Theo Chocolate is based on a core idea - chocolate can be made in a way that allows everyone in the bean to bar process to thrive. It's part of why we make our own chocolate, to ensure that everyone involved is treated in a way that we can be proud of and that only the highest quality ingredients and processes are used. The result: delicious, award-winning chocolate. When you taste our chocolate, you will experience our passion and integrity in every luscious bite.
Theo Chocolate is proud to be the first organic, fair trade, bean-to-bar chocolate factory in the United States. It takes a large array of duties and committed people to make great chocolate. Our factory, kitchen, marketing and administrative offices are all located in a historical building in the Fremont district of Seattle, WA.
We are looking for an Accounting/Revenue Analyst to join our collaborative team. This position is full-time and is eligible for Theo benefits. The package includes paid time off, paid holidays, and an attractive medical and dental insurance program. Theo covers over 100% of the medical insurance premiums for employees. You can also take advantage of 401(k) retirement plan with a company match, paid volunteer time, bus pass discount, and plenty of discounted great chocolate!
This position is the point person for all revenue accounting and reporting for Theo Chocolate. It is responsible for consistently completing numerous accounting processes, recording transactions, reviewing results and promptly delivering reliable numbers.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Complete the accounting for such activities as invoicing, cash receipts, and trade discounts.
- Monthly accounting and reporting of broker commissions.
- Analysis and reporting of revenues, shipments and costs.
- Reviews, investigates inconsistencies in financial entries, documents and reports.
- Closing the accounts monthly and helping to prepare financial statements. Prepare accruals and reconcile accounts.
- Participating in annual planning and quarterly budgeting exercises and board package preparation.
- Preparing B&O filings (can be learned).
- Preparing summaries of expenses (departmental, budget vs. actual, etc.)
The work is hands-on and detail-oriented. Accuracy is essential. The position is part of a tightly-knit accounting and finance group providing timely, accurate and actionable information to constituencies ranging from operating management, the CEO, the Board of Directors, auditors and governmental entities. Theo is a cooperative, non-competitive, environment. This position is part of a nimble team with all players working together to accomplish a common goal.
Beyond the debits & credits, the position also completes various financial and business analyses. Some of these are well defined, others “ad-hoc.” Theo is a small, innovative company that often tries new ideas. These ideas need to be reviewed through a financial lens, and this position provides support directly to the Controller, CFO and CEO.
· Solid understanding of GAAP and managerial accounting. While Theo’s accounting is straight-forward and does not require highly specialized, technical accounting knowledge, the individual needs to have a firm grasp of core accounting principals.
· Ability to effectively execute accounting practices and procedures to quickly record and process transactions with accuracy.
· Comfort with business systems and software. Candidates should have an excellent grasp of Microsoft Excel including complex analysis employing databases and pivot tables. The position also requires proficiency with the Microsoft Word and Outlook. Candidates should have either experience with MS Dynamics GP, or a demonstrated ability to quickly learn new software.
· Understanding of internal control frameworks and the ability to apply these in a small, fluid company. As a company grows it needs effective controls that support this growth. This position will help with these controls.
· To be successful in this role, an individual needs to simultaneously handle multiple tasks and duties, operate independently, demonstrate initiative and work to deadlines (sometimes demanding). Also, they need to be interested and able to learn new things. Finally, the role requires an individual who can work well with a variety of diverse individuals in a fast-paced environment.
We understand that people travel different paths and acquire skills through different means. Here are some experiences that could bring the needed skills:
Education: Undergraduate degree (BA or BS) in business, accounting or related field.
Professional experience: Experience should demonstrate the needed skills and also the ability to develop new skills and accept new responsibilities. Two or more years work experience in a business enterprise that, ideally, includes manufacturing and distribution of consumer packaged goods. That experience could be in a variety of roles such as financial accounting, costing, auditing, etc. Will consider alternate, relevant experience.
A professional certification (CPA or CMA) is not required for this role. However, Theo would support the individual to obtain such a certificate.
Experience with MS Dynamics GP is a plus.
Likes to eat chocolate ☺ !
Send us a resume and a brief summary of how you would be a good fit for the job and why you are interested in working for Theo Chocolate. The best way to respond is through the online process outlined in this ad.
Theo Chocolate, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Thank you for your interest in Theo Chocolate!