Accounting Manager is responsible for performing highly specialized accounting work required to maintain the general ledger and assist in the financial duties for a multi-program government funded agency. Working under the direction of the Senior Director of Accounting, the Accounting Manger directs and coordinates the daily activities of the accounting staff to quickly and accurately record the revenues, expenditures, assets, and liabilities of the agency. The incumbent should be a highly motivated self-starter with management and nonprofit state and federal fund accounting experience. The incumbent is also responsible for preparing annual financial statements and coordinating the agency’s annual audit.
- Supervises, directs, and reviews the work of the accounting staff (including, but not limited to, fixed asset activity, payroll, accounts payable transactions, recording of revenue and expenses, interfund account reconciliations etc.).
- Participate in the development of annual Finance Department goals in alignment with agency and Finance Department strategic goals.
- Participate in weekly Finance Staff meeting and in the development of weekly goals.
- Prepare weekly status sheet on completion of weekly goals, on-going projects, and accomplishments.
- Contribute to the development of Finance service improvements to all agency employees, funders, subcontractors, and subrecipients.
- Develop cooperative cross-departmental relationships.
- Participate in planning for continual improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness of the Finance team, as well as provide individuals with professional and personal growth with emphasis or opportunities (where possible) of individuals.
- Remain current on Federal and State funding reporting and billing requirements, emerging GAAP issues and reporting requirements, as well as internal revenue code compliance requirements.
- Develop management dashboards and reports to assist managers in evaluating programs.
- Meet deadlines associated with assigned tasks and month-end close.
- Develop and implement formalized policies and procedures.
- Coordinate monthly close process and ensure all tasks are completed by deadlines.
- Review FF&E and IT expense accounts and capitalize expenditures in accordance with capitalization policy.
- Prepare monthly depreciation journal entries and Fixed Asset accounts reconciliation.
- Review and approve monthly prepaid expenses.
- Approve expense accruals and revenue receivables.
- Approve adjusting and recurring journal entries.
- Assist in preparation of appropriations and prepare interfund eliminating entries.
- Reconcile inter-fund accounts and make corrections or adjustments.
- Run preliminary monthly Statement of Revenue and Expense reports for each fund and analyze budget variances, and contact Program Managers regarding questions.
- Prepare Statements of revenue and expense, including variance analysis, and submit to Finance Director for review.
- Prepare final monthly Actual vs. Budget Statement of Revenue and Expense reports for each fund, and provide to Program Managers and Managing Directors.
- Respond to questions from Program Managers regarding fund reports.
- Approve monthly balance sheet reconciliations.
- Prepare Daily Cash Analysis Report including bank balances, payments pending, outstanding checks, payroll, benefits payments, Restricted vs. Unrestricted Funds balances.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations.
- Assist in preparation of annual budget templates to be distributed to program managers and Managing Directors for each fund.
- Assist in preparation of annual budgets for each fund, including worst, expected, and best case scenarios.
- Assist program Directors with fund budget revisions as needed.
- Assist in preparation of twelve-month rolling cash forecast.
- Review work of Payroll Clerk and Senior Accountant to ensure accurate and timely payroll submission and general ledger entry.
- Ensure employees and their time are properly classified in the payroll system and general ledger, in accordance with current budgets and federal and state regulations.
- Approve interfund payroll transfer requests.
- Act as point of contact with state and federal agencies for fiscal monitoring of related programs.
- Prepare CSBG monthly expenditure report.
- Approve billing submitted to Community Organizations, State, and Federal agencies.
- Prepare and submit SF-425 Federal Forms every six months.
- Prepare schedules and compile information and documentation for annual independent audit and preparation of Form 990.
- Approve coding of prepared deposits and deposit in bank.
- Post receipts of automated funds received from federal and state agencies in Accounting System.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Written & Oral Communications
- Intermediate to Advanced Excel skill level
- Fund Accounting
- Accounts Payable
- Accounts Receivable
- Journal Entries
- Account Reconciliations
- Budget Variance Analysis
- Cash Management
- Financial Statements
- Communication Proficiency
- Ethical Conduct
- Performance Management
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Technical Capacity