Health Fitness Specialist - Baltimore, MD (Hampden)
- Posted: over a month ago
SUMMARY OF POSITION: The National Institute for Fitness and Sport is looking for a full-time Health Fitness Specialist (“Specialist”) for our retirement community client in Baltimore, Maryland. The community has a beautiful fitness center, pool and group fitness spaces and an active population of seniors who enjoy engaging in fitness programming! The Specialist uses specialized educational experience and training combined with independent judgment to ensure quality in all areas of the Fitness Center, including but not limited to, exercise program design, fitness testing, customer service, group exercise on land and in the water, and other Fitness Center and/or departmental initiatives. The Specialist reports to the facility Manager.
- Bachelor's degree in a health-related field from four-year college/university required
- Relevant job experience required
- Ability to teach basic group fitness classes on land and in water
- Ability to safely and accurately prescribe exercise for older adults using ACSM guidelines
- ACSM Health/Fitness Specialist Certification preferred; other industry-related certifications (CPT, CSCS, etc) acknowledged
- May be required to pass a background check and drug screen at any time.
- To safeguard its employees, our Client requires NIFS employees working at its site to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. NIFS therefore will require any person employed in this position to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, barring an approved exemption made subject to applicable law.
- Current CPR/AED/First Aid certification required
- Assesses health status of members, ranging from apparently healthy to high risk, to provide exercise and other wellness-related counsel/recommendations unique to each individual
- Exercise Prescriptions: Evaluates and combines member goals, health history, fitness test data, physician recommendations, ACSM guidelines, and other relevant information to create effective exercise programs; researches unknown conditions, goals, or other relevant information as needed
- Health Forms: Evaluates health forms in accordance with ACSM guidelines; uses professional judgment to accurately process each application
- Creates educational and program-specific print materials that are relevant to older adults and that convey safe and accurate health information; writes clearly and informatively, varies writing style to meet audience needs
- Teaches group exercise classes both on land and in water; provides a range of acceptable activities to meet various fitness levels of class participants; adheres to appropriate safety guidelines while keeping classes inviting, challenging, and well-attended
- Supervises fitness center and uses educational background and other relevant training to accurately and safely answer member questions related to health, fitness, and wellbeing
- Conducts orientations according to the facility layout, membership policies/procedures, and Quality Assurance guidelines
- Assists with marketing programs and services to members and other employees/residents of the client
- Partners with other staff to help clean equipment and other areas of the facility as needed Performs other duties as assigned
The National Institute for Fitness and Sport (NIFS)
Sports and RecreationView all jobs at The National Institute for Fitness and Sport (NIFS)