Intern, Editorial Assistant Internship
- $20 to $20 Hourly
Editorial Assistant Intern (Seattle or Washington, D.C.)
The National Bureau of Asian Research (NBR) is seeking a part-time Editorial Assistant (12 hours per week). This paid internship will run from September 2023 to February 2024. This position can be based in either NBR's Seattle or Washington, D.C., office, and a hybrid remote/in-office schedule option is available.
The Editorial Assistant position offers current MA and PhD students the opportunity to acquire professional experience in publishing while working at a nonprofit research institution that focuses on U.S. policy toward the Asia-Pacific. The Editorial Assistant will support the Managing Editor of Asia Policy and the Publications Director in the administration and editing of NBR publications, including the peer-reviewed journal Asia Policy, the edited volume Strategic Asia, and the NBR Special Report series, while also helping with distribution and marketing.
- Assisting with formatting, fact-checking, copyediting, and proofreading manuscripts for Asia Policy, NBR Special Report, and the NBR website
- Providing research and clerical support for the managing editor of Asia Policy, including communicating with prospective authors and reviewers, drafting contracts, tracking manuscripts, researching new projects, and conducting journal outreach
- Assisting with the distribution of NBR publications, including fulfilling orders
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field
- Current MA or PhD student
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Positive work ethic and the ability to work both independently and as part of a group
- Interest in editing/publishing; interest in Asia studies and international relations is a plus
- Familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style is a plus
The National Bureau of Asian Research is a nonprofit, nonpartisan research institution dedicated to informing and strengthening policy in the Asia-Pacific. NBR conducts advanced independent research on strategic, political, economic, energy, and environmental issues affecting U.S. relations with Asia. To learn more about NBR, please visit www.nbr.org.
The application period for this position will close on July 19, 2023. To apply, submit the following materials with your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Cover letter summarizing your experience as it applies to the outlined responsibilities and qualifications.
- Recent writing sample that has not been edited by anyone else.
- Contact information for 3 professional and/or academic references (Will not be contacted until final interview stage).
- A proofreading test will be given to applicants as part of the interview process.
This is a hybrid position based in our Seattle or Washington, DC office. Part-Time staff are expected to work in-office one day per week. The expected pay range for this position is $19.50 per hour to $20.00 per hour, depending on education.
This is a special assignment (6 month) position with excellent benefits. NBR provides 19 paid holidays per year, up to 56 hours of paid sick leave (calculated at the rate of 1 hour for every 30 hours worked), and 2 days of paid professional development leave. NBR covers 80% of employees' public transit expenses.
NBR is committed to a workplace where inclusion is not only valued but prioritized. We're an equal opportunity employer and strive to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, pregnancy or parental status, creed, military or veteran status, religion, ancestry, or national origin, disability, or other status or characteristic protected by applicable law.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during either the application or the recruiting process, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
The National Bureau of Asian ResearchSeattle, WA
Arts and Entertainment
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.