The Town of Tiverton, RI, is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Fire Chief. Minimum requirements include but are not limited to a certification and license with the RI Dept. of Health as an Emergency Medical Technician; an Associate’s Degree in fire science, public administration or related field; 10 years’ experience with progressively greater responsibility in fire department management, firefighting, fire prevention and emergency medical services; 5 years’ experience in a command position; and 2 years administrative experience. Salary $75,000 - $85,000, DOQ. More detailed information is available at www.tiverton.ri.gov. Resumes/applications must be submitted no later than 4:00 PM Wednesday, July 29th, 2020. The Town of Tiverton is an EEO/AA employer.
The Fire Chief is responsible for managing, directing and coordinating the operations of the Fire Department in the Town of Tiverton, which has a population of approximately 15,780 and covers 36.3 square miles. The Town has a Town Council-Administrator form of government, with the Fire Chief reporting to the Administrator. The Department currently employs 28 full-time Fire and Emergency Medical Services (EMS) personnel at three fire stations. It has an operating budget of approximately $2.6 million dollars.
The successful candidate will be a professional, command level fire officer, with demonstrated experience leading a municipal fire department, who embraces a high level of personal and departmental accountability. The position requires extensive knowledge of fire suppression, emergency medical services, fire prevention, and emergency management, along with the ability to motivate and lead department personnel, coordinate with colleagues in other departments and agencies, and interact in a productive manner with elected officials and members of the public.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the protection of life and property from multiple hazards by directing all Fire Department incident response activity.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, manages, directs and commands all offices, divisions, operations, personnel and activities within the fire department including but not limited to fire protection and inspection, firefighting, emergency medical services, fire equipment, HAZMAT response, and fire facilities maintenance activities of the Tiverton Fire Department, in accordance with state law, the Town Charter, and Town ordinances, policies, procedures and priorities.
- Serves as Emergency Management Director, responsible for assisting the Town Administrator during an emergency. Acts as liaison between the Town and the Rhode Island Emergency Management Agency. Prepares and maintains an Emergency Operations Plan for the utilization of Town facilities, equipment and personnel during a declared emergency. Coordinates proactively with the Chief of Police and Director of Public Works, as well as the Town Administrator, for the purpose of emergency preparedness, mitigation, response, and recovery.
- Administrative duties include oversight of payroll function, purchasing of supplies and equipment, preparation of budget estimates, documenting, tracking and evaluating department performance, and reporting on same. Participates in personnel actions such as hiring, termination, assignments, evaluation, and labor relations; promotes equal opportunity in hiring; oversees and ensures integrity of Department promotional processes; administers labor contracts including grievances procedures and provides discipline as necessary.
- Directs the preparation and analysis of fire records and reports to secure efficient operations, to meet service demands and to comply with authorized requests for information regarding activities and personnel of the Fire Department.
- Supervises and coordinates the preparation and presentation of a proposed annual budget for the Fire Department to the Town Manager; directs and controls the implementation of the Fire Department's adopted budget; analyzes and recommends improvements to equipment and facilities as needed.
- Prepares a comprehensive annual plan of specific goals and objectives to the Town Manager and Town Council.
- Reports to the Town Manager in a regular and proactive manner.
- Attends meetings of Town boards, commissions and other community organizations to represent the Department, answer questions and present reports, plans and recommendations.
- Maintains a current knowledge of developments in the field of emergency services, fire prevention, firefighting operations and administration.
- Oversees department training and safety program to ensure that all safety, loss control and injury protection policies and protocols are known and adhered to by all department personnel. Responsible for taking corrective action regarding training and safety needs.
- Serves on committees, boards and task forces as assigned.
- The Fire Chief shall be available 24 hours a day, unless excused by the Town Manager.
- Thorough knowledge of fire suppression and prevention and emergency medical principles and techniques.
- Must have Fire Instructor 1 and Fire Department Safety Officer certification or obtain both within 1 year of appointment.
- Thorough knowledge of relevant local, State and Federal laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of the physical layout of the Town including fire hydrants, water supply, and street system.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration, including financial management.
- Demonstrated ability to command fire and other emergency incident scenes.
- Ability to proactively plan, organize and direct the work of Fire Department employees.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, public officials, other local, State and Federal governmental agencies, the media, community/businesses leaders and organizations and the general public.
- Ability to compose clear and correct written correspondence and reports.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures and government regulations.
- Excellent computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office, database management and financial programs.
- Must be able to maintain highly confidential information, such as personnel records, criminal investigations and records, and personal information about residents, among others.
- Must successfully pass an annual physical examination and a background check as a condition of employment.
Minimum Experience and Training
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience with progressively greater responsibility in fire department management, firefighting, fire prevention and EMS; five (5) years of experience in a command position; and 2 years of administrative experience..
- Associate’s degree in Fire Science, Management, Public Administration or any equivalent combination of education, training and work experience.
- Fire Instructor I certification.
- Fire Department Safety Officer certified within one (1) year of appointment. The ability to drive a motor vehicle in Rhode Island, operate specialized fire control equipment and standard office equipment. Must hold and maintain a valid driver’s license as a condition of employment.
- Rhode Island EMT-Cardiac certified.
- All certifications must be maintained as a condition of continued employment.
Preferred Experience and Training
- Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree in Fire Science, Management, Public Administration or related fields.
- Fire Officer I certification.
- Fire Instructor II certification.
- State of Rhode Island Fire Marshal certified.
- Enrollment in or completion of the National Fire Academy’s Executive Fire Officer Program.