Marketing Communications & Brand Strategy Director
Come join the Tillamook Team where our philosophy is “Dairy Done Right.” As an independent farmer-owned cooperative, we have been guided by good, honest values since 1909. We believe in putting quality over profit, natural over artificial, and that hard work can never be outsmarted. We’re taking a stand for real food, because everyone deserves better.
What does real food mean to you? Is your favorite dish a cheesy casserole? Perhaps a decadent and indulgent ice cream? Either way, your identification with food is important to us. People who fit well here at Tillamook have a commitment to quality in everything they do. Our team members understand our vision, contribute to our mission, thrive on innovative thinking, hard work and good, honest values.
Our team members understand our vision, contribute to our mission, thrive on innovative thinking, hard work and good, honest values. We live by these shared values: We are Good Stewards, We believe in Uncompromising Quality, We work as One Team, We Play to Win, and We Genuinely Care for each other.
What you will do:
As a critical leader of the marketing team, the Marketing Communications and Brand Strategy Director is responsible for spearheading annual brand planning and marketing communications briefs to ensure Tillamook retains its challenger brand status to fuel future growth. They will work closely with our category insights and product management teams as key partners in developing overarching plans and key strategies. This role will have significant budgetary and annual business goal achievement accountability and will be responsible for the implementation of annual business strategies via the marketing brief. They will work closely with the Integrated Marketing Director to help craft and support cross-functional consumer activation plans and programs in support of the overall brief. They will lead two key agency relationships, from creative platform development all the way through media strategy development and execution. This role will also provide planning, financial, and innovative leadership to two direct reports and other business units to ensure the achievement of the company’s mission and its annual business and operating plans.
The Brand Communications Director will be a well-balanced leader, adept at driving results through collaboration, as this position will work closely with the larger marketing team to oversee, integrate, and measure marketing campaigns and strategies as well as collaborating with various dairy category managers/directors, sales, R&D, finance, and external agency teams to achieve high-level business results. At the end of the day, this position ensures the marketing team breaks through in the marketplace through thoughtful, impactful, innovative creative platforms, multi-media marketing strategies and consumer-relevant product storytelling excellence.
Here’s a day in the life:
- Directs all budgeting, planning, strategy, creative, production, execution, and integration of the following marketing channels:
- Advertising creative and media, including traditional (i.e. Broadcast TV, Print, OOH, etc.) and Digital (i.e. Digital TV, Paid Video, Paid Display, SEM, Paid Social, etc.)
- Indirectly Influences:
- Social Media
- Influencers & Partnerships (i.e. Bloggers, Chefs, Partner Brands, Media, etc.
- Helps lead efforts to build an annual brand plan and Design Muse with VP of Marketing, Category Management, and Insights. Helps ensure we are ahead of Marketing Innovation trends to ensure our challenger status and relevance with the consumer through product innovation and marketing communication touchpoints.
- Oversee complex work streams with brand teams, category management, channel marketing teams, and senior leadership to inform the annual planning process and marketing strategies:
- Develops an overarching Marketing Communications strategy that supports all category marketing plans include appropriate integration with other designated category marketing plans (i.e. Cheese category plans work in concert with Ice Cream, Yogurt, Spreads, etc.)
- Works closely with Marketing integration Director to brief cross-functional channel owners such as:
- Shopper Marketing Director to ensure that marketing plans include appropriate integration of all Shopper and Customer Marketing efforts.
- Brand Design Director and Corporate Communications Manager to ensure that all appropriate brand communications info is included in design and corporate communication programs/projects. Likewise, ensure that all appropriate design and corporate communications info is included in brand communications efforts.
- Develop strong everyday working relationships with Product Category Management, Sales, Finance, and Strategic Planning teams. This includes appropriate immersion into all category business plans, sales strategies, company financial reports, and stewardship programs. This will also require appropriate understanding of key manufacturing and R&D operations.
- Own proactive communication with the internal marketing team and cross-functional groups, championing our marketing efforts and the overall Tillamook brand.
- Act as a role model by being highly engaged and an active participant during leadership and team meetings. Attend, present at, and lead cross-functional meetings to increase collaboration, foster positive relationships, and improve communication.
- Oversee the collaborative planning process, contracts, outputs, direct relationships and cross-agency integration of all Creative and Media to maximize partner efficiency and effectiveness.
- Works closely with VP of marketing on General contributions that include overseeing the implementation of annual business strategies and supporting operational plans and programs; defining and prioritizing people, financial information and other resource allocations for annual initiatives; and, achieving financial plans/budgets and other specified programmatic or operational results; working directly with VP Marketing in development of overall marketing strategies, marketing reports, cross-departmental planning, and overall business strategic planning, researching and evaluating emerging opportunities, and other marketing-related tasks. Operates as an independent leader with significant accountability for results which have a demonstrated impact on the company.
- Job Knowledge, Skills, Abilities include:
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with employees, supervisors and the general public; act as a team player while collaborating with diverse skillsets across multiple departments.
- Leadership and passion for strategic planning, evolving processes, team building, and continuously improving skillsets.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including listening skills.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy.
- Knowledge of conflict resolution best practices and keen ability to creatively problem-solve.
- Work under pressure, meet deadlines and be flexible in working on multiple projects simultaneously with little supervision.
- Overall comfort with computer systems is a must, including advanced skills in Microsoft programs including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Knowledge of Google Analytics, CRMs, Sharepoint, etc. is a plus.
- Occasional night or weekend work. Occasional travel every 1-2 months
Skills you’ll need:
Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or related field. MBA a plus.
7+ years of marketing experience with strong media strategy and creative development acumen. 4+ years of leadership and management. 2-3 years working in or with agencies/ environment; experience in food marketing is a plus.
Industry leading benefit and reward programs:
We offer outstanding benefits to our employees. For more information, please visit the careers page: www.tillamook.com/careers.
We are committed to creating a diverse culture and inclusive conditions where all employees are heard, valued and feel a sense of belonging. We rely on different perspectives, thoughts, backgrounds and cultures to inform our work, to help us be better as a brand and as an employer and to fuel our success. We are seeking talent from a wide range of diversity, perspectives and backgrounds to join our exceptional organization and help us build our future.
Tillamook County Creamery Association (TCCA) is a Drug-Free Workplace. EEO/AA