Mechanical Design Engineer
Tractel® is a world leading safety specialist providing reliable, innovative and cost-effective working-at-height solutions and services. These solutions are used in many end-user applications, in particular in industrial, construction, energy, telecom and infrastructure projects. Tractel®’s solutions portfolio comprises of height safety, load measurement and control, lifting and handling, temporary and permanent access, in-situ inspection and maintenance services.
Established more than 70 years ago, Tractel® today has significant manufacturing facilities in Europe (France, Germany, Poland, Spain), the USA (Minneapolis, Houston), Canada (Toronto, Montreal), China (Shanghai), Singapore and Turkey. These facilities are supported by dedicated centres of excellence in R&D, engineering and safety standards. Tractel® has customers in 120 countries, subsidiaries in 19 countries, 10,000 distributors around the world, and employs around 1,100 people.
This network of expertise, experience and geographical locations allows Tractel® to achieve global reach with local presence.
We've added several engineers this year and we are looking for a few more to join our team. We are looking for engineers of senior and intermediate experience levels to join us as we continue to grow in our niche markets across North America. Our team members are motivated individuals that help each other do remarkable things every day. We’re as diverse as they come but we are all like-minded in our attitudes, staying active learners, staying positive in our work zones and striving to do exceptional. We face challenges together and we win together. And together, we deliver world-class solutions that quietly transform the way the world thinks about access and maintenance.
Mechanical Design Engineer
We’re looking for someone who is a strong communicator, well-rounded in engineering fundamentals, can devise concept designs following customer specifications and produce the engineering drawings to make it reality at a price point acceptable to the customer. First and foremost, you are large custom machine designers. We’d also love to meet with people that are particularly strong in a few areas listed in this job description and we’ll help with the rest. The ideal candidate will reflect a positive “can-do” attitude with the desire to improve their skillsets to take on senior roles.
Processes are fairly typical of construction/manufacturing type industries wherein you will be moving through customer specifications to drawings to review and production. As a mechanical design engineer, you will be drafting some of these design drawings, but also reviewing and approving shop drawings and production drawings. With your exceptional CAD skills (Solidworks and AutoCAD) and experience in custom engineered solutions, you’ll be working closely with Project Managers, senior engineers and at times the business development team to ensure the project design is consistent with what was sold and the project stays on budget. Periodically, you’ll be providing technical assistance to the sales and business development teams during the proposal and estimation phase to help Tractel minimize its risk exposures and ensure we deliver the best product at the best possible price. A job description would not be complete without a catch all requirement that you perform other duties as assigned by Management.
Our engineering and projects teams are highly collaborative and moves fast on executing new projects and ideas. We try out new ideas constantly, learn from them and execute again… You will be in the front lines in this development process and will take on a critical part in taking Tractel and the project/engineering team to the next level in this position.
In order to be considered for this position, you MUST have:
· Min. 5+ years of North American machine design experience that is backed by a Bachelors degree, Masters degree and/or PhD in mechanical, structural or civil and other related engineering disciplines
· Superior communications skills in ENGLISH are a must
· Strong working knowledge and demonstrable capability of Solidworks, AutoCAD and MS Office products
· Demonstrable ability to perform algebraic calculations for weight, force, moment, volume so you can apply those to your drawings, and “size” components and parts
· Good understanding of welding symbols, geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T), tolerance stack up analysis, to complete sketches, layout drawings, production/working level drawings with fabrication
· Strong working knowledge of structures including relevant steel, aluminum, welding ASME, ANSI and CSA standards
· Good understanding of custom design work of large scale steel and aluminum fabricated machines, factory/industrial settings, civil and large infrastructure, field experience in construction, installation or related work, are aware of building codes, structural codes
· A P.Eng or PE US equivalent
· Capable of performing structural calculations and analysis following ANSI/AISC 360 and/or Canadian equivalents of steel and aluminum structural designs i.e. CSA-16, CSA S157
· Strong capability in determining steel and aluminum welding calculations and requirements (i.e. AWS D1.1/D1.2, CSA W47/59, etc),
· Able to complete hand calcs to justify design development
We offer a competitive compensation package. You must be able to travel through North America without restrictions and have authorization (PR or citizen) to work in Canada without our support.