Senior Social Media Manager
PLOS is a nonprofit, Open Access publisher empowering researchers to accelerate progress in science and medicine by leading a transformation in research communication. Since its inception, PLOS has helped break new ground for Open Science to provide more opportunities, choice, and context for researchers and readers.
We are looking for a talented and creative individual to join our growing team in the role of Senior Social Media Manager. This role will be remote, based in the U.S. or U.K. and will report to the Sr. Communications Manager and partner closely with the outreach and editorial teams. The Senior Social Media Manager is responsible for the creation and execution of a comprehensive social media strategy designed to engage our authors and other stakeholders. This person will manage PLOS’ brand presence and reputation on social media and provide a common voice and persona aligned to our brand across all channels.
- Develop and execute a social media strategy for PLOS and its journals, the PLOS Blogs Network and PLOS Communities. This will include community engagement with current and prospective authors and be fully integrated into outreach and editorial communications strategies, ensuring alignment to and in support of company priorities and objectives.
- Develop an editorial calendar and curate content for existing social media channels while managing PLOS’ social media handles, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn activities and YouTube channels. Secure necessary content approvals and publish/schedule using social content management system.
- Manage complex public-facing escalations by diplomatically leading and influencing the parties involved including editorial staff, external authors, bloggers, and advocates. Assist in real-time monitoring and reporting on reputational concerns or issues.
- Stay well-versed in emerging trends in social media, new media, and technology. Conduct research on new and potentially useful platforms and make informed recommendations on their potential value to PLOS to meet organizational objectives.
- Work with and utilize analytics team and resources on an ongoing basis to identify effective social content strategies. Responsible for analytics and reporting for our social channels and blogs.
- Translate organization-level messages into different formats for different platforms, including blog posts and micro-blogs, to be distributed on PLOS Blogs or social media; distribute official statements as well.
- Assist in strategy development and real-time monitoring for specific projects and launch initiatives.
- Internal responsibilities include;
- Develop programs and procedures to streamline communication between editorial staff and social media representatives for individual journals/PLOS social media team to optimize social media presence and coverage.
- Create training materials and hold in-person and remote training sessions with staff on how to use social media to disseminate research for different research communities, different journals.
- Design and implement semi-annual workshops updating journal social media representatives on new strategies to achieve organization and journal-level communications goals. Also, provide a quarterly update of the results of social media campaigns and output.
- Assist PLOS editorial staff and other departments in shaping and developing social media tone, voice, and use of social listening insights to maximize PLOS awareness and community engagement through trainings and day-to-day interactions around social media.
Qualifications & Experience
- The successful candidate will be an accomplished social media professional with broad experience within publishing or a science-related environment, with an avid interest in and demonstrated knowledge of social media, including strategy, content development, and community management.
- Experience with social media tools for publishing, monitoring, and listening. The platforms we currently use are Sprout Social and Meltwater.
- Exceptional writer and storyteller, with experience in writing for traditional, online and social media. In-depth understanding of target audiences, expertise in high-impact messaging to broad audiences.
- Solid understanding and familiarity with new and emerging communications tools and digital channels.
- Experience in developing and executing strategic communications plans and correlating metrics, utilizing both media relations and social media tactics.
- Ability to distill complex information into compelling and simple terms, with an understanding of public perception and issues as they pertain to the scholarly publishing industry
- Strong interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work well within an organization and to influence teams to accomplish common goals and objectives.
- Ability to work well under pressure, with demonstrated success at working under deadlines with tight timeframes.
- Effective relationship-building skills and ability to work in a collaborative environment.
- Bachelor’s degree. Journalism, communications and/or scientific discipline preferred.
- 7+ years in the publishing industry or related field; science communications experience a major plus.