Position Title: Patient Accounts & Access Specialist
Pay: $18 - $19.50 per hour, DOE
Hours/Status: Full time (1.0 FTE), non-exempt
Reports to: CFO
Our patient access specialist (PAS) provides essential support to our patients by assisting with billing and accounts-related questions, sliding fee applications, and insurance verification. The PAS also acts as the clinic’s liaison with our external billing provider, facilitating seamless billing processes and efficient problem solving.
Who We Are
Our mission is to provide an open door to exceptional health services and connections to support individuals and families in healthy living.
Wallace is a Federally Qualified Health Center providing affordable, high quality medical and dental services to underserved communities lacking access to basic healthcare in the Portland/Gresham area. We are a patient-centered care home committed to engaging our patients fully with support and resources to help them achieve better health.
Join Our Team
We offer a welcoming, inclusive workplace that values individual contributions, cultural diversity, and ongoing learning.
Our team collaborates in an open, cooperative, and respectful environment to bring good health to overlooked and underserved individuals and families.
Billing and Patient Access
• Act as the primary contact with OCHIN Billing Services, communicating on a regular and frequent basis
• Perform insurance verification prior to patient visits
• Maintain daily communication with enrollment staff related to patient insurance
• Follow up on patient account-related Epic work queues
• Process patient refunds as needed
• Assist patients with billing and account questions
• Assist patients with sliding fee applications as needed
• Audit sliding fee applications and support for completeness, following up as needed
• Provide front desk coverage as needed
• Review FPL in Epic
Wallace Team Member
• Maintain positive working relationships across the organization as a collaborative and professional member of the team
• Practice exceptional customer service with patients, staff, and all other associates of Wallace
• Maintain strict confidentiality
• Comply with all applicable laws and fully cooperate with the Wallace compliance program
• Perform additional duties as assigned
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
• Bilingual English/Spanish required
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written, verbal, etc.)
• Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
• Ability to independently and efficiently prioritize work
• Solid computer skills or ability to learn new programs and systems
• Experience with OCHIN Epic a plus
The work is performed in a clinical office setting with direct patient interaction. This position requires the ability to communicate in person, by phone, in writing, and electronically, with or without reasonable accommodation.
All staff in patient-facing roles are required to provide documentation of MMR and Hepatitis B immunization (or a medical waiver for each), and to be tested annually for TB. TB tests are provided by Wallace at no cost.
Please submit your resume and cover letter outlining why you are an excellent fit for this role. Applications can be submitted directly on our careers webpage at http://wallacemedical.org/about-us/work-with-us/, or on any job board this announcement is posted on.
Note: Applications must include a cover letter for consideration.
The Wallace Medical Concern is an inclusive organization that values diversity. Those with experience working alongside culturally specific communities, marginalized groups, and applicants with lived experience around issues of poverty are all encouraged to apply.