Chief Executive Officer
The Moran Company Denver, CO
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Chief Executive Officer
National Ski Patrol
The National Ski Patrol is a federally-chartered, charitable, nonprofit corporation established 83 years ago. As the leading authority on winter mountain safety, the National Ski Patrol (NSP) is dedicated to serving the public and outdoor recreation industry by providing education and accreditation to emergency care and safety service providers. Its mission is “To help keep people safe on the mountain and during other outdoor activities.”
The organization is made up of more than 33,000 members serving over 650 patrols. Our members work on behalf of local outdoor recreation areas, including winter snow sports areas, to improve the overall experience for outdoor recreationalists. The mission is addressed through a staff of 18 based in Lakewood, Colorado, and an annual revenue budget of approximately $3 million.
NSP was formed by its members to support and participate in the ski and outdoor recreation community by credentialing providers and providing emergency care, rescue, and safety education services, thereby benefiting both its members and the general public. While NSP is made up of divisions, regions and sections, the various ski and bike patrols that are operated by Ski Areas or Bike entities are affiliated with but not directed by the NSP. Most of the members of those patrols are also members of the NSP.
The NSP offers courses in eight different disciplines (such as Outdoor Emergency Transportation, Avalanche, Mountain Travel and Rescue, and Outdoor Emergency Care) and certifications in multiple levels. Members are supported through an extensive volunteer leadership structure with 10 geographical divisions and one professional division. The National Ski Patrol further advances its mission with the support of industry and corporate partners across all facets of the outdoor industry. Among the most recognized and most well-respected organizations in the outdoor industry, NSP offers its partners broad visibility and credibility.
The CEO of the National Ski Patrol will lead all operational aspects of the organization. The CEO is the primary face and voice of the National Ski Patrol and acts as the brand ambassador and a snow sports and outdoor recreation industry leader. With primary responsibility for revenue goals, the CEO leads NSP in membership programs, fundraising, and sponsorships. The CEO reports to the Board of Directors through the Board Chair. The members of the NSP Board of Directors are all members first who have a passionate interest in serving all members and are very engaged in oversight of the organization.
The ideal candidate for this position possesses:
- Demonstrated leadership excellence as an executive in a membership association.
- Excellent relationship management skills (volunteers, employees, vendors, industry partners and sponsors).
- Ability to build rapport with the board of directors and support many committees and task forces in the volunteer leadership structure.
- Ability to lead in strategic and operational planning, oversee implementation of the strategic plan. and inspire staff, board, and stakeholders to work toward that future.
- Exceptional communications skills - verbal, written, public speaking and presentation.
- Work closely within the snow sports and outdoor recreation industry as a leader and advocate for the NSP and its mission.
- Increase the number and the quality of NSP industry partners and sponsors.
- Support membership recruiting and retention.
- Develop and lead creative fundraising efforts.
- Execute initiatives and strategic directives as provided by the Board of Directors and ensure continuing progress toward accomplishing the goals and objectives of the strategic plan.
- Enhance the brand value of the NSP within the membership, industry and public.
- Manage the operations of the NSP and of the Lakewood, CO office.
- Oversee the development and delivery of high-quality educational programs and processes for Quality Assurance.
- Ensure that the NSP courses and certifications remain the benchmark or standard in the snow sports and outdoor recreation industry.
- Foster an environment of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Establish and maintain an IT structure and system that serves the needs of the members and the organization.
- Ensure the stability and sustainability of the organization, Manage the finances and maintain a balanced budget for the organization.
- Maintain effective infrastructure of the organization including staff and physical assets.
- Foster an active and collaborative partnership with the Board of Directors and committee members to collectively achieve the organization’s goals.
- Ensure proper annual member registration, credentialing and record keeping.
Qualifications – Required & Preferred
- Related college degree, and advanced degree preferred (e.g., MBA, Marketing, M.Ed.).
- Five years (minimum) management experience in a leadership role. Association and/or nonprofit organization experience with board-reporting level preferred.
- Experienced, knowledgeable and passionate about outdoor recreation. Professional experience in outdoor recreation industry preferred.
- Able to travel to locations throughout the United States and occasionally other countries to attend conferences, Division meetings, and other NSP or industry related events required. Depending on the season, travel may be up to 60% of the calendar.
- Dedicated to increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the outdoor industry and the workplace.
- Strong project management skills and ability to complete projects on time and on budget with understanding of business operations and management including: HR, legal, accounting, finance, and facility management.
Other Qualifications - Preferred
- Certified Association Executive
- Experience in senior non-profit leadership roles and understanding of related legal issues
- Demonstrated ability to develop and retain corporate partnerships
- Experience in education and curriculum development
- Proven ability in leading and managing fundraising efforts including donations, grants and sponsorships
- Experience with high quality member publications
- Tech savvy and computer literate
The projected compensation range for this position is $120,000-$150,000 annually, and determined in accordance with the background and experience of the selected candidate. NSP benefits currently include health insurance, 401(K), holidays, vacation, sick leave, a wellness benefit, and industry pro deals.
To apply for this position, submit resume and cover letter to Bruce Scott, The Moran Company, through the link below. Within your cover letter or resume, please be sure to provide a description of your qualifications related to the Position Summary and “ideal candidate” traits.
Please Note: We expect that preliminary interviews will be completed remotely. We do plan for finalist candidates to visit NSP in person and complete final interviews in-person, depending of course upon local/regional restrictions and travel guidelines at the time.
The NSP is an equal opportunity employer.
Powered by JazzHR
The Moran Company
BusinessView all jobs at The Moran Company