Content Development Specialist
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Content Development Specialist
Part-Time, Temporary, Non-Exempt
The Tech Interactive
San Jose, CA
About The Tech:
The Tech Interactive is a family-friendly science and technology center in the heart of downtown San Jose. It was formerly known as The Tech Museum of Innovation. Our hands-on activities, experimental labs and design challenge experiences empower people to innovate with creativity, curiosity and compassion. The Tech is a world leader in the creation of immersive STEAM education resources to develop the next generation of problem-solvers locally, nationally and globally. We believe that everyone is born an innovator who can change the world for the better.
In 2015 The Tech was awarded the National Medal for Museum and Library Service, the highest honor a United States museum, science center or cultural institution can achieve. We are driven by our mission: to inspire the innovator in everyone.
In addition to an in-person science center, The Tech Interactive provides online resources, lesson plans and professional development to support educators in developing the next generation of problem solvers.
The position’s overall responsibility is the development of activities and lessons for teachers, with a focus on biology in 7th and 9th grade. The position will work closely with a small team of developers to adapt existing college materials for a younger audience. The existing materials pair an innovative virtual reality program with laboratory application. Data collected in the virtual reality experience is applied in collaborative activities with peers. This position focuses on developing the materials for these labs (including written lesson plans, student assets, data summaries, and associated reference resources). Through these labs students will discuss observations, analyze data, discover patterns and test hypotheses.
The Content Development Specialist position is a temporary part-time, non-exempt (hourly) position reporting to the Content Development Manager. There may be flexibility for remote work from locations within the state of California. Some occasional travel is required. The estimated timeline for this position is February through August 2023.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop and refine lessons, activities and other resources for life science/biology educators working with 7th and 9th grade students. This includes:
- Support scoping and sequencing of three Modules for a 7th/9th grade adaptation of a college level biology course.
- Advise on standards alignment.
- Write two modules (approximately 6 lesson plans and any supporting materials).
- Editorial support for the third module.
- Collaborate with the internal project team and outside partners on the creation and adaptation of these educational resources, including incorporating testing feedback from educators.
- Advise The Tech on specific ways to present these tools and incorporate them into professional development (online or in person) for educators at schools, school districts and other youth serving organizations locally, nationally and internationally.
- Limited travel 3-4 times over the course of the contract. Estimated 2-3 days onsite in Arizona. Each trip will be to observe testing and experience the virtual reality portion of the curriculum.
- Participate in meetings for project tracking and content collaboration.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 3 years of experience developing educational materials for educators 6th-12th grade in biology/science. Potential focus areas include: cell biology, genetics, evolution, ecology, physiology, bioinformatics, data science.
- Prior experience in the design, training, and delivery of educational experiences with biology/science content. Excellent writing skills and experience developing written lesson plans published online, in print, for use by other educators. (Samples will be requested upon application.)
- Proven ability to design and align curriculum and assessment materials with education standards and student-centered methods, especially NGSS and common core.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, science, math or other relevant field or equivalent experience.
- Experience teaching in school, afterschool or science setting is preferred. Diverse student populations, grades 6-12.
- Experience with project-based learning and STEM lesson development preferred.
- Ability to advocate for The Tech’s Mission and its education pedagogy.
- Energetic, dynamic and creative individual who welcomes challenges and enjoys variety in their daily work functions.
- Has a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and is able to demonstrate The Tech’s values.
Salary Range: $38 to $40 per hour
Please submit a sample of a lesson, activity, curriculum or educational resource you have written. You may attach this to your application.
Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility (IDEA) at The Tech
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including but not limited to those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or nonconforming, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
The Tech will provide an equal opportunity in recruitment and employment to all individuals and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, legally protected medical condition, military or veteran status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Any applicant with a disability may contact The Tech Interactive to arrange for accommodations. Please contact the Tech at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (408) 795 -6168.
Note that The Tech requires candidates to complete a background check prior to hire and to comply with its current COVID vaccination requirements. This includes the initial series and first booster when eligible. The Tech follows all regulations regarding this policy and will evaluate all medical or religious accommodation requests.
The Tech Interactive
AddressSan Jose, CA
Arts and Entertainment
Get fresh Content Development Specialist jobs daily straight to your inbox!