The Assistant Controller is responsible for general ledger activity, account reconciliations, cash receipts processing, accruals, preliminary monthly accounting closing, and preparations for the year-end audit. This position supervises the accounts payable and accounts receivable specialists and accountants managing the team to ensure work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner. The Assistant Controller reports to the Controller and assists with establishing and enforcing proper accounting methods, controls, policies and principles. The Assistant Controller will have contact with senior-level managers and Company executives requiring strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Oversees the daily accounts receivable and accounts payable activities required to maintain the general ledger.
2. Supervises, directs, and reviews the work of the accounting staff (including, but not limited to, cash reconciliations, check runs, accounts receivable transactions, payroll transactions, accounts payable transactions, recording of revenue and expenses, etc.).
3. Maintains organized set of detailed records and files to document financial transactions.
4. Reviews general ledger on a monthly basis to ensure accuracy of posting.
5. Coordinates monthly, quarterly, and annual closing activities.
- Obtains and maintains a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Ensures an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close.
- Monitor accounting group progress to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Collaborates with the other accounting department members to support overall department goals and objectives.
- Advises staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Responds to inquiries from senior finance and firm wide managers regarding financial results, special reporting requests and the like.
- Works to ensure a clean and timely year-end audit.
- Supports accounting staff with special projects and workflow process improvements.
- Assists in development and implementation of new procedures, controls and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Provides training to new and existing staff, as needed.
- Works with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and advise on the progress to enhance the professional development of staff.
17. Recommends and implements improvements to accounting processes and procedures.
- Updates Weekly Cash Flow Forecast spreadsheet for prior week’s actual cash activities.
- Assists with franchisee compliance activities such as Desk Audits and collections.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Sound understanding of U.S. GAAP
- Detail Oriented
- Positive attitude
- Exceptional Great Plains software & Microsoft Excel skills
- Strong communication skills.
This position is directly responsible for supervising the Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable positions within the department.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position and the days and hours of work are Monday through Friday between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. On occasion evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Travel, if any, is expected to be infrequent and limited for this position.
Required Education and Experience
1. BA/BS in Business with an emphasis in Accounting.
2. Five to seven years prior supervisory experience in the financial reporting/general ledger area.
3. CPA and/or MBA is preferred but not required
4. Must be PC proficient and have strong experience with Microsoft Excel and Word.
5. Great Plains Dynamics experience, a plus.
6. Experience with International (multi-currency), Consolidations and M&A, a plus
7. Strong interpersonal, supervisory and customer service skills required.
8. Good verbal and written communication skills.
9. Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and able to meet deadlines required.