Assistant Controller/Accounting Manager
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Reporting to the Controller, this position is responsible for managing accounting activities related to accurate financial reporting, ensuring compliance with general accepting accounting principles, corporate policies, external audits, and the annual IRS and Virginia tax filings. This position will be responsible for leading the month end close, developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices, and procedures to analyze financial information, preparing accurate and timely financial reports and statements, ensuring appropriate accounting control procedures, and supervising accounting staff.
This position manages tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including maintaining the general ledger structure, financial reporting, year-end audit preparation, budget and forecast activities and working closely with the Controller to manage the organization’s finance and accounting functions. This individual possesses leadership abilities and will have direct interactions with the Executive Leadership, Senior Management Team and Departmental Staff which requires strong interpersonal communications skills both written and verbal.
This position offers a hybrid work environment. The position is based in Arlington, VA is eligible for immediate telework up to 3x/week. All employees must be fully vaccinated as a condition for employment.
- Manage Month & Year End Close
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure
- Lead, coordinate & confirm an accurate and timely (meeting deadlines) monthly and year-end close.
- Perform reconciliation and analysis of all balance sheet accounts
- Prepare, analyze, and calculate overhead allocations
- Prepare and analysis of year-end accruals and transactions
- Perform all necessary research and analysis to ensure accurate balances in each general ledger account
- Financial Reporting
- Analyze, interpret, and have a clear understanding of the financial data
- Prepare timely reporting of monthly and year-end financial statements including Balance Sheet, Profit and Loss and Cash Flow Statements
- Complete monthly update of budget to actual reports
- Ensure compliance with internal control policies and SOX environment
- Plan, coordinate, and direct meetings to review budget to actuals with VPs and budget managers
- Banking Administration
- Manage all banking functions – lockbox management, bank signatures and other banking products
- Setup, maintain and oversee all credit card gateway and merchant account functions and products
- Manage bank and short-term investment accounts
- Initiate all bank transfers, wires, ACH transactions
- Ensure the accurate and timely processing of positive pay transactions
- Annual Budget Process
- Prepare budget software system and materials for staff
- Assist Finance Director in developing a budget for Finance Department
- Review preliminary budgets & budget notes entered in budget software
- Schedule, facilitate and lead finance budget meetings with VPs and budget managers
- Schedule, participate and attend budget meetings with CEO and VP Finance & Administration.
- Ensure all budget updates from budget meetings with CEO are made in the budget software
- Create and inactive accounts as needed per approved annual budgets
- Annual Audit
- Plan, coordinate, manage and lead the annual consolidated & ROI audit process, ensuring all requested materials are completed on time for the auditors and questions are answered.
- Work closely with the Finance Director on year-end close activities ensuring an unqualified audit
- Complete consolidated and ROI financial and functional allocation statements
- Review and analysis of audited financials for accuracy prior to distribution to the Finance/Audit Committee for review and approval.
- Annual 990, 990T and VA 500 Tax Filing
- Plan, manage, coordinate, and execute the annual tax filings of 990, 990T and VA 500 with the auditors ensuring all materials are accurate and completed on time.
- Review and analysis of 990, 990T and VA500 IRS forms and filed by the IRS deadline
- Manage investment account setup and maintenance
- Review monthly statements and record activity for all investments including realized and unrealized gain/(loss) for all investments
- Other Duties
- Review and upload positive pay file for weekly check/ACH payments
- Participate on Finance/Audit Committee meetings and review meeting minutes
- Review quarterly lobbying report
- Prepare annual CME Report
- Assist in the development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department
- Special Projects as required
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration required
· 8 years of relevant experience.
· CPA preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1. Must have strong knowledge of non-profit accounting and GAAP
2. In-depth knowledge of spreadsheet applications.
3. Strong knowledge and experience using accounting and budget systems, Microsoft Business Central experience preferred.
4. Detail oriented, self-motivated with strong leadership skills and the ability to work independently taking ownership of all work and actions.
5. Expense with Association Management Software a plus
6. Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to relate well to different people from varied backgrounds and different situations, e.g., internal staff, volunteers, physicians, and other external entities.
7. Strong analytical skills and ability to analyze account transactions and perform detailed account reconciliations along with budget to actuals impact
8. Ability to multi-task, work well under pressure and meet deadlines required.
9. Strong organizational and planning skills with ability to develop realistic action plans based on time constraints and resource availability.
10. Results oriented with ability to work at a fast pace, determine priorities, and meet critical deadlines.
11. Decision-making and problem solving – ability to take action in solving problems while exhibiting judgment and a realistic understanding of issues.
Competitive salary and excellent benefits package which includes:
· Flexible work arrangements including telework up to 3 days/week
· After 1 year of employment, you are eligible for one month of “work from anywhere” per year; after 10 years, you are eligible for fully paid 1 month sabbatical leave
· Medical, dental and vision insurance, majority company paid
· 401K with immediate company contribution
· 23 days of Paid Time Off annually
· 13 Paid Holidays
· Student loan repayment assistance + tuition reimbursement
· Employer paid short and long term disability insurance and more
TriSource Staffing Solutions
Finance and Insurance
Get fresh CPA Controller jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.