About The Port Authority
Founded in 1921, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey builds, operates, and maintains many of the most important transportation and trade infrastructure assets in the country. The agency's network of aviation, ground, rail, and seaport facilities is among the busiest in the country, supports more than 550,000 regional jobs, and generates more than $23 billion in annual wages and $80 billion in annual economic activity. The Port Authority also owns and manages the 16-acre World Trade Center site, where the 1,776-foot-tall One World Trade Center is now the tallest skyscraper in the Western Hemisphere.
Purpose of Role:
Lead the repositioning of the Port Authority’s high-traffic and high-visibility retail assets through inspired vision, curated leasing, and dynamic place-making activation. This retail repositioning effort is a priority for the Port Authority and represents a unique opportunity to combine transactional skills, creativity, and entrepreneurial energy in order to deliver a transformative retail experience to customers, with the support of Port Authority leadership.
- Collaborate with Port Authority senior leadership to build on a new vision for retail at Port Authority facilities – one in which retail serves as an amenity and enhancement to the customer experience through curated leasing with a strong emphasis on independent and local retail.
- Work with the Port Authority’s brokers and the retail leasing team and actively source tenants aligned with this new and exciting vision for retail.
- Lead negotiations with prospective retail tenants, alongside the Port Authority’s brokers and leasing team, from initial term sheet through lease closing.
- Manage the leasing team as it works with other departments to shepherd tenant designs through the Port Authority’s construction permitting process.
- Advance place-making ideas, such as third-party open -air food events and retail activations, from concept through execution.
- Manage the leasing team in performance of additional leasing functions, including strategic exits from non-core assets.
- Engage and work closely with internal Port Authority departments and stakeholders such as the Office of Planning and Regional Development, Office of Financial Planning, the Law Department, Tunnels, Bridges and Terminals Department, and PATH to advance lease transactions to a closing.
- Manage a team working with the Port Authority’s existing advertising contractor to generate revenue from advertising assets situated on Port Authority property. This includes significant assets at the Port Authority’s airports, bus terminals, and in the PATJ system as well as exterior billboards located on Port Authority property. The advertising business reflects an important revenue-generating extension of the Port Authority’s real estate and opportunity to collaborate with other Port Authority departments working to enhance the customer experience.
- Motivate and manage a team of staff, at varying skill levels, to execute on transaction strategies.
- Mentor and support junior staff members in their professional development.
Candidates must present the following qualifications to be considered eligible for this position:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Finance, Real Estate, Property Management or other related field. Advanced degree is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience successfully developing and implementing innovative strategies for curated retail leasing, retail activations, place-making, and asset repositioning.
- Demonstrated experience directing real estate leasing in a large-scale organization with respect to budgeting, financial controls, building consensus and collaboration among staff at all levels and with various stakeholders.
- Significant transactional experience and demonstrated proficiency in commercial real estate.
- Demonstrated experience working with tenants, brokers, developers, senior leaders of municipal/state/federal economic development and a proven track record in handling complex real estate transactions.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to interact effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to lead, motivate, mentor and develop diverse staff.
- Strong critical thinking, decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills.
Compensation & Benefits
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should apply to this job by clicking on the Apply Now button and submitting a combined cover letter and resume. The Port Authority of NY & NJ welcomes veteran and military spouse applications.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey/Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.