PK-12 Athletics and Physical Education Director
- Posted: over a month ago
THE NUEVA SCHOOL
PK-12 ATHLETICS AND PHYSICAL EDUCATION DIRECTOR
(May be an Interim Position for 2022-23 or Full-time Staff Position)
The Nueva School competes in the West Bay Athletic League and Private School Athletic League of the Central Coast Section of the California Interscholastic Federation. The school offers boys and girls and middle and upper school programs including basketball, volleyball, soccer, tennis, cross country, track and field, flag football, golf, and swimming and diving. Physical education programs include conditioning, yoga, climbing, and strength training. Facilities include a combination of school owned on campus and leased off campus facilities. The school’s student athletes and teams have competed successfully, including winning team and individual league and section championships and top team and individual placings at state as well as excelling in outside sports ranging from speed skating to dressage, squash, fencing, sport climbing, lacrosse, and crew, to name just a few.
We are seeking applicants who represent the full diversity of our community in the Bay Area. Our ideal candidate will possess a deep appreciation for the diverse socioeconomic, racial, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, academic, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. In joining our team at Nueva, you will become a part of an inclusive, iterative and equity-minded community that recognizes that equity and social justice is a lens with which we examine all aspects of our school community in order to ensure an educational experience where all students and colleagues can thrive. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Nueva, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with Nueva’s Mission, Vision, and Values.
Position Summary and Primary Responsibilities
The PK-12 Athletics and Physical Education (PE) Director:
- Oversees the interscholastic athletics, club sports, and PE programs that support a comprehensive health and wellness PK-12 program across all divisions and campuses of the school.
- Reflects our values around community, participation, development, performance, and competitive success. Supports the range from beginner to championship caliber and university scholarship eligible scholar athletes and teams.
- Identifies and supports new and established sports and PE activities.
- Identifies, negotiates, and contracts coaches, faculty, and staff to support athletics, club sports, and PE programs across seasons, programs, and activities.
- Identifies and oversees management of existing facilities, equipment, and uniforms; identifies and advocates for new needs; and initiates and manages partnerships with facilities, transportation, and program partners to ensure access to resources to supplement our own. Such partners may include but not be limited to local municipal parks and recreation departments, colleges, schools, and commercial/ private organizations.
- Leads, coordinates, and ensures scheduling of and communications with all onsite and offsite facilities; internal and contract transportation; coaching, staff, and volunteers; athletes and students; and parents, families, and visitors.
- Partner with school administration, athletics administration, communications, development, admissions, college counseling, parent association, booster club, and students to oversee and manage the athletics website, social media, related information, and recruiting, including values, programs, schedules, scores, and stories. Provide a values aligned presentation of Nueva athletics, student athletes, and the greater school community.
- Ensure that onsite game operations are addressed.
- Represents the school in local, league, regional, state, and national associations.
- Ensures appropriate professional development for coaches, staff, and key partners.
- Supervises the PK-12 athletics and PE assistant director, other athletics and PE administrators, trainer, coaches, and staff.
- Collaborates with division directors to oversee PE faculty hiring, feedback, development, meetings, and scope and sequence of PE curriculum.
- Coaches and teaches as time, qualifications, needs, and interests require/permit.
- Manages operating and capital budgets in conjunction with the business office.
- Maintains all appropriate coach, student athlete, and competition / school records.
- Report to Associate Head of School and works closely with the Division Directors.
- University undergraduate (or higher) degree.
- Mastery and accomplishments in athletics at the secondary and/or university levels.
- Teaching and/or coaching experience in secondary, university, or equivalent.
- Leadership and management experience, including as an Athletic Director or comparable responsibility at the secondary or college level.
- Experience in hiring and professional development.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and follow through skills.
- Commitment to diversity.
- Familiarity, alignment, and commitment to school culture and values. High expectations for personal and team conduct among coaches, student athletes, staff, other students, and parents.
- Flexible and adaptive.
- Can do results orientation.
- Sense of humor.
- Genuine and warm personality.
This is a full time salaried and benefited position available now on an interim basis through January or June 2023 or a full-time staff position as of January 2023, or July 2023.
Please submit a cover letter, résumé, and the contact information, job title,and relationship for at least three professional references at https://nuevaschool.applytojob.com/apply. If you have questions about this position, please contact Scott Bowers, Director of Human Resources, at (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Nueva School is an Equal Opportunity Employer – we do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability or sex. We welcome applications from people of color and those with experience outside the education field.
About The Nueva School
The Nueva School, an internationally recognized, nonprofit, independent day school, has served gifted learners since 1967. Today, Nueva serves nearly 1000 students in grades PreK–12. Nueva is located in the neighboring towns of Hillsborough and San Mateo, equidistant between San Francisco and Silicon Valley, serving six counties throughout the Bay Area of Northern California.
A constructivist school, Nueva is known for its distinctive inquiry-based interdisciplinary studies, project-based learning, and pioneering work in social-emotional learning and design thinking. The Nueva community instills a passion for lifelong learning, fosters social and emotional acuity, and develops the imaginative mind. Our school has received the US Department of Education National Blue Ribbon Award, the US Department of Education National Green Ribbon Award, and the American Institute of Architects Award for School Design and Sustainability; has been recognized as an Apple Distinguished Program and appointed an Ashoka Changemaker School; co-founded the Common Ground Speaker Series; hosts the biennial Innovative Learning Conference, and was highlighted by the Pulitzer Prize–winning and New York Times best-selling author Thomas Friedman in his book That Used to Be Us in the chapter “Average Is Over.”
For more information about The Nueva School, visit our website: www.nuevaschool.org
Powered by JazzHR
The Nueva School
AddressSan Mateo, CA
EducationView all jobs at The Nueva School