Neighborhood Improvement Specialist II (Code Inspector) Full-Time
- $50,939 to $56,222 Yearly
The Position:Under general supervision, this is an intermediate position that involves inspections, community engagement, problem-solving, and enforcement of the Town's community standards. The community standards, commonly referred to as codes, apply to all residential and commercial properties, establish minimum requirements for the upkeep of properties, and technical requirements in the built environment.As part of the ONS Team, the Neighborhood Improvement Specialist II is tasked with improving neighborhood quality of life, improving safety in the built environment, and encouraging active participation in neighborhood redevelopment. Most of the time is spent in the field, having daily contact with property and business owners, tenants, community stakeholders, and neighborhood groups. The position requires managing an active caseload, negotiating improvement plans, ensuring timely follow-up, abatement of deficiencies, and encouraging neighborhood improvement participation.
The Town of Riverdale Park has a mandatory vaccination policy and proof of COVID-19 vaccinations and boosters are required as a condition of employment and continued employment.
Compensation: The starting salary range is $50,939 to $56,222; depending on qualifications. The Town offers competitive health care benefits, a leave package, and excellent retirement plan options. The Town offers $2,080 per year for bilingual speaking and writing English-Spanish skills in addition to base pay.
Supervision Received: Work is assigned and performed under the general supervision of the Director of Development Services.
Supervision Exercised: None.
Ideal Candidate:The ideal candidate will be seeking an exciting opportunity to assist in creating changethroughout the Town's neighborhoods and business areas.A minimum ofa Bachelor's degree is required. A bachelor's degree in engineering, construction management, architecture, or public administration is highly preferred. A combination of relevant experience and education may substitute. Demonstrated experience must include at least two (2) years in community engagement, planning, code or law enforcement, licensing/permitting, familiarity with building development/construction, municipal operations, or related work. Proficiency in Microsoft Office is required.
Also, the ideal candidate must have the following abilities:
- Communicate (verbally and in written form) effectively with a diverse community and workplace; interacting with a broad range of stakeholders
- Interpret and implement local policies and procedures; written instructions, general correspondence, and Federal, State, and local regulations
- Maintain discretion regarding files, reports, and conversations, within the provisions of the Maryland Public Information Law and other applicable State and Federal regulations
- A high degree of comprehension, memory recall, and analytic ability involving technical and complex requirements
- Define problems and deal with a variety of situations to think quickly, maintain self-control, and adapt to stressful situations
- Multitask and prioritize requests and projects to meet deadlines, and organize work independently
Within six (6) months of employment, the successful candidate must obtain and maintain certification as a Property Maintenance/Housing Inspector from the International Code Council. The Town provides training. Lastly, the candidate must maintain a valid Class D vehicle operator's license and satisfactory driving record.
Department:Neighborhood Services encourages owners and tenants to work with the Town and our partners to meet or exceed compliance with the Town's codes and community standards to ensure safe and well-maintained homes, businesses, and neighborhoods. These efforts protect investments, enhance the quality of life throughout the Town, and add to the curb appeal of TRP to ensure that the Town is the location of choice for residents, businesses, visitors, and investors.The regulatory programs involve licensing, permits, and inspection. The Office comprises two (2) neighborhood improvement specialists reporting to and working with the Director of Development Services. A centralized Office of Administrative Services provides program management and support services.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ACTIVITIES:
- This position requires light physical work requiring lifting up to 25 pounds and lifting and carrying up to 10 pounds.
- Physical activities include stooping, pulling, lifting, reaching, grasping, and repetitive motions.
- Walking, standing, and mainly sitting at will but maybe for long distances and sustained periods of time. At times, this movement will be over uneven or rough terrain.
- Includes the necessity to communicate by talking, hearing/listening.
- This job's specific vision abilities include close, distance, and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
The Community:The Town of Riverdale Park is a growing community. The Town is situated between the City of Hyattsville and the City of College Park, Maryland. The Town's population is approximately 7,286. The Town is experiencing significant development and is poised for additional development as two Purple-Line Stations will be constructed within the Town. The Town operates under a Council-Manager form of government. The Town's elected leadership is comprised of a Mayor and six (6) Council Members. The Mayor serves as the chair of the Council, the legislative branch of the Town government. The Town's staff leadership team reports to the Town Manager. The Town's FY2022 Operating Budget is 7.3MM.
Challenges / Opportunities:This is an exciting opportunity topositively impact the built environment and the Town's quality of life. Like many departments in small-to-mid-sized towns experiencing growth, the ONS faces challenges associated with evolving expectations, leading change, transitioning to data-driven decision-making, improving policy and process implementation, and enhancing community services within operational and budgetary constraints.
Process:To apply, click theApply for this Jobtab (below or right). Applicants are required to submit a resume, cover letter, and three (3) professional references through this application portal. The position is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a continual basis.
The Town of Riverdale Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Town provides equal opportunity to all qualified applicants based on demonstrated fitness and merit as determined through the selection process without regard to sex, race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, age, mental or physical disability (as defined in the Americans with Disabilities Act), or any other basis protected by federal or state law, ordinance or regulation.
Town of Riverdale ParkRiverdale Park, MD
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.