Assist the Store Manager in the day to day operation of the Thrift Store by sorting donated material as it is received and by cashiering. This is a part time regular position with a workweek expectation of 28 hours per week.
Maintain positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters and maintains positive relationships with co-workers and supervisors. This would include but not be limited to such actions: resolution of conflicts in a positive manner; courteous treatment of staff, clients and visitors; respect of others’ property and person, professional and appropriate communication to and about co-workers, supervisors and subordinates. Support the Mission of The Salvation Army by treating every donor, contact and colleague with respect and dignity, and without discrimination of any kind.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Sort satisfactory amounts of donated clothing and other merchandise as it is received
• Operate electronic cash register
• Be accurate with all transactions and provide customer with appropriate change/receipt
• Assist with stocking sales area of the store with clothing and other merchandise to attract customers and increase sales
• Prevent liability issues by assisting with housekeeping and other chores to maintain the store in a clean, neat, safe and orderly manner
• Maintain clean and orderly checkout area
• Take appointments for pick-up service over the telephone
• Process client welfare vouchers Mondays and Thursdays
• Always greet customers when entering and exiting the store
• Be approachable in order to assist customers to find what they looking for
• Be knowledgeable of store policies regarding returns, vouchers, etc. and maintain consistency at all times when working with one customer to the next
• Service customers in a timely manner – request back up as needed
• Assist all customers in a polite and professional manner
• Assist with the unloading of customer vehicles as needed
• Prepare bank slip for cash deposits daily when needed
• Have frequent interaction with all store personnel
• Client confidentiality and personal privacy are maintained at all times
• Other duties as assigned
Workers must report suspected or observed misconduct by other workers to the program leader or officer/administrator immediately.
High School Diploma or GED required. Must be personable, trustworthy and able to work with a wide range of customers and staff, sometimes under demanding conditions. Must be able to multitask, able to lift and move items constantly during work shift, prior customer service experience and operation of a cash register preferred. Must be a team player and able to work independently. Must be able to accurately record sales transactions, receive and accurately record and process payments. Must pass The Salvation Army’s background check and be willing to support the mission of The Salvation Army. It must be understood by the incumbent that the provisions of Safe From Harm will apply upon commencement of employment and also understood that the required Safe From Harm training be satisfactorily completed within the first ninety (30) days of employment.