Director of Compliance
The Tides Roseland, NJ
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Tides is a group of 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations committed to building a world of shared prosperity and social justice. Founded in 1976, Tides’ accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve the world’s toughest problems. Tides focuses on equality and human rights, a sustainable environment, healthy individuals and communities, education and economic development. Tides’ services include donor-advised funds, fiscal sponsorship, and shared spaces in San Francisco and New York City. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
The Tides Legal, Risk, & Compliance (LRC) team is seeking a Director of Compliance. The LRC team is wholly and passionately dedicated to creating accessible, relevant, and inclusive tools that advance Tides’ mission and reduce and manage the legal and compliance risks applicable to Tides’ operations.
The Director will be the first to serve in this newly minted role that has been created in response to the significant growth Tides has experienced and the fantastic opportunities ahead of us. Reporting to the Chief Legal and Ethics Officer, the Director will work with cross-departmental leaders and decision makers to identify internal and external compliance trends, effectively surface compliance issues, provide leadership and thought partnership on emerging compliance projects and initiatives, and provide guidance and recommendations to the executive team.
This role presents an exciting and impactful opportunity for a thriving compliance professional to build, innovate, and lead a new compliance strategy and framework for Tides and its incredible partners.
Working at Tides connects you with world-class teammates, enduring relationships, and an inspired sense of purpose—while our employee benefits support our team's talent and well-being. This is an exciting time to join Tides. In the past, Tides staff have worked predominantly from our offices in San Francisco and New York. Today, our hybrid work model supports staff with remote work from anywhere in the United States. We will be reopening our offices in the future, date to be determined.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that compliance activities across the organization meet and exceed all regulatory requirements; periodically report to executive staff regarding the effectiveness of compliance programs.
- Recognize the key issues that applicable laws and regulations create for Tides’ operations, support the proactive design and development of a system of internal controls to support strong advancement of Tides’ mission, and ensure implementation of appropriate compliance control programs.
- Monitor organizational developments to anticipate compliance issues and ensure integration of compliance considerations and controls in planning processes.
- Create and/or ensure the development and delivery of compliance training programs and the maintenance of compliance materials throughout the organization, including for Tides’ fiscally sponsored projects and as needed, other partners; communicate compliance complexities in a form that supports understanding by Tides’ management, staff and partners.
- In partnership with the Legal Director, develop and coordinate strategies for responding to and supporting government inquiries, investigations, subpoenas, IRS and internal examinations and other significant points of contact regarding major compliance issues to ensure that Tides fulfills it commitments as a public charity and to its mission-aligned partners.
- Manage LRC’s participation in annual 990 review; audit, review and suggest process improvements to support efficient and effective reporting.
- Ensure effective implementation of annual risk assessment process and insurance renewal; integrate findings and learnings into annual and long-term compliance goals.
- Continue individual continuing education and monitor risk and compliance trends to ensure that Tides remains compliant with respect to changing areas of the law.
- Manage compliance staff and grow individual members of the compliance team by continuing professional development and supporting well-being, identify opportunities for team members and compliance managers throughout the organization to build skills and knowledge that contribute to their successful performance.
- Working knowledge of compliance laws, regulations and best practices relating to tax exempt organizations, including in the areas of 501(c)(3) tax law, corporate governance, grants management, ethics and gift rules, lobbying and advocacy, anti-fraud internal controls, FARA, OFAC, FCPA, AML and unrelated business income.
- 8+ years’ experience the areas of compliance with general corporate, tax, and/or nonprofit law and regulation.
- Proven experience developing and implementing effective process solutions to compliance challenges.
- Demonstrated experienced with long-term planning and strategy.
- Ability to foster a collaborative and inclusive environment, while advancing and achieving buy-in for implementation of new policies and procedures.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with demonstrated ability to make compliance processes accessible.
- Appreciation and understanding of Tides’ vision, mission, approach.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we are looking forward to reviewing applications for all who are qualified to apply.Equal Employment Opportunity
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.
BusinessView all jobs at The Tides