Code Enforcement Officer
- Posted: over a month ago
- $50,000 to $65,000 Yearly
- Benefits: medical, vision, 401k, dental,
PERMITTING, CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER
The Town of Somerset seeks a full-time professional to serve as the Town’s permitting and Code Enforcement Officer, responsible for the oversight of the Town’s building, stormwater, and tree removal permitting services; building code and parking enforcement; and public works project management and utility oversight. Supervision and direction are given to professional, para-professional, technical and support staff. Supervision is received from the Town Manager.
The Code Enforcement Officer is an essential employee, meaning they are responsible for providing services that are critical functions required to maintain order, peace, safety, and the well-being of residents in the Town of Somerset. As such, the Code Enforcement Officer may be required to respond to emergencies as needed. Work-hours for this position, in addition to regular hours, may include some after-hours work as required, for example, attendance at monthly Town Council meetings.
About the Organization
The Town of Somerset is a small incorporated municipality consisting of roughly 0.28 square miles of land, consisting of 413 residential houses, a Town Hall and Pool, and 4 miles of streets, many quite narrow. See appendices A-1 and A-2 for map of the Town and a listing of streets, respectively. As a municipality, the Town operates through the authority granted it by Article XI-E of the Maryland Constitution, and Article 23A of the Annotated Code of Maryland. The Town Charter provides that the Town be governed by a five-member elected Council and an elected Mayor. The Council is vested with a broad range of policy-making powers.
Services provided by the Town of Somerset to the residents include:
- Code Enforcement
- Leaf Collection
- Parks & Recreational Facilities
- Solid Waste & Recycling Removal
- Snow Removal
- Street Maintenance.
The Town currently employs four (4) full-time employees, who are responsible for the day-to-day administration of the Town services. Currently the town employs:
1) Town Manager;
2) Town Administrator; and
3) Two (2) maintenance staff works, who provide landscaping and other maintenance assistance.
The Town Charter and Code are available online at:
Town of Somerset, MD Table of Contents (ecode360.com)
The selected candidate will be expected to familiarize themselves with the Town Code, and will be primarily responsible for the enforcement of and compliance with codes and laws administered by the Town of Somerset. The Code Enforcement Officer provides enforcement expertise to the Mayor, Town Manager, Town Council, staff and Town contractors, and residents.
Examples of Work:
· Develops procedures for, directs, and coordinates the work of all Town staff and contractors involved in building plan review, permitting, inspection and enforcement processes to provide the highest level of customer service in a predictable and efficient manner while ensuring compliance with Town and County building regulations.
- Reviews building permit applications for compliance with Town Code regulations. Reviews plans and reports from Town contractors for conformance with town building, stormwater management, and tree protection regulations.
- Processes building permit applications for signature by the Mayor and Town Manager. Prepares public notices and staff reports for building applications and variances.
- Provides technical advice and assistance to the Town Council, Town Manager, Town Mayor, Town Attorney, residents, builders, architects, and engineers on permitting and code enforcement matters.
- Applies building codes. Consults with Montgomery County zoning and water resource officials, as needed, to ensure consistent interpretation of building regulations between the Town and the County.
- Prepares and presents recommendations for changes in regulations, permitting standards, inspection, and enforcement standards to Town Committees and the Town Council. Raise issues to the Council for resolution.
- Processes tree removal permits. Coordinates appeal requests for denied tree removal permits.
- Performs regular Town-wide code enforcement checks, including those related to active building sites, parking, and traffic compliance. Issues municipal infractions and fines as necessary. Develops plans for remediation of violations.
- Develops procedures for and performs and/or participates in inspections of buildings and building sites for compliance with Town requirements. Acts on code violations in an appropriate and timely manner, issuing written or verbal warnings or citations. Develops plans for remediation of violations.
· Responds to resident complaints about building sites, utility work, and water drainage problems.
- Coordinates site inspections and enforcement with County building and sediment control inspectors. Reports violations to, and works with, the Montgomery County Department of Housing to address non-construction code violations.
- Manages the Town’s street and sidewalk repair program, including developing an inventory of street and sidewalk work to be completed each year. Evaluates street and sidewalk repairs and drainage improvements requested by residents for repair. Informs residents of upcoming work that may impact their homes. Coordinates the inspection of/inspects the concrete and asphalt work for compliance with industry standards.
- Responds to resident calls and complaints about street, sidewalk, and utility repairs. Works with residents, utility companies, and Town contractors to repair damage to the public right-of-way resulting from public works projects.
- Contacts utility companies on behalf of Town residents to request utility repairs. Reviews and processes permits for utility work.
- Oversees utility contractors working in the Town right-of-way.
- Works with the Town’s consulting traffic engineer to evaluate and respond to traffic and parking complaints related to visibility, signage, and pedestrian safety complaints.
- Manages special projects, including traffic consulting and street master plan contracts, as assigned by the Town Manager.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- High School Diploma, vocational school, General Education Degree (GED) or equivalent required. Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration or related field preferred.
- Experience in building code enforcement, permitting and inspection type functions.
- Preference may be given for closely related work experience at local government or municipality level.
- Administrative and supervisory experience in the enforcement of ordinances and regulations pertaining to building.
- Knowledge of regulatory and permitting processes in construction and development.
- General knowledge of all construction trades.
- Knowledge of all approving agencies and ordinances as they relate to permit approvals, with ability to effectively review, interpret and apply new regulations as they affect the Town of Somerset.
- Ability to effectively instruct and supervise field inspection staff responsible for code enforcement.
- Vehicle Operator’s license.
- Strong and effective written and spoken (English) communication skills, including public speaking skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with representatives from Montgomery County’s Department of Permitting Services the Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission (MNCPPC), public officials, contractors, co-workers and the general public.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Town of Somerset seeks qualified candidates for all open positions. The Town of Somerset does no discriminate against employees or applicants for employment based upon race, creed, religion, sex, martial status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, gender identity, genetic status, family responsibilities, or any other characteristic protected by law. The Town will make a reasonable effort to ensure that all applicants and employees will receive equal opportunity in personnel matters, including recruiting, selection, training, placement, promotion, wages and benefits, transfers, terminations, and working conditions.
The Town is committed to full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and applicable State and local laws. Accordingly, reasonable accommodation is available to any employee with a disability qualified for coverage under the ADA.
Armed service veterans are encouraged to apply.
Salary & Benefits
Employment with the Town is at-will and for no definite duration.
Salary is negotiable. Expected salary for this position is expected to be in the $50,000 – 60,000 range. The Town of Somerset also provides a generous benefit package, including:
- Retirement plan: 8% Town contribution to 401 retirement account through MissionSquare Retirement;
- 11 holidays (Federal holidays minus Columbus Day, but addition of Wednesday prior to Thanksgiving;
- Up to 192 hours of annual combined sick/vacation/personal leave;
- Dental and Medical Insurance;
- Use of Town facilities, including swimming pool and tennis courts.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter.
Town Of Somerset
4510 Cumberland AvenueChevy Chase, MD
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?