Creative Director, Content Studio
- Posted: over a month ago
The Seattle Times, one of the few independently owned media companies in the country, is on the forefront of media reinvention. We have a 126-year history, have won 11 Pulitzer Prizes, and reach more Northwest adults than any other news media in Seattle, across more channels than ever including print, website, app, email, social, and podcast. Our initiatives around community funded journalism and subscriber engagement have been models for the industry, and our Advertising team is a leader in diversified business models, including best-in-class marketing services for businesses.
The Seattle Times Advertising team is seeking a Creative Director to lead Seattle Times Content Studio, the in-house creative agency of The Seattle Times. This role is key leader on our team, that sets and executes the vision for revenue growth through branded and sponsored content, video production services, and special initiatives that grow revenue through content, including our newest initiative, The Ticket.
The ideal candidate for this role will be experienced in editorial-style storytelling across multiple formats including article, video, infographics, social posting, events and more, with a uniquely Pacific Northwest perspective. This person will be comfortable on client calls, ideating and pitching concepts that resonate with their target audience, basing recommendations on both research and data, plus intuition and creativity. The successful candidate thrives in an entrepreneurial and deadline-driven environment, and will be flexible, energetic, driven, and uphold high standards of quality, reflective of The Seattle Times brand.
- Is the strategic leader of the Seattle Times Content Studio line of business for The Seattle Times, including branded content, agency creative services, and advertising-led content initiatives on and off platform.
- Helps drive our Branded Content and creative services revenue by proactively ideating concepts to pitch to current and prospective clients, in partnership with our Sales team. Creative concepts can be in relation to Seattle Times products and brands or leverage our journalistic expertise for off-site use by brands.
- Presents content ideas and concepts to clients, through creative briefs, specs, story boards, or other methods. Can pivot to collaborate and brainstorm with clients with minimal notice.
- Directs the execution of those concepts working cross-departmentally with in-house writers, editors, art directors, graphic designers and project managers, as well as with external vendors and freelancers.
- Directly manages a team of five, guiding their work, developing their skills, and ensuring collaboration with each other, and with outside teams and freelancers.
- Ensures the execution of creative concepts meet the goals of our clients and the standards of our company.
- Meets revenue and profitability targets for all content studio projects.
- Oversees the strategy and execution of advertising-supported content initiatives, including The Ticket, a calendaring and event subdomain of theseattletimes.com, managed by ST Content Studio.
- Directs large commercial and editorial video projects, and oversees an in-house video producer for smaller budget projects.
- Serves as an Advertising department leader, setting strategy for revenue growth and meeting budget expectations.
- Works closely with our Agency Services Director and team to create effective content for our agency clients in various digital platforms including Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Search, client site and more. Ensures content strategy connects with graphic design strategies for clients when applicable.
- Works closely with our Director of Development, Newsroom, and Advertising leaders to create effective sponsorships of Seattle Times content where goals and brands are aligned.
- Is an expert in Digital Marketing, staying on top of trends on creative services and content marketing, ensuring we can tell stories across new and emerging platforms.
- Experience: 10+ years in advertising creative, with video and editorial experience strongly preferred.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree, preferably in advertising, design or related fields
- Portfolio required, preferably demonstrating strong conceptual multi-faceted campaign work for a varied range of clients
- Creative agency and media experience preferred
- Ability to design in the Adobe CS suite
- An articulate communicator, both verbally, and in writing
- Experienced at presenting creative concepts internally and to clients, both verbally and with supporting materials
- Is enthusiastic, personable and professional, with excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Has a strong understanding of various digital platforms, with an emphasis on social platforms and content marketing. Experience overseeing and/or managing events and sponsorships a plus.
- An enthusiastic team player who can work collaboratively and cohesively with clients and internal teams and departments.
- Exceptional attention to detail
- A proactive problem-solver that is flexible and nimble
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced, sometimes ambiguous environment
- Ability to think both strategically and creatively
- An entrepreneurial spirit that is energetic, positive and resourceful
The base salary range for this position is $77,700 to $106,800. We typically pay between $77,700 and $97,000, depending on experience and qualifications. Additional earnings include at-target incentive-based pay of $3,000 per month.
- Medical, dental, and long-term disability insurance
- Employee assistance program and wellness bank
- Optional life and AD&D and long-term care insurance
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- 2 weeks of vacation per year, increasing to 4 weeks after 4 years
- 10 days of sick pay per year, unused sick pay accrues to extended illness bank
- 9 paid holidays
- Internet stipend for mostly remote employees
- Transit subsidy
- Complementary Seattle Times subscription
- Parental leave up to 6 months
Please note: This position requires a criminal background check after an offer is made.
Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times continues its tradition as a family-owned, Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper that cuts through the clutter and provides readers with timely, relevant news. We serve the Pacific Northwest with thoughtful, independent journalism that makes a real difference in our community. And as a media solutions company, we combine cutting-edge digital capabilities and service with the values and integrity of respected traditional media… with an established audience of 2.1 million. At The Seattle Times, you'll find work that matters.
If you need assistance to accommodate a disability, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide a description of the reasonable accommodation(s) needed.
Powered by JazzHR
The Seattle Times
Arts and EntertainmentView all jobs at The Seattle Times
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?