Right now, music lessons are so inaccessible that the joy of music is available only to the rich and urban. Imagine instead a world where all 4 billion people who will pick up an instrument in the next 20 years could get world-class lessons. Imagine how much more music and joy there would be in the world. That is the future were obsessed with realizing.
Our first product, Trala: Learn Violin is a mobile application that teaches anyone how to play violin. We do this using movie-quality tutorial videos featuring famous violinists and signal processing that listens to students play their real violins and gives instant feedback on every mistake. This is crazy-hard and requires us to solve novel problems in signal processing, app design, user psychology, and education theory.
Over the last 3 years, we have organically grown Trala to 250,000 downloads, students in 100+ countries, and support from some of the most famous musicians in the world. Our students are ages 7 to 70 and live in rural Montana, Syria, tiny Pacific islands, Hong Kong, and our home town of Chicago. Theyre not businesses or governments, theyre people. Theyve dreamt of learning violin for years and were fulfilling those dreams. They say things like this to us:
I had never progressed this far no matter what I did. I just want to say thank you. You made my dream come true
Ive been using Trala for just under three months now and can honestly say its changed my life.
Were ready to expand. In the next 18 months, we will:
- Launch a coordinated marketing strategy for the very first time.
- Roll out new instruments and launch in new languages.
- Unleash our students creativity by allowing them to create their own content.
- Reach 1M all-time downloads.
Its going to be a massive challenge. Thats where you come in.
Your mission will be to find and build a scalable, ROI-positive marketing channel while building a world-class brand for Trala.
We're looking for someone who has the following competencies:
- Previous growth marketing experience at a B2C company.
- Experience running successful marketing campaigns.
- Deep empathy for the journey of each individual student.
- Performance marketing expertise.
- SEO/SEM expertise.
- Data analytics skills. Ability to use data and statistics to lend credibility to marketing strategies and to communicate areas for improvement.
- Action-oriented. Moves with purpose, urgency, and adventure.
- Hands-on. Willing and eager to learn new skills to help out the team. Doesnt view any task as below or above them.
- Self-starter. Egoless. Creative.
- Ability to effortlessly work with famous people.
- Understands development cycles and engineering limitations/abilities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Extremely high standards.
- Musical background is ideal but not required.
- Trala deeply impacts peoples lives all across the world. These are dreams youll be fulfilling. Not leveraged data monetization or whatever value Facebook claims to provide these days.
- We don't have users, we have students. You'll become deeply connected with them. Most Trala team members find themselves developing close friendships with students.
- Trala is funded by amazing people like the LinkedIn and Duolingo CEOs. These folks are leaders, and they are invested in helping us become great.
- Trala prioritizes diversity, inclusion, and righting economic and social wrongs. We strive to make our corner of the world a better place.
- Youll be paid well, have free medical/dental/vision, and work with people who are the best at what they do.
- Sam: CEO. Violinist and engineer. Mastermind behind Tralas musical pedagogy. Uses words like pedagogy.
- Vish: CTO. Winner of 4 national hackathons. Has eaten a Death Sandwich and survived.
- Chen: UI/UX. Fashionable, like all good visual designers. Looking at her designs is like getting winked at by your celebrity crush. Trala power student.
- Josh: Lead iOS engineer. Navy submarine officer for 10 years. They finally let him resurface amongst the landfolk but occasionally we see a periscope out of the corner of our eye and he ducks under a table.
- Mariah: Lead Android Engineer. Former D1 Athlete at Princeton. Named after Mariah Carey. Spongebob Enthusiast. Believes in the sanctity of Arbys.
- Geoff: Pro violinist. In four bands. Or five. Its hard to keep track.
- Rachael: Pro violinist. Played at that white-tie gala we werent invited to.
- Matthew: Lead web engineer. Boilermaker. Enjoys golf, video games, and piano. Always in that order. Suspiciously good at poker. Dogs > cats. Also sometimes builds websites.
- Simeon: Senior iOS Engineer. 3rd degree black belt, rock-climber and amateur Donald Glover impersonator.
- Llama: Where did the llama come from? Why does it keep staring at me? Play it cool.
- You: Shrouded in mystery (for now).