Transportation Security AdministrationFairbanks, AK
Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
**Securing Travel, Protecting People** - At the Transportation Security Administration, you will serve in a high-stakes environment to safeguard the American way of life. In cities across the country, you would secure airports, seaports, railroads, highways, and/or public transit systems, thus protecting America's transportation infrastructure and ensuring freedom of movement for people and commerce. For additional information about our agency please: Click Here
Learn more about this agency
As a Lead Transportation Security Officer (LTSO) within Security Operations (SO), Transportation Security Administration (TSA), Department of Homeland Security (DHS), you will be responsible for leading at least three full-performance level Transportation Security Officers (TSOs), and as assigned, trainee and apprentice level TSOs. As an LTSO, you will identify, distribute, and balance workloads and tasks among employees in accordance with established workflow and skill level. You will make adjustments to accomplish the workload in accordance with established priorities. Duties may include but are not limited to:
* Providing input to supervisors and managers concerning a variety of human resources matters including, but not limited to, employee performance, promotions, reassignments, awards, etc. * Implementing security screening procedures in accordance with TSA objectives and directives. * Assisting with investigations of incidents, and preparing incident reports or other documents that convey required information. * Responding to breaches of security and emergency situations. * Training team members, monitoring and reporting on the status and progress of work, and representing the team in communications with the supervisor or manager for the purpose of obtaining resources (e.g., computer hardware and software, etc.).
##### Supervisory status
##### Promotion Potential
* #### Job family (Series)
1802 Compliance Inspection And Support
### Conditions of Employment
* You must possess U.S. Citizenship or be a U.S. National. * You must complete a favorable Background Investigation (BI). * Must pass pre-employment drug screening AND random drug/alcohol testing. * You must have reached the minimum age (18) at the time of application. * Selective Service registration is required. * See additional "Conditions of Employment" and "Other Information" sections.
**Conditions of Employment:** Appointment to this position is contingent upon a negative drug test result. Any individual tentatively selected for this position will be required to submit to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Must meet and maintain medical requirements for screening work (including a medical examination and physical abilities assessment) including, but not limited to, the following:
* You must be able to efficiently and thoroughly manipulate and lift baggage, containers, and other objects subject to security processing; * You must be able to repeatedly lift and carry items weighing up to 70 pounds; * You must be able to maintain physical agility that would allow you to squat, bend, and lean to inspect individuals and baggage/cargo; * You must be able to maintain the ability to walk up to two miles during a shift and stand for prolonged periods (e.g., 3-4 hours) of time; * You must be able to maintain a measured threshold for sight: * Distance vision correctable to 20/30 or better in the best eye and 20/100 or better in worst eye. Near vision correctable to 20/40 or better Snellen binocular; * You must maintain a measured threshold for hearing: Average hearing loss of 25 decibels (ANSI) at 500, 1000, 2000, & 3000 Hz in each ear. No greater than 45 decibels at 4000 and 6000 Hz in each ear; * You must be able to distinguish principle colors that will be a part of images displayed on automated screens: Color perception (e.g., red, green, blue, yellow, orange, purple, brown, black, white, gray). Note: Color filters for enhancing color discrimination are prohibited; * You must be able to maintain eligibility for a security clearance; * You must be able to maintain proficiency in all facets of assigned work sufficient to ensure recertification; * You must be available to work various shifts and overtime, as needed; * You must be proficient in English (e.g., reading, writing, speaking, comprehending); and, * You must possess U.S. Citizenship or be a U.S. National. * You must pass pre-employment drug screening AND you will be subject to post-employment random drug and alcohol testing. * Exposure to potentially lethal devices and dangerous chemicals is inherent in this position. * This is an Emergency Essential position.
**To qualify for the SV-F Pay Band** you must demonstrate at least six months of specialized experience performing the duties of a Transportation Security Officer at the SV-D Pay Band or GS-5/6 in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private sector. **Specialized experience** is experience that has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of this position. Such experience will include:
* Providing front line security protection to air travelers, airports, and airplanes. * Wanding, performing pat down searches, operating an x-ray machine, screening baggage, and reviewing tickets. * Identifying dangerous objects on passengers and in baggage or cargo, and preventing these objects from being transported onto aircraft. * Using diverse electronic detection and imaging equipment. National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience): Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
**NOTE:** Credit for experience is given based on a 40-hour workweek. Part-time experience is credited on a part-time ratio, i.e., working 20 hours per week for two months equals one month of experience. No additional credit is given for overtime.
You must meet the qualification requirements for this position no later than the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
**Minimum Entry Age Requirement:** To be determined eligible applicants must have reached the minimum entry age of 18 years at the time their application is submitted and, if selected for the position, will be required to provide such proof prior to appointment.
### Additional information
Eligibility to apply for other Federal positions: TSA is an Excepted Service agency exempt from most of Title 5 United States Code, including regulations which apply to displaced Federal employees (CTAP/ICTAP) of other agencies, and employment with TSA does not confer "Competitive Status" that generally results from selection and service in Competitive Service agencies. The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) has established an Interchange Agreement, which allows most permanent TSA employees to apply and be considered for vacancies in Competitive Service agencies. Information from OPM on this or other Interchange Agreements is available at: http://www.opm.gov .
To ensure the accomplishment of our mission, DHS requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, all selected applicants must undergo and successfully pass a background investigation as a condition of placement into this position.
DHS uses E-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify including your rights and responsibilities.
TSA employees who are absent for the purpose of performing military duty may apply for any vacancies announced in their absence.
It is the policy of the Government not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or has had financial difficulties that have arisen through no fault of the individual. Information about an individual?s employment experience will be used only to determine the person?s qualifications and to assess his or her relative level of knowledge, skills, and abilities. Although an individual?s personal conduct may be relevant in any employment decision, including conduct during periods of unemployment or evidence of dishonesty in handling financial matters, financial difficulty that has arisen through no fault of the individual will generally not itself be the basis of an unfavorable suitability or fitness determination. For more information, click here .
Payment of relocation expenses (Permanent Change of Station) is not authorized.
Qualified non-competitive eligible candidates may be referred for consideration on a separate, unranked list.
More than one position may be filled from this announcement.
This position is within the Specialized category of TSA's Core Compensation Plan.
TSA policy requires verification of Selective Service registration for male applicants born after 12/31/59. For more information click here .
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
Veterans and persons with disabilities possess a wealth of unique talents, experiences, and competencies that can be invaluable to the DHS mission. If you are a member of one of these groups, you may not have to compete with the public for federal jobs. To determine your eligibility for non-competitive appointment and to understand the documentation that is required, click on the links above or contact the Servicing Human Resources Office listed at the bottom of this announcement.
This position is not covered by Law Enforcement Availability Pay or Law Enforcement Retirement.
**Bargaining Unit Status:** This position is in the bargaining unit for which the American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE) is the exclusive representative.
### How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated based on a comparison of the position requirements against the quality and extent of the experience and/or related education as reflected in your resume and supporting documentation. You are encouraged to ensure work experiences clearly show possession of the competencies required for this position. We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If, after reviewing your resume and any supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your category placement may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job.
Candidates will be rated and ranked using Category Grouping procedures. Under Category Grouping, candidates will be rated and ranked into one of three categories:
Best-Qualified: Applicants possessing experience that substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position and demonstrate high proficiency in all of the critical competencies, including all Selective Placement Factors (SPF) and appropriate Desirable (Quality Ranking) Factors as determined by the job analysis.
Well-Qualified: Applicants possessing experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position and demonstrates acceptable proficiency in all of the critical competencies, including all SPFs as determined by the job analysis.
Qualified: Applicants possessing experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position and demonstrate basic proficiency in most of the critical competencies, including all SPFs as determined by the job analysis. **To preview questions please click here.**
### Background checks and security clearance
##### Security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
##### Drug test required
* Required Documents
## Required Documents
**Current TSA employees are not required to submit a SF-50 to support eligibility for consideration.**
#### If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
DHS offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(k)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include flexible work schedules; telework; tuition reimbursement; transportation subsidies; uniform allowance; health and wellness programs; and fitness centers. DHS is committed to employee development and offers a variety of employee training and developmental opportunities. For more information, go to the DHS Careers website and select ?Benefits.? Disabled veteran leave will be available to any Federal employee hired on or after November 5, 2016, who is a veteran with a service-connected disability rating of 30 percent or more.
Employees who transfer to TSA from an agency that allows employees to maintain an annual leave balance higher than the maximum accumulation for the appointed position will have their leave ceiling set to the maximum accumulation for the appointed position (e.g., United States duty location - 240 hours, foreign duty location - 360 hours, or TSES position - 720 hours). TSA will not make a monetary payment for any leave forfeited under these circumstances.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
* How to Apply
## How to Apply
**Please Note:** All of the following must be received in our office by 11:59 PM EST (Eastern Standard Time) on the closing date of this announcement. If we do not receive all required information by the closing date, your application may not be considered.
Your application **must** include:
1. Resume 2. Self Assessment Questionnaire for this position 3. Applicable supporting documents (see Required Documents Section)
Click the "Apply Online" button below and follow the prompts to apply.
We strongly encourage you to apply online. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the TSA HRAccess Help Desk before the closing of this announcement for alternative options on how to apply. The Help Desk is available by phone at 1-877-872-7990 between the hours of: 7:00AM - 10:00PM ET Monday - Friday, 11:00AM - 3:00PM ET Saturday, or 12:00PM - 4:00PM ET Sunday. If outside these hours, please email your question or concern to Helpdesk@mailserver-hraccess.tsa.dhs.gov or fax 1-877-872-7993.
When contacting the Help Desk please provide your contact information, the Job Announcement Number of the position you are interested in, and your questions or concerns.
### Agency contact information
### HR Help Desk
DHS/Transportation Security Administration Shared Service Center 6363 Walker Lane Alexandria, Virginia 22310 United States
Learn more about this agency
### Next steps
The questionnaire will assess your qualifications for the job, and will be used to identify the best qualified applicants to be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We will notify you of the outcome of these steps when they have been completed. You may also check your application status by visiting the Candidate Dashboard. We expect to make a job offer within 30 business days after the deadline for applications.
Any offers of employment made pursuant to this announcement will be consistent with all applicable authorities concerning, including Presidential Memoranda, Executive Orders, interpretive U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) guidance, and Office of Management and Budget plans and policies concerning hiring. These authorities are subject to change.
**Salary Information**: The salary range listed above includes locality pay of 28.02% and COLA pay of 3.74%. In order to recruit and retain highly qualified employees at this location, TSA has also approved the payment of a bi-weekly retention incentive. The retention incentive is based on 25% of basic pay. Indefinite continuation of the incentive payment is contingent upon approved funding.
This position is located at Fairbanks International Airport (FAI) in Fairbanks, AK.
* Fair & Transparent
## Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
### Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
* Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
### Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
* An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job. * An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace. * An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
#### Legal and regulatory guidance
* Financial suitability * Social security number request * Privacy Act * Signature and false statements * Selective Service * New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/514088200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
*Open & closing dates:* 10/17/2018 to 10/26/2018
*Pay scale & grade:* SV F
*Salary:* $47,123 to $70,760 per year
*Appointment type:* Permanent
*Work schedule:* Full-Time - Full Time
Transportation Security Administration
Get fresh Lead Transportation Security Officer jobs daily straight to your inbox!
Most Popular Jobs Similar to Lead Transportation Security Officer