Provides oversight and innovative leadership in planning, implementing, and evaluating the BSN program and its faculty. As a member of the College's leadership team, the core chair collaborates closely with the campus dean and the rest of the leadership team on policy making, planning, implementation, and evaluation of the campus's activities and assists in ensuring that the College's vision, mission, and values are foundational elements in guiding decision-making and actions
- Responsible for monitoring and evaluating direct reports, including but not limited to, the nursing faculty, clinical coordinator, and director of simulation.
- Ensures compliance of nursing program with State Board of Nursing requirements. Prepares and completes annual and required reports and data for the Board. Notifies the Board of any substantial changes as outlined by the rules and regulations of the State of.
- Represents the nursing program at meetings of appropriate bodies, including the Board of Nursing.
- Develops program information for relevant College publications, including the catalog, admissions brochure, course description book, and course requirements book.
- Submits information for preparation of the annual operating and capital budget.
- Provides leadership to the faculty in preparation for the accreditation self-study.
- Prepares and maintains statistics related to program outcomes.
- Maintains records relevant to the program.
- Assumes duties as assigned by the campus dean.
- Supervises the clinical coordinator position and is accountable for clinical coordination in accordance with the clinical scheduling practice, state consortium, and Board of Nursing.
- Collaborates with the clinical coordinator, faculty, and facilities in evaluating the appropriateness of clinical facilities and curricular experiences.
- Ensures a sufficient supply of direct patient care hours necessary to deliver the nursing curriculum.
- Monitors students' compliance with health regulations and serves as liaison to the Board of Health (as needed) in conjunction with the clinical coordinator.
- Oversees the Health and Safety Orientation for students about to progress to the Core.
Full-Time and Adjunct Faculty
- Is responsible for the appointment, retention, and promotion of faculty.
- Manages the hiring process with interviews, teaching presentations, and reference checks.
- Coordinates the orientation and onboarding process of new FT/PT nursing faculty.
- Includes computer and IT training
- ATI training and education
- Guides faculty on academic issues in the development of various ATI methodologies regarding classroom instruction.
- Develops faculty workload schedules, ensuring that full-time faculty are scheduled 36 credit hours annually.
- Makes assignments for adjunct clinical faculty.
- Ensures each nursing student has a faculty advisor.
- Works with faculty to ensure appropriate delivery of content/concepts and sequencing based on student performance on standardized exams.
- Resolves conflicts effectively.
- Ensures appropriate and meaningful faculty development and mentoring resources for individual faculty and the faculty as a whole to move program outcomes and grow faculty.
- Prepares and manages the Core Nursing Orientation for Level 5 students.
- Provides advisement for students; resolves student problems.
- Coordinates activities related to student admission, retention, progression, and graduation.
- Works with the campus dean to ensure all areas of the student experience align with outcomes and mission to obtain the highest levels of student achievement and satisfaction.
- Serves as liaison to ATI for scheduling of Live reviews and services.
- Works with ATI and faculty to assess course outcomes and teaching strategies using ATI data.
- Facilitates textbook and media selection process.
- Works with the BSN program manager, ensuring that the appropriate textbook ordering has been made by the deadline and that students receive their textbooks for the courses in which they enroll.
- Reviews and addresses findings for end-of-course evaluations.
- Collaborates with the general education chair to ensure appropriate alignment of the liberal arts and nursing curricula, facilitate joint in-service offerings, hold regular joint meetings, and provide updates for each department at least quarterly.
- Recommends the purchase of supplies and equipment for support of the nursing program.
- Works collaboratively with the director of simulation to ensure the labs are properly maintained and meet standards regarding level and type of equipment.
- Chairs monthly meetings of the nursing faculty.
- Serves as an ex-officio member of all nursing program committees
- Serves on these committees:
- Systematic Evaluation Plan (SEP) Committee
- BSN Curriculum Committee
- Community Advisory Council
- Academic Affairs Committee
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Doctorate required with a Master's degree in Nursing
- Five years' combined teaching experience and experience in curriculum development and administration
- Current State Nursing license