Commercial Surety Underwriter-Account Executive
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities:
General Responsibilities: Underwriting new and renewal business. Building and maintaining productive relationships with agents and brokers. Consistently achieving budgeted financial results. Collaborating with BU and region colleagues as well as internal/external business associates. Sales, agency development and management. Underwriting & Pricing: Underwrites and assesses risk for small to mid-size renewals and new business items in conjunction with BU strategies. May underwrite larger renewals. Considers different approaches toward risks to maximize profitability. Makes appropriate decisions within own underwriting authority. Underwrites moderately complex-to-complex accounts/risks. Manages the submission and underwriting process for own agency plant, working with more experienced underwriters if outside authority. Can easily articulate whether or not account is within or outside underwriting appetite/strategy, along with the reasons for that determination. Independently sets account strategy, occasionally partners with AEO or MD to set account strategy. Makes recommendations to underwriter 2, as appropriate. For P & C, may act as an Underwriter 2 for Processing and Underwriting Procedures for Small Accounts (PUPS). May input financials and is able to calculate key ratios and more complex financial metrics, drawing conclusions about the financial health of an account. In addition to, or in lieu of, financials, may review other key metrics; makes decisions regarding pricing, capacity, terms and conditions based on those analyses on complex accounts. Proactively collaborates with regional and Home Office underwriters Maintains accurate underwriting documentation and information. Meets quality assurance standards May act as a Region or industry resident expert. Underwriting Operations: Manages flow of new and renewal business. Agency Management/Relationship: Lead or participate in agency training sessions. May be sought out by broker/agent for his/her expertise regarding industry and local issues. Primary agency or broker relationship is producer / internal broker. Sales Management/Marketing: Leverages agent/broker relationships to drive new business opportunities via existing relationships as well as where there is no existing relationship; continually prospects for new opportunities. Achieves and/or surpasses agency/broker visibility goals. Acts as a business partner to agents and brokers. Uses strong negotiation skills and deep product knowledge to meet the needs of the account. Develops agency plant sales/business plan. Sales activities should include some of the larger and more important agency/brokers/clients. Participates in, and may lead, underwriting/agency meetings. Actively contributes in Region and/or Business Unit sales meetings. Regularly attends agency/broker events and/or industry functions. Takes the initiative to partner with colleagues in other Bond and Specialty Insurance or Travelers BUs to cross sell all Travelers products. Is able to utilize analytics and tools to assist in the sale and pricing (if applicable) of accounts. Other duties as assigned.
Job Opening ID:
Requires travel minimum 20% of time.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies:
Able to proficiently use all Bond and Specialty Insurance technology tools. Can negotiate skillfully in routine situations. Able to gain the trust of others quickly. Takes ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance and results. Can identify current or future problems or opportunities; able to analyze, synthesize and compare information to understand issues; able to identify cause/effect relationships and can explore alternative solutions to support sound decision making. Able to remain energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands. Demonstrates effective verbal, written and listening communication skills. Can provide service excellence to internal or external clients. Able to exercise sound judgment, make decisions and commit to a position. Has the ability to work with and include people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives. Can seek out, build, foster and maintain productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results. Can work with others in situations where a team is mutually responsible to produce a result. Can takes ideas different from own seriously; able to share responsibility and collaborate with others; accepts criticism well. Able to self-reflect on strengths and weaknesses and is willing to improve. Can seek out experiences that may change perspective or provide an opportunity to learn new things. Can act as a role model for employees and keeps a positive attitude. Acts in accordance with stated values; follows through on promises; uses ethical considerations to guide decisions and actions.
COMMERCIAL SURETY - AE
Marketing title: Account Executive (Underwriter - Surety) - Commercial Surety
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
The Bond and Specialty Insurance division of Travelers is seeking to add an experienced Account Executive (Underwriter) to our Commercial Surety team. This is an opportunity to join a successful, dedicated, and collaborative team of underwriters in a highly visible and challenging role. Account Executives (Underwriters) have the opportunity to build a unique and rewarding career at an Industry leader within a highly specialized niche of the Insurance Industry.
Underwriting in Commercial Surety is a dynamic blend of the following:
- Financial analysis/risk assessment: gather and analyze pertinent information in order to evaluate the acceptability of business risk within assigned book of business
- Marketing: build and maintain relationships with agents, brokers, and insured clients to help achieve business goals
- New business development and retention: sell to, negotiate with, and influence agents and brokers to manage a profitable book of business
- Manage a high quality, diverse, and complex customer base across multiple industries
- Partner with other high performing underwriters, senior leadership, and a highly specialized internal Claim organization to execute business unit underwriting strategy
- Design, develop, and implement a broker/agency sales and marketing plan specific to assigned territory
- Leverage Industry leading product expertise and data analytics to identify new business opportunities
- Benefit from cross sell opportunities and established relationships within other Travelers' business units
- Develop personally and professionally through experiences, coaching, active management support, and a wide variety of career development resources
- Experience Travelers' unique culture which is collaborative, supportive, and values the need to balance work and life
- Commercial Surety provides surety bonds for a wide range of industries including manufacturing, public utilities, technology, healthcare, financial institutions and retail. The underwriting process begins with financial analysis and risk assessment, and expands to include interacting with decision makers ranging from the largest multi-national companies to Main Street businesses. Commercial Surety allows underwriters to establish their careers with the Industry leader.
Under general supervision, responsible for the production and retention of a profitable book of business within an assigned territory that is consistent with overall Bond and Specialty Insurance/Business Unit strategies and objectives. This role does not manage others.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge:
3-6 years of underwriting experience preferred. Bachelor degree preferred. Industry Knowledge: Understands the local insurance marketplace, industry business