MSW - Social Worker - Inpatient Unit
- Posted: over a month ago
Key Result Areas Position Description
Title: Social Worker Inpatient Unit
Date: March 2021
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Supervisor: Director of the Inpatient Units
Under the supervision on the Director of the Inpatient Units, the Social Worker is responsible for performing assessments, psychosocial services and interventions with the patient and family within the scope of practice as a member of the interdisciplinary team at the Inpatient Unit. The Social Worker performs duties that include assessment, intervention, anticipatory grief counseling, care planning, documentation, collaborative/communication and the efficient use of various resources to hospice patients and families.
- Master of Social Work degree from an approved college or university accredited by the Council on Social Work Education
- Must be licensed or licensed eligible
- Hospice experience preferred
- Two years’ experience in patient care, home care or an acute care setting
- Must be self-directed; be able to work well independently, as well as a member of a team
- Keep up to date professionally via education, continuing education courses, etc.
- Skilled in written and oral communication
- Incumbent may be required to perform emergency duty before, during and/or beyond normal work hours or days in the event of an emergency, crisis situation or disaster (man-made or natural) including evacuation sites. The person in the position will work in a smoke-free location in is expected to adhere to all smoking restrictions
- Attendance is a condition of employment
- Provide program development strategies for Treasure Coast Hospice, in an organized, routine capacity that will enable the cohesion of team developments. Work collaboratively with other departments, demonstrate and encourage leadership for a comprehensive approach to program development. Inspire staff to live the Treasure Coast Hospice’s Mission, to achieve its Vision, and demonstrate our Values and Commitment. Be current in legal and compliance hospice issues.
Key Result Areas
- Responsible for upholding Treasure Coast Hospice/Model Standards for patient visits and compliant documentation.
- Clearly understanding and adhering to each Standard.
- Motivate and lead self with confidence, energy and integrity.
- Performs assessment, intervention and goal setting with patients and families among the team members.
- Participates fully in the planning and the delivery of hospice care services in accordance to the scope of practice. Assists patients/families in connecting with available community services.
- Assumes the role of advocate for the patient/family unity, planning for future care, funeral arrangements, obtaining financial information, Medicaid applications (as needed), advanced directives, discharge planning, and other matters related to advocacy.
- Facilitate case conferences to bridge care to facilitate discharge planning.
- Work collaboratively with the billing specialist on the Medicare Application process and with the managed care program.
- Manage multiple demands on their time and triage workflow based on acuity.
- Establishes therapeutic relationships and maintains healthy interpersonal boundaries with patients and families from a variety of cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. Demonstrates professional counseling skills, encompassing, but not limited to, engaging patients and caregivers, reframing, reflecting, clarifying, affirming strengths, normalizing emotions, setting goals and limits, and involving patient families in the plan of care. Demonstrates the ability to
- Lead and act as a facilitator for groups of patients, caregivers, and/or staff in processing grief and other emotions surrounding death and dying.
- Contacts patient/family within one hour when an immediate need/crisis is indicated. Within one hour of an immediate or crisis visit, report findings to immediate supervisor. Records all patient/family visits, telephone contacts in the medical record within a period of 24 hours.
- Communicates and collaborates with other disciplines on the team, as well as maintain relationships with community partners as evidenced by active participation on IDTs and case consultations.
- Responsible for accurate and timely completion of Psychosocial Assessment, Plan of Care, progress notes and all other documentation in accordance with regulatory requirements and agency policies and procedures. All documentation is clinically appropriate and care-plan driven to accurately reflect goals of care, interventions(s) provided and changes in patient’s conditions.
- Supports the Service Excellence initiative, by serving internal and external customers in a manner that increases their confidence and knowledge, responding timely, efficiently and courteously to their needs and concerns. Demonstrates application of Vision, Mission and Values in all interactions with internal and external customers.
- Must be available to accept on-call responsibilities on a rotation basis.
- Must have the capacity to embrace a flexible work schedule to meet the patient and family needs.
- Participate as an active supporter of the Treasure Coast Hospice’s compliance program, including an emphasis to report, as well as complying with all Federal, State and Local laws as well as the organization’s compliance program.
- Fulfill all responsibilities related to the success of the strategic plan of the organization, as requested and assigned.
- Performs other duties as required and conforms with and abides by all policies and procedures.
Position will be categorized as category II (involves no routine exposure to blood, body fluids/tissues but may occasionally require performing unplanned category I tasks).
- Walks or stands 50-60% of the time.
- Must be able to lift 10 to 20 lbs.
- May be subjected to offensive odors.
- May be required to travel as needed to fulfill the job duties.
- During emergency situations may be exposed to heat, rain wind and/or cold.
- During emergency situations may be subjected to long work hours.
EEO/Drug Free Workplace
Treasure Coast Hospice
GovernmentView all jobs at Treasure Coast Hospice