- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Summary: Under limited direction, serves as the Finance Manager, plans, organizes, directs and controls the Financial Services Department including but not limited to budgeting, accounting, utility billing/receiving, payroll, and financial transactions.
Distinguishing Characteristics: This is the executive position in the Financial Services department and reports to the Town Manager.
Essential Job Functions: Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. The list that follows is not intended as a comprehensive list; it is intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed, and may be required to perform additional, position-specific tasks.
· Provides leadership and direction in the development of short and long range plans; gathers, interprets and prepares data for studies, reports and recommendations for decision-making purposes.
· Communicates official policies and procedures to supervisors, staff, and the general public.
· Plans, organizes, controls and assists in directing the financial, accounting, utility billing, collections, and payroll activities for the Town.
· Develops, prepares, recommends and maintains annual budget and budget reports.
· Monitors estimated budgets for assigned functions; reviews each department’s operating budget to identify variances and trends.
· Prepares a variety of financial and audit reports including accounting for Town funds, grant accounting, payroll and other reports as required.
· Provides management and maintenance of accounting system, processes, and records related to accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, property and equipment and other record preparation activities.
· Ensures recording of standard journal entries that need to be made monthly. Reviews and approves nonstandard journal entries prior to posting.
· Performs technical analysis of financial records and contracts with financial ramifications and makes recommendations for solutions to financial problems and actions needed.
· Prepares job cost reports.
· Prepares reconciliations of bank and investment accounts including State investment accounts.
· Perform duties related to monthly account closing on automated accounting system, general ledger, check register and budget comparison reports; submit approved printouts to supervisor for review.
· Prepares reconciliations of accounts payable and receivable, property and equipment, and other various accounts.
· Supervises the closing of year-end accounting. Supervises preparations of schedules for auditors, submits general ledger, and schedules auditors during audit periods.
· Performs or assists subordinates in performing duties; adjusts errors and complaints; hires, trains, supervises, determines disciplinary action and evaluates office staff.
· Creates automated accounting reports for Town Council approval of payments and cash requirements.
· Manages the finances of the department. Submits operating budget to Town Manager for approval, controls and monitors expenses. Ensures department purchasing and procurement follow policies and procedures.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of local, state and federal statutes, regulations as they pertain to municipal accounting and finance.
- Knowledge of the Municipal Code, Town Procurement Policy and other Town ordinances, rules and regulations, and Personnel Policies.
- Knowledge of municipal finance, public accounting, and auditing principles, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of financial analysis, projection techniques, budget control and revenue projects.
- Knowledge of financial statements and comprehensive accounting reports.
- Knowledge of budget preparation, bid and purchasing procedures and expense control.
- Skill in utilizing accounting and auditing practices and procedures applicable to public sector accounting including preparing budges and monitoring the disbursement of funds.
- Skill in preparing and analyzing financial data, forecasts, preparing narrative and statistical records and reports
- Skill in preparing budgets and monitoring the disbursement of funds.
- Skill in operating a personal computer and software applications not limited to word processing, spreadsheets, data base software, 10-key calculator, phone, copy machine, scanner.
- Skill in interpreting laws and regulations, making decisions, maintaining composure, and working effectively under stressful conditions and emergency situations.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles, practices and methods.
- Skill in effectively supervising, leading and delegating tasks and authority.
- Skill in interacting with people of different social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Skill in interpreting and applying rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Skill in following and effectively communicating verbal and written instructions.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers and the public; providing effective customer service, and dealing tactfully and courteously with the public.
Education, Experience, Certifications and Licenses:
· Bachelor degree in accounting, finance, business administration, public administration, or a closely related field.
· Five (5) years’ experience in public accounting or finance with at least three (3) years in a supervisory capacity.
· OR an equivalent combination of training and experience that provide the required knowledge and skills.
· Ability to be bonded.
· Must possess valid Arizona Driver’s License.
Environmental Factors and Conditions/Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required
· To sit for extended periods of time.
· Ability to speak and hear.
· Use of hands and fingers to handle and feel objects, operate tools, or controls.
· Reach with hands and arms.
· Occasionally required to stand, and walk.
· Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
· Work is routinely performed in office environment with minimal exposure to inclement weather, and varying temperatures.
Town of Eagar
22 W 2nd StPhoenix, AZ
Finance and Insurance