When you're part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you'll be supported in achieving your career goals.
How will you make an impact?
The Sr. Director of Strategic Portfolio Management will lead the overall portfolio and program management across R&D, business operations, strategic initiatives and capital investments within BioProduction Division. The role will report to the Vice President of Market Development and Strategy, be a visible member of the extended division leadership team, while maintaining responsibility to meet the division objectives as follows:
What will you do?
- Manage development and execution of business strategies and key initiatives to achieve growth, including portfolio prioritization, KPI target achievement, and cross business units alignment
- Drive development and monitor progress of portfolio/program strategy, goals & metrics
- Manage and build a high-performance team of engaged talented and motivated portfolio and project management professionals to successfully manage the following:
Innovation Forum (Product Commercialization Process):
- Partner with Business Unit (BU) leader, product management, R&D and marketing to develop and manage execution of a multi-generation portfolio roadmap and annual plan for bioproduction products, focusing on R&D utilization to maximize impact.
Project and Portfolio Management focused (PPM):
- Lead/Manage long-term projects that require coordination and oversight of resources pre- and post- capital investment approval.
- Ensure projects achieve critical milestones on time and on budget with timely communication between teams and senior management
Lean Six Sigma (LSS)/Practical Process Improvement (PPI) focused:
- Oversee management of LSS and PPI projects for business and operations focusing on achieving KPIs and addressing critical business problems on a timely manner
- Ensure best practices of Program Management are followed across the Division, with the goal of delivering products of high quality and value to the organization within the agreed-upon metrics of schedule, resources, budget and scope.
- Support STRAP process and connection to AOP initiatives for the division through cross-functional collaboration.
- Demonstrate and champion core leadership behaviors. Promote diversity, including experience and thought leadership.
How will you get here?
- Bachelors degree in life science or engineering with PMP or equivalent certification
- 10+ years' experience in successful strategy deployment using PPI, project management, Lean/Six Sigma and other methodologies with 5+ years in program management organization leadership and staff management experience
- Broad knowledge of project management best practices in R&D, engineering and operations
- Strong track record of meeting objectives with a sense of urgency, and driving operational excellence and continuous improvement
- Strong talent management and people development skills
- Ability to collaborate and work across a heavily matrixed environment and can communicate effectively and concisely at all levels
Additional preferred attributes:
- Experience working with R&D portfolio management and CAPEX process and project managements
- Experience with business development and integration efforts
- Comfortable working in ambiguity with attention to detail
- Executive presence; strong presentation and communication skills
- Travel: 25-50% (primarily domestic/US travel)
If you are an individual with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to complete any part of our application process, click here for further assistance.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.