Journey Level Electrician
Founded in 1838, The Pennington School is an independent, coeducational school serving day and boarding students in grades 6 through 12. Total student enrollment is approximately 500, of which 25% are boarding students.
We are seeking a Journey Level Electrician to join our Operations & Maintenance Department. Reporting to the Assistant Director of Operations, the Electrician will complete electrical work on campus equipment and facilities in accordance with established trade practice, codes and standards.
- Install and service fixtures, motors, motor starters and other electrical equipment, including panelboards, receptacles and switches.
- Service and maintain light fixtures including LED, fluorescent, mercury vapor, quartz and high-pressure sodium bulbs, tubes, and ballasts.
- Service and perform preventive maintenance on electrical equipment and commercial appliances by inspecting, cleaning, adjusting and lubricating as needed or scheduled.
- Perform routine test on emergency lighting.
- Perform electrical demolition; install temporary wiring and preliminary wiring; install conduit, junction boxes and enclosures, and rough wiring of equipment and controls for HVAC systems.
- Interpret shop drawings/blueprints to complete responsibilities within construction/maintenance schedules. Determine proper voltage, amperage, wire size, conduit size and switches.
- Record field wiring changes/modifications on blueprints for recording on master circuit diagrams.
- Perform troubleshooting and emergency repairs on electrical equipment. Determine malfunction and formulate a course of action, which may include either adjust/repair or call for mechanical or operational assistance.
- Assist in controlling shop inventory of parts, tools, equipment and material; record repair and maintenance activities accomplished on equipment.
- Adhere to ethical standards and comply with the laws and regulations applicable to your job function.
- Work with other trades to effect the completion of installations and repairs within a time frame.
- Operate The Pennington School's vehicles in a safe manner.
- Perform other duties that may not be associated with the electrical trade, such as audio-visual needs and duties related to event set-ups and snow removal.
- A High School diploma or equivalent
- 3 plus years of fieldwork experience in the electrical trade
- Experience with electrical work is necessary, including a Journey Level Electrian's License
- Proficient in the diagnosis of electrical problems, the repair and maintenance of residential and light industrial electrical systems.
- The ability to read and understand construction blueprints, electrical construction prints and schematic diagrams.
- Adhere to the NJ State-mandated Journey Level Electrician requirements, including continuing education requirements.
- Must be willing and able to climb ladders, stairs and work on rooftops
- A valid driver's license.
- Must be available for overtime/on-call hours, including weekends and holidays, as needed
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- A successful State of New Jersey criminal background check
- Ability to follow all safety protocols and procedures
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds, with frequent lifting and/or carrying objects up to 50 pounds
- Frequent bending, pushing, reaching, climbing, and walking
Hours for this position are 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday with on-call and overtime required when needed. Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, résumé, and salary requirements at
This position is located at our 55-acre campus in Pennington, NJ. The ability to walk up and down stairs is required. Not all buildings on campus have elevators. The Pennington School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Pennington SchoolPennington, NJ
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.