The Mx Group is looking for a skilled technical project manager to help us deliver innovative mobile and web apps for a wide range of clients. The right candidate is immersed in application technology and process, a confident leader who motivates project teams, ensures quality and holds team members accountable so they can achieve their goals on projects. This is a unique opportunity to help one of the top marketing agencies produce award-winning apps for businesses around the world!
The technical project manager will work closely with our application development department on Agile Scrum teams that include business analysts, developers, account managers, creatives and external vendors. This position reports to the director of operations, who oversees a growing team of project managers serving the agency.
- Project workflow management
- Ownership and accountability for each project you lead, ensuring all problems are being solved and reporting on progress against each, while fluidly keeping the project on track
- Prioritize, plan and enforce key milestones while adapting as needed
- Conduct scrum ceremonies (sprints, demos, backlog grooming, postmortems, etc.)
- Look for efficiency improvements, balancing creativity with practicality
- Constant communication across functionally diverse teams
- Collaborate with account management, digital teams and creative teams
- Discuss technical details in depth with software engineers, be able to ask insightful questions and understand the answers
- Keep the team informed about project status and schedule, be comfortable delivering both good and bad news
- Help the team learn from mistakes and recognize successes
- Project scoping for complex technical projects
- Assist business leads in defining initial scope and setting milestones
- Ensure that each team member understands project requirements and expectations upfront
- Project financial life cycle management
- Manage, monitor and maintain project scope
- Proactively escalate concerns regarding possible scope changes
- Pinpoint a specific cause for each overage and explain it with objectivity
- Resource management
- Use project management software to develop project schedules, budget, plan, and allocate resources according to deadlines
- Prioritize total workload with the client-aligned team and communicate progress, deadlines, and outstanding questions to the broader agency teams
What We're Looking For
- 4–7 years of experience managing technical projects at a software development company, digital agency or consulting firm
- Expertise in Agile software development, including the Scrum process
- A deep understanding of the software development life cycle (SDLC) and the technologies used at every phase of both mobile and web app development
- Experience managing the project life cycle with tools like: Jira, Trello, Microsoft Project, Workamajig, etc.
- The ability to prioritize (and reprioritize) tasks across many concurrent projects
- Attention to detail – ability to capture those tasks that everyone assumes will be completed, that might otherwise slip through the cracks
- Unafraid to make mistakes, learn from them, and avoid making them again
- An honest, enthusiastic and positive person!
- Bachelor’s degree
Nice, but not deal-breakers
- Experience working as a developer
- Certifications: PMP, SCM, Scrum Master, CSSGB, CAPM
- MS in Project Management, MBA with Project Management focus
A leading B2B agency, The Mx Group has consistently received awards both for our work and our company culture, and we are ranked among the top 5 B2B agencies in the country by B2B Marketing. Located 20 minutes from downtown Chicago, The Mx Group empowers companies with the competitive edge of modern B2B marketing. To do this, we integrate a broad set of services: Strategy. Design and content. Web and app development. Demand gen and lead management. We make it all work together to help companies attract, engage and convert more customers. For 30 years, clients have trusted us to turn their marketing investments into measurable revenue.
Why you'll love working here
In a word: people. In a broader sense: company culture. And some pretty sweet benefits, too.
At The Mx Group, you’ll find we genuinely value and support each other — as people and as coworkers — as we produce award-winning work together. You aren’t likely to find another team so focused on collaboration and so dedicated to success.
We’re proud of the environment that we’ve nurtured, and because of that, we’re always looking for new ways to brighten up our team’s work day. We’re more into lunchtime board games than drama, and we don’t mind throwing in a chili cook-off or a bags tournament here and there. We’ll celebrate the start of Friday summer hours together, and enjoy a week off at the end of each year.
Plus, we offer a full benefits package, including gym membership reimbursement, paid parental leave, medical/dental/vision insurance and a 401(k) program. In short, you’re going to love coming to work.
The Mx Group is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. That means we not only provide equal opportunity and consideration to all employees and applicants for employment — we welcome it. We won’t unlawfully discriminate on the basis of gender identity or expression, race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, and any other category protected by law, because we believe diversity drives us to deliver more valuable and meaningful experiences to clients and employees.