Theo Chocolate is based on a core idea – chocolate can be made in a way that allows everyone in the bean to bar process to thrive. It’s part of why we make our own chocolate, to ensure that everyone involved is treated in a way that we can be proud of and that only the highest quality ingredients and processes are used. The result: delicious, award-winning chocolate. When you taste our chocolate, you will experience our passion and integrity in every luscious bite.
Theo Chocolate is proud to be the first organic, fair trade, bean-to-bar chocolate factory in the United States. It takes a large array of duties and committed people to make great chocolate. Our factory, kitchen, marketing and administrative offices are all located in a historical building in the Fremont district of Seattle, WA.
Currently we have openings for Chocolate Production Operators working week days on first or second shift. We are excited about our current growth pattern and are looking for individuals who possess a strong mechanical aptitude; a strong drive to learn; and share our passion for making amazing chocolate. Apply for this job if you want to join a team that refines the craft of chocolate making every day while creating positive change in the world.
Here are the specifics of the job description and how to apply for this opening.
To perform a variety of processing and packaging functions within the manufacturing plant. Primary duties include independent machine set up, changeover, and operation of semi-automated and automated machines for production of various chocolate products and ingredients. Operators are responsible for maintaining the highest quality of food safety standards, sanitation standards, perform daily audits, follow standard operating procedures and complete daily production paperwork. This position ensures that products meet delivery and quality requirements.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
* Operate processing or packaging equipment as assigned.
* Responsible for independent operation, set up, and changeover of various automatic and semi-automatic machines/equipment, determined by job specifications.
* Observe safety procedures including wearing protective gear when cleaning with chemicals.
* Adhere to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and sanitation standards to ensure the highest quality of food safety and sanitation is achieved. Perform daily audits to ensure compliance.
* Adhere to company and third-party standards for organic, fair trade, food safety, and other product certifications in the production area. Perform daily audits to ensure compliance.
* Keeps assigned machines and surrounding area clean and safe.
* Clean and sanitize lines during changeovers from one product to another.
* Responsible for inspection of conveyors and scales prior to line start-up and changeovers.
* Follow standard operating procedures and complete daily production paperwork (i.e. pre-operation inspections; sanitation calendars; sku reports and batch paperwork).
* Perform various checks that may include metal detector, date code and weight systems checks, with a minimum amount of wasted product and supplies.
* Complete quality checks and associated daily production paperwork.
* Promptly and accurately record production process information in Theo's computer system.
* Perform required daily preventative maintenance and cleaning on machines including general housekeeping of the machine and area.
* Perform basic preventative maintenance on packaging machines, to include cleaning and changing coder ribbons, ink jet ink, tape machines, and rollers.
* Clean, inspect and lubricate equipment as part of our Autonomous Maintenance program.
* Determine optimum machine parameters and targets, understand machine performance indicators, and coordinate issues and improvements with Maintenance department.
* Recognize, communicate, and support improvement potentials and efforts.
* Assists and trains others in job as needed.
* Perform other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
Minimum of one year of experience in industrial manufacturing, or equivalent (noisy, working near machinery with moving parts). Prefer a minimum of two years experience in food manufacturing. Will also consider other candidates who have been successful in process oriented environments. High School diploma/GED. Experience with GMP, HACCP (NSF), Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) and Autonomous Maintenance (AM) is a plus.
Abilities/Skills and Other Requirements:
* Demonstrated commitment to safety
* Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide fractions, decimals and whole numbers
* Demonstrated mechanical aptitude
* Strong attention to detail with a commitment to high quality
* Basic computer skills
* Must be available to work weekends and overtime on occasion
* To be successful, an individual needs to simultaneously handle multiple tasks and duties, operate independently, demonstrate initiative and work to deadlines (sometimes demanding).
This job is primarily performed on the factory floor and in office space in the factory. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to:
* Work near moving mechanical parts
* The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Hearing protection is provided.
* Potential allergens can be: tree nuts, dairy, wheat, particular oils (i.e. mint, orange)
* Personal protective equipment (PPE) is required including but not limited to ear plugs, safety glasses/goggles, bump caps, hair and beard nets, and gloves.
* Fumes or airborne particles
* Ambient temperature in the factory fluctuating from cold storage to hot in production areas.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
* Frequently lift and/or move 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 55 pounds.
* Standing/walking for long periods of time and be able to monitor multiple pieces of equipment at one time.
* Good hand-eye coordination.
Compensation and Benefits
Theo provides competitive pay well over the Seattle minimum wage. Pay is dependent on experience. While we are happy to train less experienced individuals, those with relevant experience can expect to be paid accordingly. Second and third shift also pay an additional hourly shift differential. These full-time positions are eligible for Theo benefits which includes paid time off, paid holidays, 401k with a company match, and an attractive medical, dental and vision insurance program. Our employees pay nothing for their medical insurance coverage – join us! You can also take advantage of paid volunteer time, tuition reimbursement, bus pass discount and plenty of discounted chocolate!
Send us a resume and a brief summary of how you would be a good fit for the job and why you are interested in working for Theo Chocolate. Please follow the application process as outlined by Zip Recruiter.
Theo Chocolate, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Thank you for your interest in Theo Chocolate!