The Accounting Department provides service to The Wills Group, Inc. and its subsidiary corporations. The incumbent reports directly to the Controller in the performance of duties. The incumbent is to be knowledgeable of all general ledger sources and the flow of accounting data.
The essential function of the Senior Staff Accountant is to review and maintain the accuracy of all general ledger accounts relating to all jurisdiction taxes. This position is responsible for preparation of petroleum taxes to multiple states and counties. Preparing sales & use tax returns, personal property tax returns, business license taxes, and real estate tax payments form an integral portion of the responsibilities of this position. In addition, this position also coordinates all external tax audits and renews all licensing and bond requirements. This role also manages recording the Company’s and franchisees’ payroll tax entries on a bi-weekly basis. This position assists with operating statement review, related entries, supporting schedules and reconciliations. An additional key component of the position includes identifying and implementing improvements in key business processes.
We are a $1.5 billion company headquartered in La Plata, Maryland (an easy 45-minute reverse commute from DC) with nearly 300 retail locations across the Mid-Atlantic region, including Dash In, Splash In ECO Car Wash, and SMO Motor Fuels. A family-owned company since 1926, our passion areas are in convenience retailing, fuels marketing, and commercial real estate and we pride ourselves on keeping our customers', employees' and communities’ Lives in Motion.
Why You Should Join Wills Group
Our Wills Group employees come to work for more than just a paycheck, but rather they come to learn, make contributions, make an impact, and feel valued as a part of our family-friendly culture. We have a work-hard, play-hard mentality that makes us a progressive company and we thrive on giving back to our community. That is what is core to our DNA.
Benefits and Perks
Are you interested in flexible working hours, including telework opportunities, free parking, a modern work environment with monthly employee events, collaboration spaces, and café with unlimited soft drinks, coffee, and lattes? Then the Wills Group is just the place for you.
And we take pride in investing in our people’s well-being. That’s why we back our words with competitive total rewards packages.
- Financial Well-being –, employer 401 (k) match (currently at 7%), health savings plan, and financial planning
- Physical Well-being – comprehensive health, vision, and dental plans that meet the needs of our people
- Paid Time Off – Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Community Engagement, Parental Leave for new Dads and Moms
- Education and Development Opportunities – 100% Tuition reimbursement to support our people’s education goals
- Competitive Salary - competitive pay matched to DC Metro area
- Coordinates the preparation of tax returns, examines accounts, and calculates taxes owed according to prescribed rates, laws, and regulations by required deadlines.
- Prepares bi-weekly payroll tax entries for TWGI and franchise payroll
- Contributes to a positive work environment and works with others in the department and the company to foster a team-based approach to problem solving.
- Ensures all expenditures are accurately recorded and reported to control the organization’s budgeted commitments.
- Undertakes a variety of assignments which have clear and specific objectives, requiring knowledge of principles and techniques commonly employed, e.g. – coordinating and providing financial and operating information for compilation of tax returns.
- Coordinates and completes various tax returns by required deadlines.
- Provides financial accounting staff with technical tax advice and assistance in tax matters as necessary.
- Prepares and carries out initial investigations into tax issues.
- Prepares reports and studies for management as requested.
- Corresponds and negotiates with government revenue agencies at a tactical level.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- A Bachelor’s in Accounting or related field
- A minimum of 3 – 5 years of general ledger and accounting experience will be accepted in the absence of an undergraduate degree.
- Strong research and analytical skill essential.
- Advanced expertise in Excel required
- Financial management
- Technical accounting capacity
- Action oriented
- Generally inquisitive by nature
- High level of attention to detail
- Outstanding ability to meet recurring deadlines imposed by taxing authorities
- Strong analytical skillset
- Service and action-oriented mindset
- 3 – 5 years broad-based accounting experience in a retail or corporate environment
The Wills Group
Why Work Here?Headquartered in La Plata, Maryland, The Wills Group has nearly 300 retail locations across the Mid-Atlantic region, including Dash In, Splash In ECO Car Wash, and SMO Motor Fuels. A family-owned company since 1926 with expertise in convenience retailing, fuels marketing, and commercial real estate, The Wills Group prides itself on keeping customers', employees' and communities’ Lives in Motion. For more information about The Wills Group, visit willsgroup.com.
Grow a career you love - great pay, great benefits, great people!