to read engineering drawings, meters, and documentation.
- Ability to hear audible warning horns.
- Must be able to effectively communicate verbally.
- Capable of performing basic welding skills using electrode and wire feed process.
- Capable of performing basic torch cutting skills using oxygen and acetylene, air arc.
- May operate mobile equipment.
- Ability to identify proper welding P.P.E. for job at hand
- Must understand basic rigging
- Ability to pass welding certification tests a must.
- Friendly, respectful environment
- Challenging opportunities that contribute to the development and enhancement of Company’s industry leading solutions
- Opportunity to work in a global community
- Pride in working for an industry leader in mining, aggregates, recycling and oil and gas.
- Competitive healthcare options, 401K matching, flexible work schedules, tuition reimbursement, and much more!
At Company, our values - driving customer success, seeking innovation, performing together and respecting each other - guide us in how we conduct business and how we work together. As a multi-national company, our client values and thrives on diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability please let us know.